backless booster for older child

U

Unregistered

I have been searching online and reading lots of posts, but can not find a booster for my son. He is 11 yo, about 56in, and 100 lbs. I have a Graco turbo, but it is too narrow for him and very uncomfortable. When he sits without the booster, the lap belt still doesn't fit the way it should. Does anyone know of a wider backless booster that goes over 100 lbs? How detrimental is it to use a backless booster with 100 lb limit once he goes over 100 lbs....especially with seat-belt syndrome being the result of no booster?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I think most of us would personally use a backless booster for a child over the weight limit, if the seatbelt still didn't fit them properly :thumbsup:
The Cosco Ambassador/High Rise is a little wider, Combi Dakota is also a popular big kid choice, and I wish it were backless, but the Sunshine Kids Monterey can have the back removed and has a higher weight limit and fits big kids pretty well, I believe.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
The Graco Air Booster is also wider than the Turbo and might fit him better.

There's also the Cosco Prospect; I don't have any experience with them, but I've seen them in stores and they look huge!

crtem5

thanks for the info! I will check out the seats you all mentioned and hopefully find one in town that he can try out before I buy it.
Moderator--I couldn't find my post....I was looking in the wrong place and just posted as logged in....I was being lazy the other night. Just ignore or delete the second. I apologize for double posting.

crtem5

I saw the Turbobooster in the store today realized that our old seat isn't the Turbobooster. It might work for him. I'm going to see if I can find the Air Booster before we buy anything. It looks a little longer and wider. If we get one with arm rests, would we be able to use it without the arm rests as long as the belt fits correctly? It seems like it wouldn't feel as confining if the arm rests were off.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
The Air Booster armrests aren't removable, but you cannot remove the armrests on the Turbo in any case. Sorry, I know that would probably make things easier, but they are part of the safety features on the booster and help to keep the seat belt correctly positioned in a crash - if they're not on there, crash forces will force the belt into an unsafe position. :(

canadianmom2three

Not sure if it's worth buying a highback just to remove the back, but the evenflo confidence is an armless highback that can be converted into a backless - well it has little stubby arms, but they are really just part of the sides. It is a very roomy booster, deep and wide....I happen to have one sitting down in the storage room, and also an 11 year old 110ishlbs boy if you want I can see how he fits tomorrow.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I can fit in the Prospect/Cubb & Monterey . . . there's no way I can fit in the Confidence or Airbooster, let alone Tubro :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC