Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Bye sweet Safe Embrace RIP - one down, one to go!

I dismantled one of my precious FP Safe Embrace seats today.
    My grandson doesn't need it any more, and it will expire in March 09 so I can't give it to anyone. It was THE BEST seat! *sigh*

I cut the straps (may save the tether strap for...something...I don't know what, but that hook looks like it would be good for something! ), pulled out the foam, wrote "expired - broken - do not use all over it, put it in the big garbage can and dumped old salsa and used kitty litter over it.

I still have the blue velour cover. Dang, it still looks practically new. If anyone has a FPSE that is good for longer than mine was and wants the cover FFS, let me know!

Now I have to remember where the other FP seat is . Hmmmmm.

Update at #8.
    Last edited by tjham; 03-01-2009 at 11:47 PM.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member MOM25BOYS's Avatar

Re: Bye sweet Safe Embrace RIP - one down, one to go!

Love the kitty litter touch!
    Elizabeth SAHM to 5 Boys and 1 Fuzzy Dog ...
    Aaron/13yrs-130lbs~Caleb/10yrs-70lbs/Harmony Booster
    Jacob/9yrs-67lbs/Harmony Booster~Gabriel/7yrs-54lbs/Monterey~Matthew/5yrs-41lbs/Monterey~Otto/8mths-21lbs/Solvit Pet Harness

I'm gonna remember the used kitty litter thing.

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Ah...sweet sweet FPSE... I always thought the RF belt path over the cover but under a flap was a touch of genius...
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Carseat Crazy

Oh heck, I loved that seat. Except it had no padding in the butt area. Still love it....
    Jessie

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

I use the LATCH strap from my old Husky to secure the dog. Might be a similar use for your TT
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

Quote Originally Posted by jb5416 View Post
    Oh heck, I loved that seat. Except it had no padding in the butt area. Still love it....
    Jessie
    Funny you should mention that - when I took the cover off, I discovered two disposable diapers positioned in that exact area!
    Apparently, the lack of padding bothered me also!

I had to cut the tether off the seat so I have to find a use for it that doesn't involve looping the other end.
    That kind of limits its use, doesn't it...

Oh, I forgot to mention that my husband was with me in the garage while I did this, with an incredulous look on his face.
    At first he said, "but somebody else could use it".
    After I explained about expiration dates, brittle plastic, etc. his eyes glazed over
    and he quietly resigned himself to watching the crazy woman go at it...

Update:

I found the other one and destroyed it today. Didn't have any old salsa so I poured a cup of milk over it (in the trash can) before putting the kitty litter on it. That milk will sour pretty fast, the temp here is already over 80 degrees!

The straps were still totally flat and untwisted after EIGHT years. Why can't other companies figure out how to accomplish that?

HUGS! I still have mine, I just can't bare to throw it out. The straps are AWESOME!

Emily tech and mom to Jacob 16, Daniel 13, Benjamin 9, Elizabeth 6. Child care provider to 4 other kiddos.