Installing w/out Locking Seatbelts

Blondie87

So the grandma of my foster son just came and got him for the weekend and she was in her daughter's car so she took the carseats I installed out of her car to put in her daugher's.

So I told her I would come and look at them to see how they are in. They were just belted through, I could lift the carseat off the seat easily. So I redid it. I did the same that I do in my car, pulled the seatbelt all the way out, buckled it, got it supertight. And wiggled it and it didn't move an inch. But then I check the seatbelt, and it wasn't locked! It's a 99 Chrysler 300 M and I figured it would have locking seatbelts but I could not figure out how to lock them. She did not have her manual with her. And I couldn't find the locking clips on the 2 new Sceneras she bought. I have never installed a carseat without locking seatbelts..

Even though they weren't locked, I could not move the carseat at all. But I'm sure in the event of an accident, it would move. She was in a hurry to go get her granddaughter so I said I would reinstall them when she brought the kids back and I'd try to find the locking clips then.

Couple questions-
Does anyone know if this car's seatbelts lock? If so- How?
Does anyone know where the locking clips are located on the scenera?
Where does the locking clip go on the seatbelt? By the buckle?

Thanks in advance! :)

ADS

crunchierthanthou

Yes, her seatbelts lock. All passengers vehicles after 1996 are required to have locking seatbelts- either at the retractor or the latchplate. Generally, Chrysler vehicles lock at the latchplate. You said the install was solid. If you had tried pulling the lap portion of the seatbelt instead of the shoulder, it probably wouldn't have budged. :)

skaterbabs

:yeahthat:

It's pretty common for people to think their seatbelts don't lock when there are locking latchplates. It seems universally understood that seatbelts lock when you pull them out all the way, but of course that only applies to switchable retractors.

Blondie87

Ah, the latchplate. How would I have gotten that to lock? I think it probably was locked since the install was solid. But how did I do it without knowing? Just by pulling it tight?

crunchierthanthou

Ah, the latchplate. How would I have gotten that to lock? I think it probably was locked since the install was solid. But how did I do it without knowing? Just by pulling it tight?

the lightweight style on lap/shoulder belts look slight different, but work on the same principle as seen here-

lockinglatchplate.jpg

as long as it's all parallel, it should stay locked. If it's slipping because of the angle, you can flip the male side one half turn (180 degrees). By buckling it backward you better align belt portions and latchplate so it can function properly.

Blondie87

I am just starting to learn all of this... and I'm not sure what the male side is? Is it the actual belt part that buckles into the buckle? :confused:

BW1426

I am just starting to learn all of this... and I'm not sure what the male side is? Is it the actual belt part that buckles into the buckle? :confused:

Think of your anatomy :whistle: Female is the hollow part of the buckle that you buckle into, male is the actual part that you buckle attached to the seatbelt.

monstah

I have a 1999 Plymouth (Chrysler). Here is what my locking latchplates look like.

In this first picture it is buckled normally. (I utilize both clips on the BLVD.)
100_3655.jpg

But in this second picture, you can see I had to flip the buckle upside down. (Radian) Every car seat I have installed in this spot would become loose easily if I don't flip over the buckle. But, since your install stayed tight, maybe you don't have to flip it over.
I'm not a tech, so do what they say, I just thought a visual might be helpful if these buckles are the same.
(The lap belt portion is what is coming over the top, and the shoulder belt portion is underneath.)
100_3654.jpg

Last edited:

Blondie87

Ahh.. okay I get it! Thank you everyone! I will make sure they are locked when I see her next, maybe switch the male part over. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC