Question When you Kiddo switched to FF

cryswilkins

Do you/they prefer using a FF only seat with a lower profile (GN or Frontier) or were they OK in their convertible with their legs dangling? I would think that it would make me nuts to have them up so high, but I am wondering if it would bother DD.

ADS

tiggercat

Megan didn't mind turning FF in the MA, she just rests her feet on the vehicle seat in front of the MA's base. :rolleyes: Especially nice in the winter. She did drop things for a long time, and spent some time kicking the front seat.

My vehicle seats are really squishy though, so maybe it's not as high up in my vehicle

n648284369_771616_3669.jpg

Her blue croc is resting on the spot she puts here feet.

Whoops! That was the wrong pic.

fyrfightermomma

Prior to two months ago, when my oldest would FF, it was always a baseless seat.

When she would FF (yes I am one of those who goes back and forth depending on the circumstances since she is 3) it was always in a seat with no base. She has a GN in my DH's car, she had a TF in my car, and a Frontier prior to that in my car. The MA's and Signo's were strictly RFing seats. I loved that when she was FFing she could criss cross her legs and I knew I would miss that. However, she's so little, she can still criss cross them in the Signo FFing.

I always hated convertibles for FFing. In fact, I still do. But my kid has such bad muscle tone and can't sleep in really any FFing seat(or even sit up straight) that I had to finally switch her to the Signo and get rid of everything else. It offers the best support for her.

I still hate it though! :p My younger child will definately have a baseless/low profile seat when she forward faces. I wish my oldest could do. Much easier I think!

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Neither of my kids ever complained about hanging legs forward facing, well, dd started asking for a foot rest when she was about 6.5 and in a booster, but she stopped using it a few months later and has been fine ever since.

MomToEliEm

My kids feet would dangle down regardless of if there was a base or not so I don't think it bothered them to be in their taller Britax seat. Now that DD#2 is in her regent which sits lower, she doesn't like it as much as she can't see as well out the window.

amy919

Kaylie complained about it pretty often when she was FF in her MA, though she did have enough room to rest her feet on the actual car seat. I don't know if it bothered her because she has such long legs or what, but she found it really uncomfortable after about a year of FF in the MA. I bought her a Regent and she loved it, then switched her to a Nautilus and I haven't heard a complaint from her since we ditched the MA.

Personally, while I do love the high base seats for RF, I don't like them at all for FF. I even sold Teagan's MA a couple of weeks ago when I switched her FF and got her a Nautilus just to avoid dealing with the high base.

scatterbunny

H did much better in her Alpha Omega when I removed the base. I like lower-profile seats (especially FF) better because it's easier for me to load/unload kiddo. After the AO was outgrown, we moved to a Husky/Regent, and also used a Fisher Price Futura, all low profile seats. I liked that the carseat sort of blended into the vehicle seat. It just LOOKED better to me, seemed more comfortable for her, blocked less of my view. :shrug-shoulders: I think possibly a high-base convertible might be easier for RF, but we didn't practice ERF (didn't know at the time :( ), so I can't comment on that from a personal standpoint.

remken

Remy actually preferred being in the marathon since it set up higher and he could see out the window better.

SPJ&E

Pacey doesn't really complain about his legs either way, but definitely looks way more comfortable in the Nautilus. He also likes that he can fold his legs up or put them out to the sides in the Nautilus.

In the Marathon, he puts his feet up on the seat to keep them from dangling. He can do the same in the Nautilus, or he can fold them up (he can NOT do that in the Marathon).
IMG_36082.jpg
IMG_37062.jpg

In the Marathon, he would put his feet up on the front seat a lot. In the Nautilus, he just crosses them of puts one over the armrest (hard to describe)
IMG_34482.jpg
IMG_37332.jpg

And just so you know, he is dead even with the 2nd slots from the bottom in the Nautilus (which is where the harness is in the pictures). We have since moved the harness up to the 3rd slots and moved the headrest up 1 notch. He is on the top slots of the Marathon in these pictures.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
DD1 never had a problem FF till age 6 in her MA...
Leah loves her FR...

6 of one, half a dozen of the other :)

lilysmomma

We just turned dd ff about a month ago and she has never complained about her legs dangling. I, on the other hand, can't stand how high the MA sits and am saving up for a GN.

NannyMom

J still puts his feet on the edge of the vehicle seat (like the pic of Pacey in the black MA) in his Nautilus. Last week when A was in J's GN, she did the same thing. They never complain. But I did ask them WHY they put their feet up. A said when her feet hang down, it pulls on her upper body. She never does it in her Vivo.

Misty-Bug

well I have a lower profile Radian but I don't get any complaints from my peanut. He will put his feet outside on the sides so they DO dangle or he will cross his legs.

Ali

DD HATED FF when I first turned her. Constant complaining about her legs. She has sensory issues, though, so that is why.

She loves, loves, loves being able to cross her legs in the Frontier.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
DS didn't mind being in his MA but after awhile he prefered the RN over the MA but couldn't tell me why or what he liked better. Now he is in the Frontier.

loufrando

I thought I would hate ffing in the MA because it seems so high up and I was planning on selling it right away when S turned ff and buying a GN. Now I think I'll keep it though (at least for another year or so).

I think it's my car and her particular size (smaller- brand new ff-er) but her feet actually hang down and land on the vehicle seat cushion as a perfect footrest. I think in about a year when she gets bigger (3.5-4) I'll want to trade up to a GN but for now I'm keeping the MA. I like the natural Britax convertible recline (even in upright ffing mode). As a new ff-er I think it's a good transition for her from the much more reclined and cozy rfing position she's used to. I've had her in a RN a few times and it didn't seem nearly as comfy-cozy as the MA right now (I much prefer the RN for the older kids though).

I have hit her head on the car ceiling a few times loading her though. :( And I do MUCH prefer the Regent for my older dd (5 yo). I can't imagine her in a seat with a base.

So I guess all that to say, I like the younger kids up to about age 3-4 in the MA and most kids older than that in the low profile, baseless seats.

Kat_Momof3

Ruthie just seemed at a loss of what to do with her feet... they had always dangled, but it had been different, with her legs froggy style off of either side.

She couldn't cross them, short things as they still were back then, as they didn't fit in front of her on the MA, so she would prop her feet on the front seat, which led to kicking.

In the Regent, even though it had more space and she COULD cross her legs, she chose to stick them straight out... and kick...

in the Radian, though, because it was slim enough, once her legs were long enough to do it, she froggy legged in it, with her feet flat on the van seat.

With the Nautilus, initially she always sat with one leg curled up and one hanging... and she would kick her heel against her own seat (BUT NOT AGAINST THE FRONT)

Now that she's older, though, she just lets them hang.

So I think it may be an age thing.

She couldn't rearface anymore for good because of her weight at 2.5yrs... and there was a big difference between then and 3, and between 3 and 4.

abacus2

I really dislike FF seat will a high base for loading/unloading, but Rachael didn't complain until she was nearing the limits of her Decathlon. She had been FFing since 15 months since I didn't come here until she weighed 38lbs. Emily is still RFing so I don't know how she'll react.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC