SIL Won't Follow Car Seat Limits

Blondie87

So I posted before about my SIL having my 4.5 year old 40+ lbs nephew in a Evenflo Generation seat. (thread titled Do you know what this seat is?)

I told her that it only harnesses to 40 lbs, then he needs to be in the booster mode because the seat isn't crash tested to hold kids over 40 lbs. I talked to her a week later and asked her if he is in the booster mode or still harnessed (cuz I wanted to see how he was doing being in a booster) and she goes "He's still harnessed" And I said "Isn't like like 45 lbs or something?" and she goes "Yeah, probably."

They are normally all about safety. That's why I think that they are thinking even though he is over the weight limit, that he is safer being in a 5 point harness than booster. I don't know how to get them to realize that they are putting his life in danger. Is there any sites or articles or anything that I can email to them to make them see?

ADS

Lea_Ontario

Your SIL isn't Canadian is she ?
The Evenflo Generations here (Canada) has a 47-lb weight limit on it.

Andie

I would just say, it's great you want to keep him harnessed, but right now, if you were in a crash the seat would not protect him at all. It would be like he is riding in nothing. Tell them about the Nautilus. Sometimes you have to be blunt. If they still do not get it, then you will just have to accept it, as much as that stinks. You have to realize that you've done your best, and now it is the parent's choice. It really sucks, especially when it is family, but what can you do? :twocents:

Blondie87

Alright. I will see her tomorrow night and I'll talk to her about it

I will try my nephew out in my Nautilus tomorrow too. I'm not sure where he will be at the slots though... let's say he's at the 3rd slot (is there 4 or 5?) how much time to you think he'll have left in it? As big as they are on safety for their kiddos, they don't spend too much on carseats. I gave them the 2 Evenflo Generations they have now for my niece and nephew. I don't know how long to say he would have left in it.. cuz they will want to know to see if it's worth buying or not.

Andie

My 6 year old still has 1-1.5" of harness height and 15 pounds. It has 4 slots, IIRC. He is just above the 2nd to top. It depends on how he grows, it would be the very last seat they'd have to buy, you could use that as a selling point, too.
ETA: If he's at the 3rd slot, I'd guess he could get another year, if he's a average grower.

scatterbunny

Generally, an inch of harness height/inch of torso growth is about one year; it can realistically be as little as 3-6 months, if a growth spurt is all torso, or as much as two years, if the child grows more in the legs. My own kiddo used to grow all torso from age 2-4, from 4-5 it was all leg, and from 6-7 it's been pretty evenly distributed. At age 2, she was about 36 inches tall and had about a 14 inch torso. At age 7, she was about 52 inches tall, with about a 19 inch torso. So, she grew 16 inches in 5 years (average of 3.2 inches per year), and of that 16 inches, 5 inches was torso growth.

A kiddo even with the Nauti second-to-top slots should have about two years, I'd guess, in the harness (but it could be a year, or could be three years :p ); the Nauti is such a great buy, though, because it becomes a highback and backless booster.

If they are keeping him in the harness because it feels safer to them than the booster, be sure they know it is the cheapest harnessed seat that will work for a child his size (aside from the Apex, which requires vehicle head support at all times). If he is mature enough to move to booster mode, be sure to reinforce the fact that he is safER in booster mode of the Generations than harnessed mode because he is over the harnessed weight limit, and the harness could fail (rip out of the seat shell, worst case scenario, but at the very least, probably excessive head excursion).

Blondie87

Judi that is so sweet! They would use it if it was free for sure... lol. They just spent $500 on a cat, I don't know why they can't fork out some money for carseats.. :(

Andie

Judi that is so sweet! They would use it if it was free for sure... lol. They just spent $500 on a cat, I don't know why they can't fork out some money for carseats.. :(

A lot of people still see them as accessories, rather than important safety tools. It's unfortunate.

NannyMom

THere's no money left for carseats, they spent it all on the cat :ROTFLMAO:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Yeah look at car seats like SIL looks at a cat. I have so much fun with my car seats. Of course I say that with two puppies and a mommy one my bed.

canadiangie

If I had a 500 dollar cat I'd want to keep him safe. Tell them to pass the Generations to the cat and get ds a new seat. An average cat will make it to at least it's 9th live before reaching the top slots. And I've yet to meet a 40lb cat. Purrrrrfect.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
If I had a 500 dollar cat I'd want to keep him safe. Tell them to pass the Generations to the cat and get ds a new seat. An average cat will make it to at least it's 9th live before reaching the top slots. And I've yet to meet a 40lb cat. Purrrrrfect.

:ROTFLMAO:

Blondie87

lol nice. Not sure how they'd react to that one... ;)

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician

Meet Casper.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC