Using LATCH with Nautilus in booster mode

Lara

I'm not sure if its been confirmed w/ the nautilus manual yet, and search is being no help. I was helping my friend with her nautilus yesterday (8/08 DOM) and found this in the manual :D

SP_A0123.jpg

It says to LATCH the seat in, while its in booster mode if LATCH is available :)

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
:thumbsup: I'm pretty sure this is the first time we've seen it in the manual. Thanks for sharing.

Lara

Yeah, I noticed the online one hadn't been updated yet which is why I checked hers - I was hoping they had just not put up the new one. Needless to say I was very pleasantly surprised to find that :)

Kat_Momof3

I ordered a new manual when I ordered my new cover... and it is just like the old one... page 46 does not look like this... it looks like the online one... and page 13 says no latch or tether in booster mode.

Pixels

Lara, if you have access to it, could you check the date on the front cover of your friend's manual?

Lara

She lost her manual, I just called to ask :rolleyes: But the seat is an 8/08 DOM (reese pattern, if that makes a difference. the target one)

Amaris

The date on the front of my manual is 02/08 and does not say anything in section 14.0 about latching during booster use. As a pp said, page 13 does say "DO NOT USE LATCH and/or tether in booster mode".

puglover333

My GN has a DOM of 08/08 (matrix pattern) and it has the manual with the 02/08 date that says LATCH should not be used in booster mode.

Kat_Momof3

I have someone on the phone about it now and of course she has no clue what I'm talking about, but I am using the picture above w/ page number to let her know what the two manuals say... so.... of course she now can only tell me to stick to the instructions in MY owners manual.

so basically, we should all follow what it says in our individual manuals... regardless if they disagree with one another.

UGH.

I'd still use it as a booster for RUthie if Jeffrey still has decent growroom in the monterey when she outgrows the harnesses, but I wanted to be able to use latch with it in booster mode... I like that extra security of not having to buckle the seat when unoccupied.

crunchierthanthou

I really think you're fine to use LATCH in booster mode. Graco announced it at Lifesavers last year. It's frustrating that it's not in all the manuals yet, but I'm confident that it's an actual approved installation method.

You can see it in the Graco slides if you have PowerPoint. On page 7 it says-

As a High-back Booster, Nautilus can now be installed using LATCH while the child is restrained using vehicle seat belts.

As for the CSR you spoke with, they're clueless more often than not.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Doesn't someone here know an engineer or product rep with Graco? I know we've had this clarified many times before, but they REALLY need to get this into the manual.

Mommy0608

I went to Target yesterday and read the manual for the display Nautilus, looking specifically for LATCH/booster info (and played with it for a few minutes). :whistle: There was no mention of using LATCH in booster mode. It was the vague version, dated 2/08. I didn't look at the DOM on the seat though... :doh:

Kat_Momof3

I really think you're fine to use LATCH in booster mode. Graco announced it at Lifesavers last year. It's frustrating that it's not in all the manuals yet, but I'm confident that it's an actual approved installation method.

You can see it in the Graco slides if you have PowerPoint. On page 7 it says-

As for the CSR you spoke with, they're clueless more often than not.

oh, I agree they are clueless.

I saw the slides after lifesavers last year.

I just don't know... unless the online manual gets updated (since I don't want to waste paper, I won't get a new manual unless the online one shows the newer info) and Graco confirms it is retroactive, I think I'll just not worry about it until I actually have to use it as a booster.... which is at least a year away.

But I was hoping we could find out something concrete because we can't be telling lots of people that they can do it unless we have the manual and csr's to back us up.

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
So I was looking through the Nautilus manual to find the "no hanging over the edge" rule for someone and decided to check out the "LATCH w/ booster" situation.

The first manual I checked was the one I can access through membership w/ SBS USA. It's dated 9/08. It doesn't have the warning not to use LATCH while in booster mode, but it also doesn't direct to use LATCH w/ booster mode. It just says not to use the LATCH strap to secure your child while in booster mode. So, I decided to look up all the versions I could on Graco's site.
One MN linked to the 9/08 manual, which I had already searched. All the rest linked to the 12/07 that warns, "Do not use LATCH and/or tether in booster mode." The manual for the new Nautilus w/ the lock-off was also on the SBS USA tech access site. It's manual is dated 1/09 and, like the 9/08 manual, it neither advocates use of LATCH nor recommends against it. ODD!

Lara

I'm beginning to think my friend's manual is messed up or something lol So weird that no one else has that page! I didn't think to look in the warnings section when I was helping her with the seat.

Next time I'm over there I'll look on her seat and see if she has it. I had stuck it in the slot in the recline foot and am thinking maybe its still there she just didn't remember that (plus, I'm sure it was installed. She's not exactly one to like installing her seats at all, so I wouldn't make her do it just to look at the manual. But I'll do it for her if I'm over there :p)

Kat_Momof3

I'm wondering if it was a fluke... that they'd made up one and been deciding... and not meant for it to be sent out... and it accidently got sent out... and then they decided (from testing or whatever) that it wasn't the way they wanted to go.

I'm hoping someone can get an answer from someone high up at lifesavers.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC