Bad school situation!

Michi

I am SO glad that I have decided to homeschool my kids this upcoming year!
This is what was printed in my church's/school's newsletter this week:

Booster Seats.
New legislation is now requiring the use of booster seats in vehicles for children up to eight years old.
If you have a good used booster seat to donate, please let us know.

:eek: I can just imagine it now. All of the lovely, ancient shield boosters they will recieve! I'm SO glad my kids will not be going on their field trips anymore!

(And...I'm writing a letter to the principal about the dangers of used car seats AND shield boosters!)

Could someone please direct me to some links?
Thanks!

ADS

Simplysomething

Aren't buses and certain other vehicles exempt from those laws though?

I wouldnt know if a church van would be, though.

Just makes sure to give them the info on the shield boosters and why they are bad. Perhaps they can amend the announcement with stating that no sheild boosters please and why.

Michi

It's a private school and they have parents drive for field trips.
In the past they just piled the kids in cars and vans and used seat belts/no boosters because the old state law said that kids only needed to be in a child restraint until 4yrs/40 lbs....(and I saw several people putting kindergarteners in just lap belts on these field trips!)
Needless to say, I always made sure I was available to drive my own kids whenever there was a field trip!

vamom

If the parents are driving the kids, why do they even need boosters donated? Most of the places around here have you label and leave your seat, or they make you install it in their van for liability reasons. I can understand your frustration with the situation, but hey - it least they let people know that they should use boosters (think baby steps)! I would contact whoever was responsible, tell them how great it is they they are spreading the news, then gently give them the facts. so that they can be more knowledgeable in the future. Anyway, there's my 2 cents worth.

Michi

vamom said:
If the parents are driving the kids, why do they even need boosters donated?

Unfortunately, a lot of the parents around here (and some teachers, too) seem to be in denial about the new laws.
The majority of them say " My kid hasn't been in a car seat for two years and I'm not going to make start riding in one now."
These parents don't seem to care if they get a ticket or not because
..."the fine is really low, anyways." ( I actually heard someone say that!)

Sad, but true.
So, the school is trying to cover their 'assets' (ahem) by having some spares around, because they think that other parents will refuse to drive on field trips (because they are worried about getting a ticket) if there are not enough boosters for every kid.

Simplysomething

pablomichi said:
Unfortunately, a lot of the parents around here (and some teachers, too) seem to be in denial about the new laws.
The majority of them say " My kid hasn't been in a car seat for two years and I'm not going to make start riding in one now."
These parents don't seem to care if they get a ticket or not because
..."the fine is really low, anyways." ( I actually heard someone say that!)

Sad, but true.
So, the school is trying to cover their 'assets' (ahem) by having some spares around, because they think that other parents will refuse to drive on field trips (because they are worried about getting a ticket) if there are not enough boosters for every kid.

OH! This bugs me. My older son will be 6 next month, he is still in a booster (I still haven't got the freakin turbo yet, because we had a brain fart and need to keep water instead. lol)....But, anyway, legally, next month, he'll be old enough to ride without any sort of seat (right? VA is under 6 right?). So, the other day I tried him in the belt (we didn't go anywhere, I was reinstalling the baby's seat anyway)

...and well, while it would be as bad as when my nephew turned 4 and went straight to the belt, it still wasn't a proper fit. But I'm betting that my neice who is the same age (exactly, and same size too), who is only in a backless will probably graduate to just the belt next month.

But about the seat thing. You know, if I were to buy a harnessed seat for my oldest, I know that he'd ride in it (he'd have no choice), but it would be a battle. So I do see their point. On the other hand, I don't, because this is a non-negotiable area... I'm rambling, sorry. lol

Cracked me up though, I mentioned to some visting family that I wanted to get him a new booster, and the 14 year old goes..."why because he's not 8 and 80 lbs yet"?". I imagine when she has kids (in the very far future...!), she'll be the sort of parent who pays extra attention to things like car safety. (She doesn't have any younger siblings or anything).

vamom

How about no booster - no field trip. Sounds harsh, but it might be just what some parents need, and maybe have a talk from a tech for the parents, or even better the kids- then the kids can go home and bug their folks for a seat! My step son begged for a new booster for xmas at 6,7, and 8 - he just loved the new covers and cool boosters they kept coming out with!

Michi

vamom said:
How about no booster - no field trip. Sounds harsh, but it might be just what some parents need, and maybe have a talk from a tech for the parents, or even better the kids- then the kids can go home and bug their folks for a seat!

Oh - I totally agree - but unfortunately the school doesn't.
It's a parochial school, which is part of the problem. If it had been a public school I could go to the school board or even the DPI, but because it is a small church school it is only governed by the principal and pastor.

We had SO many problems with them in regards to safety issues in general (boosters, my son's food allergies, playground issues) - I even got the county nurse involved to educate the principal and teachers on some of these issues, but they still didn't take me seriously, so we pulled our kids and have decided to homeschool starting next fall. ( the only reason I even knew about the booster seat thing is because we still go to church there, and the ad for used seats was listed in the church bulletin.)

Still, we are friends with many families who still go there, and I am concerned for the safety of their kids, so I will try my best to inform them (and hopefully the principal) - about what they need to do to keep the kids safe.

B

bucket2

5 point test

www.carseat.org (SafetyBeltSafe U.S.A) has several hand outs and even videos for boosters and other CPS issues - like second hand stores. Good stuff and it's free.

also: www.nhsta.dot.gov, AAA (the automobile club), and www.safekids.org

My nieces and nephews are "blessed" with 2 techs in the family, so their parents are doing pretty well with using seats and boosters.

My nephews are 9 and 7 and a year ago, they complained to me. I gave them the "toothpaste" demo from my CPS class [it's actually supposed to illustrate lap belt only]: Empty toilet paper roll acts as seat belt, tube of toothpaste is the "human." Put toothpaste inside roll. Push tube over roll edge. Tube splits. Big mess. "Blood and guts" is a big hit with the K-3 crowd, especially the boys. ;)

The older boy also discovered that the shoulder belt "got him" in the neck when he tried the seat out w/o his booster.

A less "graphic" illustration is to explain that when the seat belt goes over the tummy, it can REALLY hurt lots of important inside parts. "You don't want to be in the hospital do you? You don't want to hurt your insides." [If you're really brave or want to make a point, introduce the idea of colostomies, etc.]

Also explain: the other thing that happens when the seat belt goes to high is that you slide out underneath and then fly around in (and out of) the car. Young friends and kids I've talked to check ups seem to get it pretty quick and are accepting. It's the adults that are more resistant.

RE your specific school:
Instead of a letter, try MEETING with the principal and bring hand-outs and other info. If that is unsuccessful, how about the church's board of elders, president of the congregation, or other lay leadership? The politics and social rules of churches are such a joy. :rolleyes:

jlr9882

My son is only 14 months, but starts daycare next week. He is a former 33 weeker that started off at 3 lbs 7 oz and is now 18 lb 12 oz. I am already worried about field trips and he won't even go on one until he is at least 2. That's when they start taking the kids at this center. I am sure that they don't do field trips for the 2 year old class that often though. I already fill that my son will be the only one still RFing at that time, because everyone that I know with a child my son's age is FFing. I also start working with the school system next week in the special ed preschool classes, so I won't be able to get off most likely for the field trips. I am going to want him in his seat the way he always is even on the field trips.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC