Vent about a tech

xxluckychicxx

The assistant director at DD's daycare just became a CPST. She needed me to pick up her grandson today when I picked up DS. I told her I would and had her install his seat while I was in class.

After picking up DS and her DGS I went to put him in his seat. Boy was I disappointed! It was an expired AIO, FF for an 18 month old, in the recline mode. The base was out about 4-5 inches from the seat bite and it easily moved forward and backward several inches when I pulled on it. :thumbsdown: Oh and his straps were very twisty and below his shoulders.

I really couldnt believe it. This lady is always getting onto the girls at my school for misuse, but then she cant even use a seat right. I always have fun talking to her and she seems very knowledgable so I was really suprised.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Did you ask her about it? Maybe she installed it a long time ago and just hadn't got around to re-doing it (though I don't know WHY she wouldn't...)

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
nasty. Certainly a tech should know that more than one inch of movement is a completely unacceptable install? And the shoulders thing? The twisty straps is I guess a lesser offense...but still. The RF vs. FF thing is a parental decision obviously, and honestly, extended Rfiung was not even touched on in my cert class, so it's possible she wasn't really exposed to the concept? And the recline thing is another decision, since dorel allows it....but i can't see how you would get a good install with it in most vehicles...
the whole situation makes me a little bit grumpy.

xxluckychicxx

She knows about ERF. I have talked to her about it several times and she says that her DGS "would never go for it because he's too tall". :rolleyes: He's several inches shorter than DS. If she would have set the seat upright she could have gotten a good install.

It just bothered me because everything was wrong with the situtation, and this lady is a tech. :thumbsdown:

sunnymw

You know what they say... the dentist's wife has bad teeth, the mechanic drives a clunker of a car, the tech's car seats are rife with misuse...

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
That's awful, then.

Personally I think that's a really bad example for her to set. Did you talk to her about it from that angle?

katiesmommy

Just goes to show that not all techs are experts. I've been to a tech once. She didn't do anything with my seat, saw that it was in, told me it was perfect and she didn't know why I brought it in in the first place. Then when I asked her about the rfing tether, she told me it was for ffing only (on a britax) and that carseats were supposed to cocoon. I honestly can't see myself trusting a tech again unless it's someone from here.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC