Question for cloth diaper'ers...

menfusse

I think I have seen a few on here who cd. I have been for about 5 months now, and love it. But I find that diaper bags are just not big enough for cloth dipes. I use prefolds and covers mostly. I have a few pocket dipes and AIO's but they are mostly for DH, so they are usually dirty when we go somewhere...lol. Anyway, my question is are there diaper bags specifically made for cd'ing? I have looked a bit, but really can't find any.

ADS

PattyM

i used to cloth diaper dd and did for ds.

i went through the baby bjorn clamshell bag during that time. too huge and from reading other cloth diapering mamas reviews recently i would go with a large messenger bag that is pliable. Lexie Barnes has the superstar and Skip Hop has the expo which i believe unzips at the bottom to allow for more expansion.

there are some wahms that make bags and if i remember correctly the urban fibers bag was one that was well liked by some mamas who used cloth.

menfusse

I have looked at the messenger style bags, I really like those. I wondered if they were big enough, because I haven't see any in person. I live in a small, very very small town. Wal-mart is our only option, and their bags just don't cut it. So by lexie barnes and skip hop...do you mean brands? Or are those websites?

PattyM

yes those are names of the manufacturers/designers. their websites match the names and i am pretty sure you can order directly from them.

i don't remember the website for urban fibers but if you google it there should be some matches.

some of the bags are pretty pricey so be prepared! :)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I used an LL Bean diaper bag. It was plenty big, since Piper rarely messed her covers in public, and she'd only need maybe two or three diapers when out. It came with a zippered little bag and I put the dirties in there. Then I'd just carry some wipes with us and that was it. Oh, I had a change of clothes, often, but I took them out after about four or five months because she rarely needed them.

When we were traveling I'd use a backpack to carry more stuff, though I often would use tushies or tendercare disposable diapers so I wouldn't have to deal with cloth on planes or while in hotels.

After a while I got just a big messenger bag, and that worked fine. It held enough, but I kind of missed the compartmentalization of the diaper bag (though I didn't miss the look of the obvious diaper bag).

HTH

Wendy

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I think all the Kecci Bags work great. I have the smaller daddy bag, but I love the mommy bags too, they're so pretty! :) My cd friends say the mommy bags are plenty big!

menfusse

Thanks guys. We do a lot of long day trips. She has a doc she sees monthly that is 3 hours away. I need about 4 or 5 dipes on those days and a few changes...she's a puker. I usually end up with an extra bag with stuff in the car and a smaller bag to take in with us. I really like the messenger bag idea, but I have checked out some of the prices...yikes! She has her monthly appt on the 29th. I think I will check out what babies r us has there. Maybe I can find something, I am sure they have more of a selection.

Obtw, Wendy. Where do you find tushies or the tendercare disposables? We hare going on vacation at the end of July and I am not woman enough to lug a weeks worth of dirty dipes around with us. She is super allergic to department store brands. The hypo brand at walmart isn't as bad if I slather her in lanolin before I put it on. So are the tushies or the others good for senstive rears?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
menfusse said:
Obtw, Wendy. Where do you find tushies or the tendercare disposables? We hare going on vacation at the end of July and I am not woman enough to lug a weeks worth of dirty dipes around with us. She is super allergic to department store brands. The hypo brand at walmart isn't as bad if I slather her in lanolin before I put it on. So are the tushies or the others good for senstive rears?

They're usually very good. There are different varieties, chemical free, chlorine free, gel free, etc. They're basically disposable cloth. They're nice and thick, not like huggies or anything.

We would get them at our local co-op, but we could also find them at Whole Foods, I think the Fresh Market, Trader Joe's probably has them, Wild Oats, basically any crunchy store. :) They're really nice.

Wendy

skaterbabs

Fow diaper bags, I love a cute tote bag, look in the handbag section. But I also have a Fisher Price diaper bag that I bought when Gregory was a baby and I had two in diapers. I could fit an entire small pack of diapers AND a whole box of wipes in it. lol It works great with cloth - I use fairly trim cloth diapers, but I can still fit 5-8 diapers in it, travel pack of wipes, changing pad, a gallon sized ziplock bag for dirties (I toss them in the machine when I wash diapers and reuse them), and plenty of other stuff.
Lots of pockets. lol
For quick trips I use a Lansinoh bag. It can only fit 1-2 diapers, a wipes case and some baggies, but I can fit my cell phone, keys and wallet in it as well so I don't carry a purse.

Lea_Ontario

Even when I had 2 in cloth diapers, I just used the biggest diaper bag I could find at Zellers. 2 years later, it's still holding up fine.

I wouldn't put money on it - but I think it's a Kolcraft.

Lea_Ontario

We use cloth exclusively - including while out and while travelling and camping.

My mom made me a large "wet-bag" with a zipper that I keep in the diaper bag to tote home any wet or dirty diapers. I take some wipes with us (we use cloth wipes for the kids), either wet or to wet when needed.

Splash

I have just a plain old graco diaper bag. I can fit about four pockets in it just fine, and I normally keep 5 or 6 flats and a few nylon pants in a side pocket just in case.
Really though, if we're going out, I put most of the diapers in the car and only carry a few in the bag. Unless I know I will be far from the bag for a long time.
More often than not, I have some diapers and a change of clothes in the car and just throw a diaper in the medicine bag (that can never be left in the car). I very rarely carry all the diapers I need for an outing in the bag at one time.
However if I do need to do it, I can get 4-5 pockets (well stuffed pockets!), a change of clothes, some burp cloths, and all his medicine into the Graco bag just in the main compartment with room to spare.

LEAW

Melissa, I have a red "no" (circle w/line) sticker a friend made for me that I put on the evil formula bag ;) Want me to mail you one too?

As for bags, I can put 5-6 prefolds and a spare cover in a Kecci shanghai bag, and I love it (got it 1/2 off so it was a deal) and for silk it holds up so well, and looks like a big purse, not a dipe bag.

Also target recently had some canvas messenger bags in the purse section that were about the same size and were $16, totally great bag, lots of pockets to organize stuff, etc.

I keep the evil formula bag in the car with 2 sposies (dd gets a rash from tender care, we use the 7th gen ones) adn wipes, and a change of clothes for her.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Lol, the sticker idea is very clever. I pried the Enfamil logo/badge off of the black bag I received because as an ardent lactivist, I refused to be a walking ad for formula. I didn't even want the hospital bag to begin with but DH wanted to use the basic black bag whenever he takes the girls out and about. Prying off the logo left a hole in the outer part of the vinyl, but the hole didn't go all the way through. I wished I had thought of something as clever as the sticker instead.

I don't use cloth (boo hiss, I know, I know :eek: ), but I've had good luck using messenger style bags from the Gap and Old Navy. The messenger bag works better for me than a separate purse and diaper bag for all of the stuff I lug around, including DD's EpiPens, DH's meds, changes of baby clothes, and the usual purse contents, etc. The messenger bags would probably work pretty well for cloth users, too.

skaterbabs

FWIW, my boys weren't BF, due to many factors, but CJ is turning into a huge lactivist. (Especially considering he's a ten year old boy! LOL)

In fact he was watching "Ice Age" the other night and his (totally unprompted!) question to me was "who's going to breastfeed the baby?"

I really doubt it would make your older son feel bad. After all, he'll understand that things were different when he was a baby.

menfusse

I will have to check out the purse section of Target....or anywhere. I never thought to look outside of the baby dept. doh! Sadly, I can't bf. My little one has a disorder inwhich she can't have any food proteins at all, including what would be passed in my milk. So I have to lug bottles around and a $50 darn dollar can of formula around along with my prefolds and a cover or two, and a change of clothes or two for my little puke princess. The messenger bags seem like they would accomodate that pretty well, and I like the Land's end ones too. Thanks ladies for all the input! To Melissa, my second one is getting cloth too, but honestly, she is just allergic to everything else, so I didn't have a choice....I will admit, I would be using pampers right now if I could.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC