August heat or December cold?

Splash

I was signed up to take the class at our FD whenever they did it, either Nov or Dec.
I got an email yesterday that there is a private class in August in Tampa that she will get me into if I want to.

Pros-
Private versus public class
3.5 months sooner

Cons-
August. Florida. Cars.
(Minor) In Tampa versus St. Pete

What would you do? The Nov/Dec class would be cooler weather, that's for sure! Plus it is one day per weekend for four weeks. The August class would be two weekends in a row. And I would have to drive to Tampa (anywhere from 20 minutes to over an hour depending on traffic and what part of tampa) versus a mile away.

August will likely be mid 90s all day every day. Nov/Dec will be anywhere from 40-70, depending on what color pants the governor is wearing that day.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Well, seeing as I'm taking it on Monday here in NC, I'm obviously a sucker for punishment. LOL

Though I'd probably wait until the fall as well, since you know of one happening close to you then. This is still the only one vaguely nearby to me, so putting it off wouldn't have worked happily for me.

Wendy

rachel3612

Senior Community Member
I would go with the colder one. LOL I have done checks in 110 degree weather with very little shade. NOT FUN. You will be outside in cars for half of the class so if you don't like the heat go with the later one.

It rained on my class and we still had to be out in the cars. It was fun though and it wasn't hot. I took it in March I was 15 or so wks pg. My friend and my DH took it in June and it was hot.

skaterbabs

I've done checks in 110* temps, and I did a check last fall where it was really cold. Honestly, while the heat was murder, installing seats in the cold and trying work work around heavy clothes was a nightmare.
Since only about half of the class is outdoors you'd have to decide which you'd rather deal with, heat or cold. Although, I guess it doesn't get *that* cold in Fla. lol

skipspin

Where is the class in Tampa? I took mine at the Westshore AAA and the parking lot is shaded....I'm sure it will still be hot, though.

Personally I would take it sooner, but I also don't mind the heat.

Also, there were supposed to be 7 in my class, but because the VW people seemed to have better things to do, there were only four of us. I think VW and AAA sponsored it, so I'm guessing that was "private?"

I also second the idea of trying NOT to be a know-it-all. I listened, but didn't study out of class at all and got a 100%. I also installed the required seats and got checked off two hours early and go to go home early that day :)) The only thing I really had to work on was the NHTSA stuff and some of the number facts- I'm not so great remembering numbers.

Have fun deciding.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC