SR32/ SS1 bases

NannyMom

I've seen the SR32 base at BRU and it says it can be used with SR32 carrier or SS1 carrier. I called Graco yesterday to ask about the SS1 bases. Kerry (a guy) told me that yes, the SS1 bases could be used with a SR32 carrier up to 32 pounds. THe SS1 carriers can still only be used up to 30 pounds, and in either base.

Has anyone else asked about this? I'd really rather hear it again (from someone else) before I decide it's true. Maybe I'll call again today and hope I get someone else :whistle:

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Was it graco or BRU literature that said they are compatible? If it's graco, why even question it? If BRU, I don't blame you.

But really, it's just like the SR...you could use the old 20 pound rated bases with the 22 pound SR's, but only up to 20 pounds.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
But really, it's just like the SR...you could use the old 20 pound rated bases with the 22 pound SR's, but only up to 20 pounds.

This sounds a little different, though. It sounds like Graco told her that you can use the SS1 base (30 lbs) to the full 32 lbs of the SR32 if using the SR32 carrier with the SS1 base.

It sounds suspicious to me.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh yeah...ok. Well, they both had to pass testing with the 34 lb dummy anyway, so there's no reason it wouldn't be safe to use either base to 32 pounds...

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
It's probably fine, especially since it sounds like it's exactly the same base, but with a different name. I just wonder if this will lead to the slippery slope of people using the SS1 carrier to 32 lbs at well.

Last edited:

NannyMom

It was Graco that told me this information. I know some people have been told weird things by Graco before (GN can hang over the seat, SS1 base was very different than SR32 base). That's the only reason I'd like to hear it from a second person at Graco. I'm off to get the kids now, maybe I'll give Graco another call.

Kat_Momof3

since it's only a matter of 2lbs... I'd play it safe till you could speak to more than one rep... and preferably someone higher up.

maybe email??

NannyMom

I called Graco again today and it was just a recording saying that all their reps were in training today, call back Monday. Hopfully everyone will have good info on Monday :)

NannyMom

I feel like I want to hit my head against the wall. I called Graco this morning....

Leanne said:
As per a recently received email, the SR32 carrier is NOT compatible with the SS1 base. The SR32 base is compatible with either carrier (SS1 or SR32).

Feeling frustrated, and trying to keep my head from hitting the wall, I decided to call again....

Lynne said:
The SS1 bases are NOT compatible with the SR32 carriers.

WHY?! I asked. They LOOK exactly the same, and both carriers click into both seats. I've been told 2 different things by 3 people at Graco. Can I speak with a supervisor or someone higher up to get more info??

Lynne asked my state, and put me on hold. She came back to say the supervisor says they are not compatible because of the weight difference

So, can't we just use the SS1 base with the SR32 carrier up to 30 pounds?

NO.

Graco is surprised the seats are in stores already, as it's a 2009 seat. No info on when SR32 bases will be available seperately.

Now, I know these identical looking bases are going to cause great confusion for parents :rolleyes: Does anyone else feel like joining me at the wall?

NannyMom

Am I the only person that now thinks it's a horrible idea to have the SR32 in stores? As far as I know, they are not yet selling bases seperately. I know BRU only has it as a travel system. So.... parents will but that, and a SS1 bases because they look the same. Of course we hope they will read the bases, but...you know how some people are :rolleyes:

My boss was going to buy a SR32, but now I'm going to suggest she buy a SS1 (not to mention she'd save $50 by using my SS1 extra base).

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
On the other hand...if they didn't even know the seat was actually in stores already, do you trust them when they say they don't know when the base will be available separately? I'm sure it'll only be a matter of weeks before it's out.
But I do agree with you, it's going to cause a heap of confusion, and while I would never, ever advocate people use the 'wrong' base, I think I won't lose sleep at night worrying about parents who are doing so accidentally (if they fit just as well and look identical, odds are good Graco has tested it that way... they don't want the liability of selling identical products that are likely to fail when used together, I bet).

:)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Any idea how long this "transition" between the two seats is going to take? (I only care because I need another SS1 base, but I don't want to get it for another couple months.)

I'm going to wait a while to see what the consensus is on this. Customer service there has been all over the place about many issues.

Jools, is your Graco contact someone who typically knows what's going on?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Any idea how long this "transition" between the two seats is going to take? (I only care because I need another SS1 base, but I don't want to get it for another couple months.)

I'm going to wait a while to see what the consensus is on this. Customer service there has been all over the place about many issues.

Yes, she's about as high a Graco contact as you can get (posts on CPSPList and I've met her at several Lifesavers, and she's a Tech :))

It took like 6 months for the Snugride Transition, if not a little longer, I'm sure you'll be able to find SS1 bases for some time.

NannyMom

The SR32 bases can be used with either carrier (SR32 and SS1). It says so right on the side of the base. So finding a base for an SS1 in the future won't be a problem (it can use SR32 base). It's just finding an extra base for a SR32 that's a problem.

My guy at BRU told me they'd have the SR32 sold alone (not as a travel system) in November. Hopfully they'll have the bases then too.

NannyMom

(if they fit just as well and look identical, odds are good Graco has tested it that way... they don't want the liability of selling identical products that are likely to fail when used together, I bet).

:)

So, being a new tech trying to pick the brain of an "older and wiser" tech.... If you think they've tested them together, why wouldn't they approve them to be used together? Just because they enjoy mass confusion?

This just irritates me so much, because I know they look to be identical bases (I checked them out side by side), and both carriers fit equally in both bases. ugh!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I emailed my contact at Graco. They are NOT interchangeable. :thumbsdown:

The SR32 bases can be used with either carrier (SR32 and SS1). It says so right on the side of the base. So finding a base for an SS1 in the future won't be a problem (it can use SR32 base). It's just finding an extra base for a SR32 that's a problem.]

Ugh. Ok, so apparently they ARE interchangeable to an extent, then? I'm so confused.

So is this correct: SR32 base can be used with SR32 carrier OR SS1 carrier. The SS1 base can be used ONLY with the SS1 carrier? (Based on the stickers on the base and what Jools' contact said?)

NannyMom

Ugh. Ok, so apparently they ARE interchangeable to an extent, then? I'm so confused.

So is this correct: SR32 base can be used with SR32 carrier OR SS1 carrier. The SS1 base can be used ONLY with the SS1 carrier? (Based on the stickers on the base and what Jools' contact said?)

That is correct!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm just going to bury my head in the sand at this point. Wait till all the seats and bases are out and adhere to the labels and manuals. Problem solved ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC