Locking seatbelt in booster mode

fyrfightermomma

I know my daughter is a few years away from needing a booster, but I will probably start booster training around age 5. We just bought our van and will have it many years, so definately when she's we start booster training and most definately when she is in a booster full time.

It's a Dodge Grand Caravan. It's my first ever car without switchable retractors which bums me out. I have heard so many times to lock the seatbelt on boosters if your child needs some reminders to sit nicely or is sleeping etc.

So what do people do if their seatbelts don't lock. The caravans have those dumb locking latchplates which I know some people love but I hate. I can't even picture any other option. If it doesn't lock, it doesn't lock. Is that a pretty good assumption? :p

Aren't there some boosters that lock the seatbelt themselves? I thought someone here had a booster that you could lock the seatbelt on. Like it was a mechanism on the booster itself.

I have no clue why I am worrying about this now. I need to snap out of it! :whistle:

ADS

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
Is it maybe the Start that locks? I'm not sure.

I would not worry about the locking feature. Locking the seatbelt is really just a reminder. My dd likes it locked b/c she is so used to the harness. We started booster training at 4.5 and she really does not need the seat belt locked. She sits fine regardless. She was a bit freaked out in my sisters car b/c it has locking latchplates. I had to explain to her that it's perfectly fine if her seat belt is not locked. My guess is your dd will be just fine without locking the seat belt, esp if you don't start the booster until age 5.

canadiangie

I honestly wouldn't worry about it. You know not to transition her to a booster too soon, and I'm also guessing you'd invest in a HWH seat like the Regent if when she outgrows her Recaro she isn't mature enough for a bpb. Basically my point is that because it's 'you', and you know better I wouldn't worry about it.

Now funny enough IRL at seatchecks I have wanted to show parents how to lock their bpb'd kid and b/c of the locking latchplate situation on the extremely popular pre-'08 ('07 ?) Chrysler vans I've been less than content a good many times. Think the barely 40lb 3yr old in a 3-in-1 converted to booster mode here.

Don't get me wrong, the belt is perfectly safe (shoulder portion locks on impact) but I know what you mean about younger kids and bpb's...

Anyway, I *think* (major guess) it's the Start that has the belt lockoff. Defrost will know for sure. IIRC she bought one to use in her 3rd row b/c of a unique seatbelt situation in her Mazda 5. :confused:

Anyway congrats on the new-to-you vehicle... :)

scatterbunny

Yes, it's the Recaro Start with a shoulderbelt lockoff. :thumbsup: I loved it in my 99 Windstar with locking latchplates.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Scatterbunny already confirmed that it's the Start with the shoulder-belt lock-offs, but I wanted to add that I wouldn't worry about it (and I certainly wouldn't buy a Start for that reason alone).

My boys all "booster-trained" in our Chevy Astro that has locking latchplates. (And two of them were 3-ish at the time. :whistle: ) Even if the seat belt locks at the retractor, kids still need guidance and reminders - they can still wiggle out from the behind a locked belt, too. If you do have locking retractors, it's a nice reminder, but it's definitely not the main priority for booster-training.

fyrfightermomma

Thanks so much guys! I know that if she can't sit, she'll be in a harnessed seat and well....she'll fit in a harnessed seat until she goes to college....seriously..... LOL

I have no clue why I am worrying about this already. She's a tiny kid. If she can't sit correctly she'll stay in a harness and I don't need to worry about trying to *find* a seat that fits a bigger child-she'll fit in everything still by booster age. In fact, I doubt she'll even be 40 lbs by then, so I probably shouldn't worry.

It's good to know others didn't really need to do it. Makes me think I don't even need to sweat it :)

But thanks for the tips!

One last dumb question. I want to get the Young Sport (start...whatever the harnessed combo seat is! I can never remember) I know they talked about raising the weight limit in the future, but even if they don't she doesn't need the weight.

Does anyone know if that makes a good booster? I'd love to start her in booster training in a very confined seat like that and I love the fact that I can try it in booster mode and if she doesn't do good, can put it right back into harnessed mode. I don't have to buy another seat just to "see" if she can sit correctly.

scatterbunny

The Young Sport harnesses to 40# with 17ish inch top slots, and it does seem to make a darn good booster, though I haven't seen/used one myself (just looked at pics and reviews posted by others). It does not have shoulderbelt lockoffs like the Start, but it has the typical deep wings of Recaro seats.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
When the Young Style and Young Sport came out, I knew of at least one kid who really loved the Sport as a booster better than the Style...I think it's great for skinny kiddos :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC