Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Installing w/out Locking Seatbelts

So the grandma of my foster son just came and got him for the weekend and she was in her daughter's car so she took the carseats I installed out of her car to put in her daugher's.

So I told her I would come and look at them to see how they are in. They were just belted through, I could lift the carseat off the seat easily. So I redid it. I did the same that I do in my car, pulled the seatbelt all the way out, buckled it, got it supertight. And wiggled it and it didn't move an inch. But then I check the seatbelt, and it wasn't locked! It's a 99 Chrysler 300 M and I figured it would have locking seatbelts but I could not figure out how to lock them. She did not have her manual with her. And I couldn't find the locking clips on the 2 new Sceneras she bought. I have never installed a carseat without locking seatbelts..

Even though they weren't locked, I could not move the carseat at all. But I'm sure in the event of an accident, it would move. She was in a hurry to go get her granddaughter so I said I would reinstall them when she brought the kids back and I'd try to find the locking clips then.

Couple questions-
    Does anyone know if this car's seatbelts lock? If so- How?
    Does anyone know where the locking clips are located on the scenera?
    Where does the locking clip go on the seatbelt? By the buckle?

Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Installing w/out Locking Seatbelts

DD1--4/6/2006--Britax Parkway SGL
    DD2--12/9/2012--Britax Advocate and Marathon

CPS Technician crunchierthanthou's Avatar

Yes, her seatbelts lock. All passengers vehicles after 1996 are required to have locking seatbelts- either at the retractor or the latchplate. Generally, Chrysler vehicles lock at the latchplate. You said the install was solid. If you had tried pulling the lap portion of the seatbelt instead of the shoulder, it probably wouldn't have budged.

It's pretty common for people to think their seatbelts don't lock when there are locking latchplates. It seems universally understood that seatbelts lock when you pull them out all the way, but of course that only applies to switchable retractors.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

Ah, the latchplate. How would I have gotten that to lock? I think it probably was locked since the install was solid. But how did I do it without knowing? Just by pulling it tight?

CPS Technician crunchierthanthou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie87 View Post
    Ah, the latchplate. How would I have gotten that to lock? I think it probably was locked since the install was solid. But how did I do it without knowing? Just by pulling it tight?
    the lightweight style on lap/shoulder belts look slight different, but work on the same principle as seen here-

as long as it's all parallel, it should stay locked. If it's slipping because of the angle, you can flip the male side one half turn (180 degrees). By buckling it backward you better align belt portions and latchplate so it can function properly.

I am just starting to learn all of this... and I'm not sure what the male side is? Is it the actual belt part that buckles into the buckle?

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie87 View Post
    I am just starting to learn all of this... and I'm not sure what the male side is? Is it the actual belt part that buckles into the buckle?
    Think of your anatomy Female is the hollow part of the buckle that you buckle into, male is the actual part that you buckle attached to the seatbelt.
    DD1--4/6/2006--Britax Parkway SGL
    DD2--12/9/2012--Britax Advocate and Marathon

I have a 1999 Plymouth (Chrysler). Here is what my locking latchplates look like.

In this first picture it is buckled normally. (I utilize both clips on the BLVD.)

But in this second picture, you can see I had to flip the buckle upside down. (Radian) Every car seat I have installed in this spot would become loose easily if I don't flip over the buckle. But, since your install stayed tight, maybe you don't have to flip it over.
    I'm not a tech, so do what they say, I just thought a visual might be helpful if these buckles are the same.
    (The lap belt portion is what is coming over the top, and the shoulder belt portion is underneath.)
    Last edited by monstah; 11-08-2008 at 08:25 AM.

Ahh.. okay I get it! Thank you everyone! I will make sure they are locked when I see her next, maybe switch the male part over.