Would you put a

sunnymw

Rear-facing car seat in the front passenger seat of a car w/ airbag disabled, if there were three younger kids sitting in the back, and the baby had a habit of puking/choking often?

Just wondering. The mama is all for putting her 5yo back in a harness, and ERFing her 4mo (who is 20lbs and has outgrown the bucket, so I don't know how "extended" she'll be able to RF...), but still wants to keep him in the front. I don't think she's going to budge on this one thing...

Also, do front passenger seatbelts lock?

ADS

emars002

I don't think I would trust a disabled airbag. If there were no airbag at all, maybe a slight chance I would if I had to but just disabled, I would not.

HEVY

Maybe if it were removed, or disabled manually, and I really, really had to, eh, I don't know. In both my cars the passenger side shoulder harness locks.

J-max

CPST Instructor
I do in our trucks when I am feeding cows all winter - but there are NO airbags. I have atleast the 2 little girls, and often all 4 with me when I feed and if they are upfront, they tend to kick the truck out of gear. I am in and out of it several times and on the back throwing hay, so I CAN NOT have them kicking the gear shift. So the baby sits upfront.

BW1426

I'd be very clear with her that even though the airbag is disabled there is still a chance that it will go off. Do we have any crash test footage of a RFing seat with an airbag going off? As a tech, I would not touch a rfing carseat going into a front seat that had an airbag, disabled or not. If they took the airbag out, I'd feel differently, but I think they're going to be hard pressed to find someone that would do this.

Note: I'm assuming we're talking about someone in the US. Yes, I know that RFing carseats go in front of disabled airbags in Sweden all the time :blah blah blah:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I don't have a fully formed opinion. If it's manually disabled (as in under the hood and not a sensor,) than I think it would be an ok option. I know there are pick up trucks which don't even have a back seat and the child rides rf'ing in those. I actually have a friend with an older truck without airbags who I advised to just keep his kid rf'ing in the front seat as long as possible rather than turning ff'ing once she hit 22lbs.

Since this is a medical necessity & there is no chance of the airbag going off, I'd hesitantly ok it.

As for will the seatbelt lock, yes, it will. All seating positions except for the driver should lock in all vehicles made since 1997.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
i agree...if it is physically disabled, or there simply is no airbag, like in an older vehicle, I would feel okay with it, because essentially, it would be the same thing as riding in a pickup, which many families do...is the backseat the safest place? Of course. but sometimes not an option. And while the risk in an accident is higher, statistically, but if the definite danger of immediate death by airbag is gone...it"s not really all that much higher.
however...I would ask..how old are the 3 other kids? You do mention a 5 year old....is that the oldest? because I would think a 5 yr old would be able enough to monitor the infant such that if choking happened, he could notify mom, you know? Is that an option?

crunchierthanthou

Rear-facing car seat in the front passenger seat of a car w/ airbag disabled, if there were three younger kids sitting in the back, and the baby had a habit of puking/choking often?

I'm not sure I'm reading this right. Are there 3 kids total or 3 other kids in the back? If three already in the back, then yes. When you consider the advice we often give to put the most protected child in the least protected seating position, I think it's okay to put a rf infant in the front seat. That is, as long as the back seat is not an option (already 3 kids there) and the airbag is truly disabled (as you stated is the case). If any child has to be in the front seat, it may as well be the rf child who needs to be monitored anyway. :twocents:

If it's 3 kids total, that's a lot more of a gray area. The back seat is safer. period.

sunnymw

It's three more kids in the back seat most of the time. When it isn't, it's the 5yo and the 7 (I believe) yo who is autistic and doesn't do tight spaces ;) ETA: I didn't explain that well, did I?

Thanks for the advice. :) I'm just excited that her kids are gonna get into some better restraints :D and her niece too, who's 18mo and 22lbs, might be RFing again (wooo hoooo!!! She's currently in a hot pink comfortsport FFing--w/o the little foot that makes it upright (it's missing))

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC