Only 1 Whack

melniemi

And the expired Touriva was demolished. I was shocked that it took so little effort. It just split like 3 different ways. I smashed it up some more but wow, it was too easy. I used a sledge hammer and didn't feel like I put that much power behind it. dom was 2001
100_7920.jpg

This one took 3 whacks, but it isn't technically expired yet. It'll expire in April. I had thrown it in my dumpster and then thought you all might want to see pics:whistle:
100_7919.jpg

And I'm guessing this is the notch that has been talked about in the Tourivas? It was in both of them.
100_7921.jpg

And here is my dd's reaction to the smashing:love:
100_7922.jpg

Okay, so that was staged, but still cute right? lol

I have a feeling the expired marathon would've taken a lot more hits to crack like that. One more reason to feel good about the seats I have.

ADS

tiggercat

Wow, that's quite a lot of damage for 1 whack. The FPGWM we destroyed a while back took several tools (hammer, saw, and drill) to demolish. LOL.

NannyMom

I've got to get a sledgehammer :whistle: A regular little hammer we have does nothing.

And yes, those are the horrible touriva notches. When I took apart some expired seats today (2 century, 1 evenflo), I noticed they all had notches similar to the touriva, but not as deep. hmmm....

And the pic of DD is adorable :)

Mommy090804

Hmmm, interesting...we have a notched Regal Ride, but it is still in occasional use. DOM is June2005!

The real reason for my reply - your DD is absolutely adorable!!!!!!!!!

NannyMom

Hmmm, interesting...we have a notched Regal Ride, but it is still in occasional use. DOM is June2005!

The real reason for my reply - your DD is absolutely adorable!!!!!!!!!

The notches don't concern you? When I showed it to the carseatlady, she hadn't heard about the notches, but agreed it was dangerous and they should have some foam to put inside (I called, they don't). I personally wouldn't use the regal ride w/ notches.

Mommy090804

The notches don't concern you? When I showed it to the carseatlady, she hadn't heard about the notches, but agreed it was dangerous and they should have some foam to put inside (I called, they don't). I personally wouldn't use the regal ride w/ notches.

(Sorry, Melissa, I don't mean to hijack your thread...)

I posted a similar question regarding the notches a year or so ago when I discovered that our Regal Ride was affected by the defect. I did stop using the seat, and replaced it with a Radian Premier for DS to use RFing. Currently DD rides in the "notched" Regal Ride once a week when a friend picks her up from preschool and drops her off at daycare (four blocks, less than 25mph). DD is quite a bit taller than DS was when he was using the seat. His head was even with the notches, similar to the child that was profiled in the newspaper article. DD is quite a bit taller, and her head is above the notches.

If a tech were to see a seat with notches in use, would you advise the parent to discontinue using it?

NannyMom

(Sorry, Melissa, I don't mean to hijack your thread...)

I posted a similar question regarding the notches a year or so ago when I discovered that our Regal Ride was affected by the defect. I did stop using the seat, and replaced it with a Radian Premier for DS to use RFing. Currently DD rides in the "notched" Regal Ride once a week when a friend picks her up from preschool and drops her off at daycare (four blocks, less than 25mph). DD is quite a bit taller than DS was when he was using the seat. His head was even with the notches, similar to the child that was profiled in the newspaper article. DD is quite a bit taller, and her head is above the notches.

If a tech were to see a seat with notches in use, would you advise the parent to discontinue using it?

I am a tech, and I would certainly advise the parents to stop using it. After I pointed it out the TCL, she did have to call a parent and tell them they needed a new seat (she had 1 client with a touriva).

I'm sure many techs don't know about it, and would say nothing.

ETA: though, if DD's head is well above the notches, and you'll destroy it after you're finished with it, I may reconsider. I have a touriva with notches, that's not expired. It makes me too nervous and I refuse to use it. It's a demo seat only.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC