Vent Regent SPB using seat belt

KirasMommy

Senior Community Member
The rigid buckle stalk on my captain's chair in my 2003 Ford Windstar it too long to be used in the SBP installation of my Regent. :mad: Kira is almost at 40 lbs, so the install needs to be switched from LBP LATCH to SBP seat belt.

I wouldn't mind selling the Regent and getting a Frontier or another Nautilus, but what if it's the same issue? And then I'm out the extra money if I go with a Frontier.

I have always used LATCH in those seating positions just because I find it easier for me. I never thought it would impossible to use the seat belt!

Can I get Ford to change the buckle stalks? But then again, I was just informed that my transmission is shot and it's only a matter of time before it stops working. So we may end up getting another vehicle sooner rather than later. I don't want to pay money to get the seat belts changed and then just have to buy a new car.

Grrr... Any suggestions? Has anyone successfully installed a Regent SBP, a Frontier, or a Nautilus using the seat belt in the captain's chair (with a really long buckle stalk)? We have a Nautilus, so I can at least try that one. I can't put the Regent in DH's car because he doesn't have tether anchors (and they can't be installed, I've already tried ;) ).

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm not sure if I can help with the seatbelt issue without seeing it. I would imagine you'd have better luck with the Nautilus (because the belt path is higher and coming from the side rather than the back) and the Frontier (because you have more installation options), but I really don't know.

If the Nautilus works in your car, you can put the Regent in your husband's car. The Regent doesn't require a top tether until 50 lbs (though it's always recommended, of course).

Is there a reason you can't keep using LATCH? Ford allows it to 48 lbs, which should be more than enough time if you plan on getting a new car soon.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I'm with Jennie - keep using LATCH until 48 lbs. You'll have to switch to SBP LATCH when she hits 40 lbs, but that shouldn't be a problem. :thumbsup:

KirasMommy

Senior Community Member
According to the instruction manual, the LBP can only be used until 40 lbs, then you have to use the SBP. When using the SBP, the top tether is required. DH's Explorer doesn't have tether anchors, so I can't install it there.

I tried LATCH using the SBP and can't get a good install. It moves more than an inch no matter how tight I try to pull it (and I'm one of those people who prefers no movement at all).

We can't afford to get a new car anytime soon. I don't know what we'll do if the transmission goes out before we can afford it. :( And it's very possible that it could last a long time still.

If there are no other options and I can only use the seat until 48 lbs instead of 80 lbs, I'd like to replace it now while it's worth more. The seat is less than a year old.

I'm leaning more towards the Frontier over another Nautilus since Kira's head slumps when she sleeps in the Nautilus. She sleeps in the car a lot. But it's probably over $100 more than I can get for the Regent if I sell it.

Or maybe I'm just trying to convince myself that I want the Frontier. :whistle: But since we don't have the extra money, I'd like to try to make the Regent work. Any other suggestions? Can the buckle stalk be inside the belt path if I can get a tight install? Or is that just dangerous?

KirasMommy

Senior Community Member
Can't do that. I have a 3rd seat in the third row for the boy I babysit. I can't fit all 3 seat on the bench seat. I've tried. And I really like having the extra room to take people with me.

I appreciate all the suggestions! Keep them coming! Maybe one will work for me. (I'm sorry to be so difficult, but I do appreciate the help!)

valleyfam

I'm in a 2001 Windstar. I'm not sure how similar they are but I believe they were the same that year then switched to the Freestar. I could not get the regent in the captain's chair and with no techs around here who had even heard of the regent I was on my on other than help from here. I gave in and put it in the back seat outboard. I keep the captain's chair fold down for easy access and for ds to rest his feet on. I just flip it up if we have extra passenger's. It is a pain not being able to use the captain's chair but we made it work to keep from replacing a $300 seat! I will tell you for some crazy reason you can get a better a install in the passenger side captain's chair than the driver's. It was a tighter install than driver's side but was pulling the buckle into the belt path so I was uncomfortable leaving it that way without a tech seeing it. If you move it to the back you'll need to twist the belt stalk to get a good install. Good luck! I understand your frustration.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd give the SBP LATCH another try. Make sure you push BACK as well as down. (I'd put one knee against the base of the seat to push it back, and another in the seat to push it down. Not necessarily at the same time if that's too acrobatic.)

Also, try pulling the LATCH strap at different angles. Pull it through the slots in the front of the seat, pull it behind the cover parallel to the belt, etc.

If that doesn't work, I would play with seating positions like the PPs mentioned.

How old is your DD, and what slot is she on? I know you want the Regent to last until 80 lbs, but it probably won't. Kids usually outgrow it by height before weight. It sounds like you want the Frontier, but without knowing how it will work in your car, it's not necessarily a better choice. Plus, I believe it has a 40-lb LATCH limit, so you might be even more limited by it!

jdubsm

Also, try pulling the LATCH strap at different angles. Pull it through the slots in the front of the seat, pull it behind the cover parallel to the belt, etc.

That's exactly what I was going to suggest. I couldn't get a good install in my '03 Caravan with LATCH SBP until I tried the above suggestion. They are now so snug and there is no movement at all. I can't get a good install SBP with my seatbelts at all. Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you.

KirasMommy

Senior Community Member
She just turned 3 and is on the second from the top slot (her shoulders are just above the third slot). I don't mind if she outgrows it by height before reaching 80 lbs, but for the price I paid, I want it to last longer than 48 lbs. If I can't get it installed with the seat belt, then it's no good to me once she weighs more then 48 lbs. At the rate she's growing, I doubt she will be mature enough to use a booster when she hits 48 lbs.

The more I look at the Frontier, the more I think it would be our best option. I can use the LBP on the Frontier up to the harness weight limit. And I have a store somewhat near me that carries it so that I can try it out first. I'll have to talk to DH and see what he thinks.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC