Three Across in 2003 Highlander?

J

JohnR

We have a new baby on the way and plan to purchase a mini-van. Until we get the mini-van I've been trying to figure out which seats to use with 3 across.
We have 2 1/2 yr old twins and plan to get new seats for them. We have a Peg Perego infant seat from the twins we can use.
The Highlander had 50 inches of space in the back seat.
The Peg Perego is 17.2 inches wide and will of course be RF.
For two new FF seats we need to find ones that has a base of no more than 16.2 inches or better still to have some space between seats 15-16 inches wide.
I was looking at the Evenflo Generations which according to one site has a base of 14". I'm not sure how reliable that measurement is.
Any suggestions for a thin car seat/booster and as another option, an infant seat with a smaller base than the Peg Perego?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
John

ADS

Splash

How much do your twins weigh? If they are under 33 pounds, they can still RF in a Sunshine Kids Radian which is a very narrow seat. They can forward face in it as well, but rear facing is so much safer.
The Sunshine Kids Radian can be used forward facing until 65 pounds in the harness.
Otherwise the Generations/Bolero (same seat) is a good choice. I do think they are fairly wide though. But they harness to 40 pounds with tall top slots and then are good boosters.
There is also the Safety 1st Intera. It rear faces to 35 pounds (so your twins could still be rear facing if under 35 pounds) then also goes to 40 pounds in the harness and can be a good booster after that. When it's off the base, it's the narrowest convertible there is, and pretty close to the narrowest seat period.
But at 50 inches of hiproom, you can get a LOT. I got an amazing array of seats in a Saturn Ion, which has less hiproom than that!

U

Unregistered

Hi,

The twins are just about 33 lbs. and they are both tall. I'm looking to get them the seat/booster combo since they are going to be growing out of a regular seat sooner than later.
I just looked up the Radian. I don't see a dimension for the base though. It does look fairly thin.

John

Splash said:
How much do your twins weigh? If they are under 33 pounds, they can still RF in a Sunshine Kids Radian which is a very narrow seat. They can forward face in it as well, but rear facing is so much safer.
The Sunshine Kids Radian can be used forward facing until 65 pounds in the harness.
Otherwise the Generations/Bolero (same seat) is a good choice. I do think they are fairly wide though. But they harness to 40 pounds with tall top slots and then are good boosters.
There is also the Safety 1st Intera. It rear faces to 35 pounds (so your twins could still be rear facing if under 35 pounds) then also goes to 40 pounds in the harness and can be a good booster after that. When it's off the base, it's the narrowest convertible there is, and pretty close to the narrowest seat period.
But at 50 inches of hiproom, you can get a LOT. I got an amazing array of seats in a Saturn Ion, which has less hiproom than that!

U

Unregistered

The Radian is about 14" wide at the seat-bottom level, and about 17" wide at the shoulder level.

U

Unregistered

Oh yeah, I forgot to add that the Radian does NOT have a base like the Britax convertible seats (Marathon, Boulevard, etc.). It sits pretty much right on the vehicle seat, so it is very low-profile. However, it makes it easier to get children in and and out of the seat, and it's easier for the children themselves to get in and out of the seat, also.

Here's the official website for the Radian if you haven't found it already: http://www.skjp.com/Pages/radian.html

skipspin

I would say that the Radain would be great for your situation. I am posting a review of the Radian later today- computer permiting. (I've been haning some broadband issuses since our thunderstorm).

Besides the Bolero being wider, the other problem is that it only harnessed to 40 lb. That means if the twins reach 40 lb before they are ready for a booster that you have to buy ANOTHER seat. My DD is nearly 3, 32 lb (all in the torso) and has a lot of growing room in the Radian. It also looks quite "big-kid" ish compated to the Britax convertable seats.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the help

Reading replies to my first message and then looking through other posts really helped.
The baby came early (June27 vs. July14) and armed with a measuring tape went shopping.
The CarGo was perfect from 2 FF and fits well next to the peg perego RF.
Thanks again.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Great :) I'm sorry I missed this before -- I've had excellent luck fitting carseats in my parents' highlander, even rather large seats....

The CarGos will keep your twins safely harnessed for a little while longer, but I wonder if you have rear side curtain airbags :confused: If so then these should also be nice boosters -- remember to engage the Automatic Locking Retractors of the shoulder belts as an added reminder to sit still properly. If not, then more dedicated boosters that have deep head wings with EPS foam would be much safer :eek:

Also, when they do outgrow the harness & are still just not mature enough to use a booster properly for the entire length of every ride, there are seats that would keep them harnessed longer for optimal protection.... My guess is that 2 outboard Regents could fit with a Radian in the center after baby outgrows the infant seat -- the CarGos would still be excellent as spares!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC