Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Smile Looking for good affordable convertible carseat

Hello All,
    I am looking for a good convertible car seat. My baby is over 9 months old and has out grown the infant carrier. We were looking at the safety first convertible or perhaps the Evenflo Titan, any input would be much appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

The Cosco Scenera (on sale right now for $35 at Kmart). $40 regular price at Target. It RF to 35 lbs and FF to 40 lbs. The slots are a little low, so it will be outgrown FF fairly soon after turning FF, but at that price you'll likely get 2-3 years out of it in which to save up for a nice FF-only seat. The straps are a little twisty, but as long as you're diligent about keeping them tight when baby is in the seat, and untwisting them before buckling baby in, they're not too bad.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

kelly
    I used the Scenera for awhile for my tall 3 to 3.5 year old. It worked great. Very nice seat for the money. Its pretty tall in the shell, and is taller in the slots than many seats. Its something to compare when you try out seats, as its not written on the box anywhere. I don't know anything about the Titan, but something to check (shell height and strap height).

She used the Scenera after outgrowing an older FP seat by height. It didn't last her as long as I'd hoped, but she was in a HUGE growth spurt. The Scenera shell was considerably taller, which was nice b/c the truck it was in had the glass window right behind her head. In the Scenera, she was totally under the seat shell. The straps were about a 1/2-1" taller if I recall.

Specifically what Safety 1st seat are you looking at?

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar
    ITA with the others, for convertibles on a budget the only one I really recommend is the Cosco Scenera.

Evenflo and Graco convertible seats only rear-face to 30 pounds. They are usually outgrown quickly. The Graco's harness adjuster is usually difficult to reach when rear-facing. The Graco is outgrown the soonest of all convertibles. The Titan is a bear to use properly (loosen and tighten harness especially, after the seat has been used awhile).

The only other convertibles I routinely recommend are the Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe (rear-faces to 33 pounds, forward-faces to 55 pounds, $160-$170), the Sunshine Kids Radian (rear-faces to 33 pounds, forward-faces to 65 pounds, $180-$200) the Britax Marathon/Decathlon/Boulevard (rear-faces to 33 pounds and forward-faces to 65 pounds, $220-$290).

Sometimes the Safety 1st Intera isn't a bad choice, either.
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche