Tether Anchor Cap for Acura TL

lewis3000us

I have a 1999 Acura TL in which I have installed two Honda tether anchors. They are located on the rear deck behind each rear seat, and have worked well for a few years.

Once I saw a car like mine with caps on these tether anchors. Now that I have made holes in the rear deck, I don't plan on removing the anchors when I shift to boosters. I would like to get two of the caps because the car does not look "finished" when the anchor is exposed.

I called the local Honda and Acura dealerships bud cannot locate the caps. The Acura people only knew about the center tether anchor, which I did not use because it is not directly behind the seats (I have two toddlers.) The Honda people said that they do not have caps for the part I installed.

I also checked on parts.com as well as the Honda/Acura online parts ordering site, but cannot seem to find the caps.

Anyone have any idea how I can get these caps? A part number would be ideal, but a source would be great as well.

Thanks, Tom
:thumbsup:

ADS

lewis3000us

Maedze,

Very true. But that would still not solve the issue of covering the tether anchor so it looks decent. The cover I saw permitted the tether anchor to still be used.

Thanks, Tom

Maedze

Oh, I see. We have caps on our tether anchors but they pop off when the anchor is being used so it doesn't make a difference either way. Hope you find what you're looking for :)

lewis3000us

Maedze,

Well, now that I've read your post, it makes me wonder whether or not the caps I saw allow usage of the anchor while the cap is installed.

Wow, it seems to me these tether anchor issues are less mainstream than they should be at this point.

What I do know, for anyone interested, is that the tether anchors are described in my Acura Owner's Manual as follows:
Anchor Plate and Mounting Hardware
Part Number: 82410-SE3-C01

They are much better than the center anchor if you use the side seats.

Tom

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd guess it's a newer model car you saw... cars with factory installed tethers usually have a plastic covering (which often pops off easily, though some are quite not-unattractive), but cars that are older with the anchor retrofitted are usually just visible and ugly :p. If you kept the rubber caps that were originally in the holes, you could remove the anchor and put them back... or yeah, just use a Britax Frontier, Graco Nautilus, or Recaro Start, which are all boosters with top tether straps :thumbsup:

lewis3000us

joolsplus3,

Good ideas, all.

Turns out I had to "drill" holes in the rear deck material to install the anchors. So, there were no caps originally. I will probably remove the anchors when changing to boosters because I already have the boosters and they do not have top teather straps. I figure the need for the top teather is minimal for a booster because we are waiting as long as possible before transitioning to them from the convertable toddler seat.

I called the Acura dealership, and went through it all with them, again. There is simply no cover available, as you suggested. I believe they said it changed with the 2001 or 2002 model year when the anchor and cap came with the car. It is hard to believe it has taken car companies so long to fully embrace these simple safety enhancements!

I decided get some plugs from a trim and upholstery shop I am dealing with on another issue. I will need to paint the plugs. Kinda a pain, but no worries.

Thanks all...

Tom

Maedze

Hi Tom!

I know you said you all ready have boosters. Keep in mind car seats expire, usually 6 years from date of manufacture. Your boosters may very well expire before your kids are even ready to use them depending on DOM and how old your kids are.

lewis3000us

Maedze,

Wow, that is good to know too (about car seats getting over-ripe.) Actually we got them a month ago. Too bad I did not come to this site before buying them; then I would have known better!

T

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC