Which do you think we'll see first?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
A non-special-needs seat that harnesses to 100 pounds (with strap slots and shell height to make that a realistic possibility) or a seat that rear-faces to 40 (again, with enough shell height to allow some if not all kids to actually reach that weight)?

And who do you think will make them?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I don't really think there's a need for a seat that harnesses to 100. The only people who will really need that have access to the special needs seats.

OTOH, 40 lbs RF is plausible and there's research to back up its safety (unlike 100 lb harness seats.) So I vote for that one. And I think that Sunshine Kids could with very few changes pass the Radian 80 at 40 lbs. RF, though I would love to see some of the Scandi Britax seats or similar ones come to the US. What would be great would be one that RF to 55 lbs. and then has a slightly taller shell, and FF to at least 65 or 70. That would keep almost all kids RF to at least 4 or 5, then harnessed to 7 or so, at which point almost all kids are at a safe booster age.

Maedze

I hope no one wastes money developing a seat like that FF seat you just described before a good RF seat is developed.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I think the RN already passes with the 5th %ile female dummy? Not sure how 'she' fits in it, but her head doesn't fly too far forward :D

A larger RF seat would have to not rotate lower than 65 degrees with the 6 yo 48 (or 52 now, I think?) pound dummy... might be harder to do... might need seats with a support foot, which have actually been not allowed under the FMVSS 213 rules (not sure how britax slipped by with the babysafe having that...:confused: same way Cosco ignored the 9 pound booster rule and paved the way for others to ignore it...but I'm getting off track... :whistle:).

Soo...long ramble ending... I guess I'd vote we'll see the HW seat sooner... Though it was only a couple short years ago that Evenflo and others were saying any RF seat to 35 wouldn't have any market demand so they were going to stay with 30, so I hope I'm wrong :D

minismom

I hope no one wastes money developing a seat like that FF seat you just described before a good RF seat is developed.

:yeahthat:

For 2 reasons: RF is way more important than HWH AND a RF seat to 40lbs would benefit far more kids than a 100 FF would. Although if the seat was tall enough I could buy one for myself:D

minismom

A larger RF seat would have to not rotate lower than 65 degrees with the 6 yo 48 (or 52 now, I think?) pound dummy...

Is that because of the available dummys? If so many harnessed seats go to 40lbs they shouldn't there be a 40lb dummy?

I wonder how the Swedish seats without foot prop work. The Zento doesn;t have a foot and doesnt need to be braced unless installed very reclided.

Maedze

:yeahthat:

For 2 reasons: RF is way more important than HWH AND a RF seat to 40lbs would benefit far more kids than a 100 FF would. Although if the seat was tall enough I could buy one for myself:D

That would make driving interesting :whistle:

abacus2

I don't see any need for that type of a FFing seat. I am hopefull that the Radian will soon be certified to 40lbs RFing.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I'd say will see 40# rfing (I'll even go as far as 55#)first. And I'd say Learning Curve is already there, based on my conversations with the rep. The only thing holding up the process is the lack of a dummy approved for certifying to the weight.

tl01

I'd say will see 40# rfing (I'll even go as far as 55#)first. And I'd say Learning Curve is already there, based on my conversations with the rep. The only thing holding up the process is the lack of a dummy approved for certifying to the weight.

How sad is that! Why can't the make a new dummy for the certification process?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I agree, if there are at least 2 seats, maybe more, that would pass, they should make the dummy and let them test! I want my 40 lbs. RF seat! LOL!

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I personally agree that RFing to 40 would be far more beneficial, but it seems like the general public is more interested in HWH (especially after the Kyle David Miller video), so I was just curious. I agree that some of the seats out now might pass at 40RF, and wish they would be tested that way.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Why did FMVSS forbid the use of footprops :confused:

Bending to the lack of interest of the average parent. You know, the parent that puts the seatbelt through any visible belt path and buckles it and considers the seat installed properly.

No extra steps to confuse anyone, you know?

That's my guess, anyway.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Is that because of the available dummys? If so many harnessed seats go to 40lbs they shouldn't there be a 40lb dummy?

I wonder how the Swedish seats without foot prop work. The Zento doesn;t have a foot and doesnt need to be braced unless installed very reclided.

Well, if the Zento doesn't have one, I guess we don't need one. So much for me trying to make excuses for their lame selves not giving us a HW seat :p

fyrfightermomma

I'm gonna go with an higher weight ERFing seat. Not only has ERFing shown more benefits than harnessing a very old child who can sit properly in a booster, but I just don't see the demand for that high of a weight harnessed seat. I truly think 95% of 100 lb children are fine and safe in a booster and do not need to be harnessed (nor would I want to lug that seat around or install it)

I don't see a huge demand for either, but I see less for that type of HWH seat. While EHing is gaining popularity, I really don't see anyone who does it much past 7-8 barring no medical problems. ANd the Regent is usually sufficient to get to that age group. The few that may need it past that should probably just get one of the special needs seats on the market.

I think ERFing will gain momento as the years go by and well, with our history of having larger taller heavier children in this Country :whistle: and a lot of kids outgrowing RFing much too early (like my kid), I think it would be wise to have a higher weight RFing seat. Because eventually even those huge 2 year olds do even out and are usually a normal weight and height by school age-thus not needing that extreme of a HWH seat, KWIM?

That totally didn't make any sense LOL

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
ummm..the answer is clear. they are waiting on my 38 lb child to get to 40 lbs before approving a 40 lb rfing seat.
*duh*

skaterbabs

I don't see any need for that type of a FFing seat. I am hopefull that the Radian will soon be certified to 40lbs RFing.

I disagree. Far too many kids are reaching 30-35 lbs before three years old. Just because there is a small percentage who are 4, 5, or 6 years old before reaching that weight doesn't mean the need isn't there. By that logic, HWL FF seats are unnecessary. :twocents:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I disagree. Far too many kids are reaching 30-35 lbs before three years old. Just because there is a small percentage who are 4, 5, or 6 years old before reaching that weight doesn't mean the need isn't there. By that logic, HWL FF seats are unnecessary. :twocents:

That's what she said-- she said she doesn't see a need for that kind of FF seat, not RF. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC