Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Who gets what seat? Baby, 3 year, 6 year olds??

I need your help, as my brain is overloaded with the options!
    I have a 5 month old who HATES his infant carrier on trips over 5 minutes. So I need to move him to a convertible. I'll list the seats we own, kids and then give me any and all suggestions as to how to do this. I'm willing to buy new seats/boosters, but have no clue as to which seats will last us, be economical and functional! Ryan sits well in booster in town, but we make 35-90 mile trips at least once a week, we haven't yet let him sit in a booster for those.

I like the marathons, but also really like the true fit, but open to any and all suggestions on the best arrangements. We have 2 vans and like to have seats in each of them for each child.

KIDS
    Ry--age 6 this month, 42 pounds and 42 inches--not sure of torso height, but he still fit in our old evenflo advance, with room to spare, but was over the 40 lb mark

Erin--age 3.5, 35 pounds, 39 inches

Ethan--age 5 months

SEATS
    2 Marathons (Ryan in one, Erin in one), one expires 2009, other 2011
    2 Evenflo Triumph Advances (40 pound limit), both expire 2009 (hate this seat!)
    1 Radian 65--2014 expiration (would consider selling, as its a pain to install in our odyssey)
    1 Vivo Lite booster

Okay, if you can figure this out for me, I'd be grateful, so I can sleep at night!
    Megan

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Who gets what seat? Baby, 3 year, 6 year olds??

2 Evenflo Triumph Advances (40 pound limit), both expire 2009 (hate this seat!)
    I thought the triumph advance seats had a 50lb limit on the harness. The original triumph had the 40lb limit.

What about this configuration:
    6 year old:
    Vivo booster
    Marathon

3.5 year old:
    Evenflo Triumph Advance
    Radian (install it in the car where it installs well)

5 month old:
    Marathon
    Evenflo Triumph Advance

In 2009 when the Triumphs and marathons expire, you can buy a new seat then. If you really want to replace a seat now though, maybe get a frontier or nautilus for the oldest and pass some seats down.
    Katy

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

So, you need two seats for each child, yes?

Cheapest option (and still only temporary):
    I'd say buy a Nautilus or Frontier for RY. That will easily get him to an age where he can use a booster full-time, and both convert to good boosters. OR it could be handed-down to Erin at that point and you could get Ry a dedicated booster.

Use the 2 Marathons and 2 Evenflos for Erin and Ethan.

More expensive option:

Since you said you hate the Evenflos, you could pass both Marathons down to Ethan, and buy two Nautiluses or Frontiers - one for Ry, one for Erin - and have Erin use the Radian in your other vehicle.

That's assuming you're not squeezing them 3-across in your second car, of course.
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!

I like the idea of getting 2 new seats, but may have to do it over the next few months. I know the triumph's only have 40 pound limits, so they may not be advances?

Are the nautilus and true fit the best options? I can wait till Jan. if a newer better seat is coming? Also what booster would you recommend if I were to move Ry to one now?
    Thanks
    Megan

Quote Originally Posted by mom2Ry,Erin,Baby View Post
    I like the idea of getting 2 new seats, but may have to do it over the next few months. I know the triumph's only have 40 pound limits, so they may not be advances?

Are the nautilus and true fit the best options? I can wait till Jan. if a newer better seat is coming? Also what booster would you recommend if I were to move Ry to one now?
    Thanks
    Megan
    The Vivo is my favorite booster, but could you swing 1 Nautilus right now? They're on sale at Amazon.com for $129 with free shipping and no tax.
    DD1--4/6/2006--Britax Parkway SGL
    DD2--12/9/2012--Britax Advocate and Marathon

If one car is used less, use the Vivo in that car, otherwise I'd buy a Nautilus for Ryan.

Ryan:
    Radian
    Vivo or Nautilus

Erin:
    2 Marathons - she's close enough to 40lbs, I'd put her in a high weight harness so I didn't have to worry about it.

Ethan:
    2 Triumphs - I think these are nicer RFing than FFing anyway.

In 2009 when the Triumphs and one Marathon expire, I'd pass down the other Marathon to Ethan and get him a TrueFit as a second seat, and either pass down the Radian and the Nautilus to Erin and get another Vivo for Ryan or buy 2 more Nautiluses for Erin. In 2011 when the other Marathon expires, pass a harnessed seat down to Ethan and buy another booster.
    Liz
    Mom to:
    Rachael (11/03), Emily (8/06), and Naomi (1/09)