Would you use the nauti as a booster?

Is the nauti a good BOOSTER? (for average 6-8 yr old?)

• Yes, i think it is a fine booster for many kids, i would use/recommend it

Votes: 23 46.0%
  • an "okay" booster, but there are better and I prefer/use/recommend another hbb(which?)

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • No, I do not think it is a great booster choice for most, do not recommend

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • who wants a clicky box?

Votes: 15 30.0%

• Total voters

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Okay..so..here's the deal...I always assumed I would use the nauti in booster mode for dd when the time comes. But I have read some things which have made me doubt whether or not it is the best choice as a booster.

so here goes....would you use the nauti as a booster after the harness is outgrown?? Why or why not? If not, what booster do you prefer/use/wish you had?
for the sake of argument, let's assume the child in question is NOT so tall as to need a taller booster for height alone.

ADS

mish

We use it as a booster sometimes but I don't like to buckle it. It is so bulky that I have a hard time reaching around it.

scatterbunny

I had to go for the clicky box, only because I have multiple, changing opinions of the Nauti as a booster. :p It totally depends on the child's size and shape, and the vehicle seatbelt configuration (particularly how/where the lapbelt is anchored). As with any child restraint, one size does not fit all.

ETA more detail. :)

I am most concerned with proper seatbelt fit when evaluating whether or not a specific seat is "good" or not for a specific child, which is why I said that I would use the Nauti as a booster if it positioned the seatbelt well. If the belt was not properly positioned, I would absolutely recommend (or buy, if it was for my own child) a different booster. As OCD as I am about carseat safety, I would most likely need/want more than one booster, so I'd probably relegate the Nauti to spare booster status once the harness was outgrown, and choose something like the Recaro Vivo or Sunshine Kids Monterey for the deeper wings/better sleep support/better side impact protection.

firemomof3

My 5.5y/o is the GN now but after she outgrows it I'm buying a Monterey booster simply because it provides better protection

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Assuming it fits the child and vehicle, of course, I think it's fine as a booster. But then, I've always liked the Turbos, too, and they're not all that popular around here. :D

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I put clicky box, b/c I have no idea. We've used it once and had no problems, everything looked good. When possible, I do worry about side impact protection. Our spare booster is the FPSVB for now, but we rarely use it and it fits nicely under my 3rd row so that's a big bonus for me. I haven't had a chance to compare wings on boosters to see which one is deeper etc b/c we're not there yet. At this point I'm looking at the Monterey, but it'll be a year at least I bet before AJ moves to a booster, if he moves then at all. He could move from the RN back into the GN when Ilana goes ffing.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Piper used the Nauti as a booster last week during a field trip. I had expected to need all of my boosters for other kids, and so when it turned out I didn't she was allowed to ride in it. I was worried how she'd fit, since some people didn't like the lap belt on their kids (I had a Radian planned for her, so we would have had an option) but it fit her PERFECTLY. I was so happy with the booster. I didn't try it as a backless, she's not 40 pounds yet and so it's not an option, but it was an awesome high back. I think it may work better than her Parkway.

Wendy

christineka

After getting a vivo, I don't think the nautilus is all that great with sip. It is also big, heavy, and sits up real high. We currently have no latch. I'm also of the mind that an expensive, hwh seat should be used for hwhing if there is a child who fits. I had no problems buying a radian for a forward facing child.

I think it is an okay booster. If I needed to transport some other kid and didn't have ds with me, I'd use the nautilus as a booster.

Andie

I picked clicky box. Only because right now, at 6 years, 50 lbs, not sure on height it does not fit my son right now.
See my FAQ (my 2nd post in that thread shows him in the booster mode):
http://car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=60430

See how it rides up on his tummy?

When he grows out of harnessed mode, either 1.5" torso, or 15 pounds, I will see how it fits him. If it doesn't fit right still, I will probably go with something else, but I'm not sure which one.

abacus2

I think it works well as a booster. The seatbelt fit is great for my daughter. If we weren't doing three across for new baby, it would be her primary booster. Right now it's her booster in her aunt's car who brings her home from Wednesday night church every week. It's great for her car since she has LATCH and no one needs to sit next to it.

scoutingbear

We used it as a booster one night on the way home from dinner. A pulled his straps out all the way and one came all the way out! :eek: Luckily it happend on his seat, so we didn't have to stand out int he cold to fix it...we just used it on booster mode to get home and it fit him REALLY well! I think better than his turbo does. That said, he will remain harnessed until he totally outgrows the harness on his seats.

BW1426

We used it as a booster one night on the way home from dinner. A pulled his straps out all the way and one came all the way out! :eek: Luckily it happend on his seat, so we didn't have to stand out int he cold to fix it...we just used it on booster mode to get home and it fit him REALLY well! I think better than his turbo does. That said, he will remain harnessed until he totally outgrows the harness on his seats.

Uh, the same thing happened to ours. I still cannot figure out how it slipped off the splitter plate because we don't readjust our seats every time so it's not like it's being wiggled around. I hope it's not a re-occurring issue like it was with the Frontier.

U

Unregistered1

I think it's okay if the particular kid fits. M does not. The lap belt rides up too high on her tummy. I have used it for her a couple times, it still positions the belt better than no booster, but I much prefer the fit in the Frontier and Turbobooster where the belt rides closer to her upper thighs. I would prefer a dedicated booster, and if I had the option I would pass the GN down to be used in harnessed mode because I absolutely ADORE it in harness mode.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I've used it as a booster with our 5 yr old nephew and was satisfied with the fit on him in my car.

Like Jenny said---it all comes down to fit. I'd use it if it made the belt fit properly. If the belt didn't fit properly, we'd look into our other options at that point.

Susan

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC