Any thoughts on the Mazda5?

Splash

I've decided to trade in my Aztek :(
The only thing on the market that really appeals to me that is under $30k is the Mazda5.
I played with it tonight and really liked it. My only problem is I cannot find crash test ratings for it. Neither IIHS nor NHTSA have crash tested it.
I was going to go on the ratings for the Ford Freestyle, as I assumed it was the same vehicle. It's nothing like it though! So I don't think it's safe to use those ratings.
Anyone know of any ratings I can find? Know anything good or bad about this vehicle? If it's not that... it'll likely be an Accord (which I'm not overly thrilled about but can live with) or...? I'm not crazy about the Freestyle either.
I like the Mazda. But I want assurance that it's a very safe vehicle.

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Unfortunately, there are no assurances until it has been tested.

It's too bad that many of the test results for new vehicles aren't available for buyers of the first model year.

Splash

Okay... based on how the Mazda's perform in general... would anyone care to venture a guess as to how this one would fare?
I really like the vehicle... and side airbags make me 'feel' like it is safe... but I know that's not always a given.

Honestly, if it came back as marginal, I would deal with it. If it came back as horrible, I would be in deep trouble. And there is no middle seat anywhere. If there was a middle seat, I might be more willing to deal with poor side crash ratings (if there are any).

Can anyone recommend a similar vehicle? All I can think of are the Freestyle and the Chrysler Pacifica.

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
I have a Mazda 5 and love it. I got it at the end of January. It has almost 13,000 miles on it already as I drive for work. My car seats install wonderfully in it ( I have a rearfacing marathon and a Recaro young sport used as a booster). It handles really well and is good on gas mileage. I know it hasn't been tested, but I took a chance and don't regret it. I will have to come back and tell you how i feel once they do test it LOL. Anyway, I think it is a good vehicle, and as a tech I feel my children and I are safe in it.

Lilsid

We went and drove one tonight and I loved it. It handled great and it looks so cute. I like the sliding doors but its not a van its a car. My husband and I even sat in the 3 row seats and they were fine and we had leg room and head room. Now if I can sell my car we can get it. I read about the european crash test ratings and the mazda5 does great and it got wonderful ratings. I wish the US ones had some of the European features like tan interior and 3 seats across the back.

But I think we are going to get it I really like it a ton.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC