RF or FF on a plane?

menfusse

We are flying for the very first time in a week. It's a pretty long flight, KY-CA. I'm taking a Scenera because it's way lighter than our Decathlon. She's RF in the car and I was wondering if that's something we continue on the plane? She's almost 3 (in 2weeks) and about 24.5 lbs, and just over 34 inches.

Also, is there any sort of different thing or something specific I need to know about installing the seat on the plane?

And, just for bragging rights and to solicit votes when the time comes...the reason we are flying to California, specifically San Francisco is that Emily is a finalist in this year's BabyGap Casting call!!! I'm in complete shock and swore I'd never fly unless it was life or death. But, how can I pass up such an opportunity?

ADS

tiggercat

I'd RF her, if possible. IMO, it's better to RF on a plane if possible because the distance between the seats is so small that a child in a FF seat could very well impact the seat in front of them. She will probably be quite upright, but at her age that isn't an issue.

If you do FF, you might ask for a belt extender, so you can ensure that you can undo the lapbelt at the end. Sometimes they get stuck in a difficult spot and can make it difficult to uninstall.

MomToEliEm

At her age, you really can go either way on the plane. I prefer rearfacing because then the child is looking at me and I can entertain her easily. She is also less likely to be bothering the person in front of us by her kicking the seat.

If you do forward face, remember to move the straps up if needed so that they are at or above the child's shoulders.

Congratulations to your daughter on becoming a finalist in the BabyGap Contest. I hope she does really well during her trip in California! I hope you all enjoy your trip and get to do some fun things while you are there.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC