IIHS: Collisions with deer and other animals spike in November; fatal crashes up 50% since 2000

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Having seen a deer darting through our neighborhood this morning, today's cautionary news release from the IIHS at http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr103008.html about car-deer crashes seems like a particularly timely reminder to be on the lookout for wildlife.

Excerpt:

News Release | October 30, 2008

Collisions with deer and other animals spike in November; fatal crashes up 50% since 2000

ARLINGTON, VA — November is the peak month for vehicle-deer collisions, and a new analysis of insurance claims and federal crash data indicate the problem is growing. The Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI), an affiliate of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), recently examined insurance claims for animal strikes under comprehensive coverage month by month from January 2005 through April 2008. The main finding is that insurance claims for animal collisions are nearly 3 times higher during November than the typical month earlier in the year. For example, for every 1,000 insured vehicles 14 claims were filed in November 2007 compared with an average of 5 claims per 1,000 during January-September. Insurance claims usually don't specify the animal involved, but other data show that deer are the main ones.

"Urban sprawl means suburbia and deer habitat intersect in many parts of the country," says Kim Hazelbaker, HLDI senior vice president. "If you're driving in areas where deer are prevalent, the caution flag is out, especially in November."

ADS

scatterbunny

Thanks for the reminder! :thumbsup: I've seen elk by the roadside lately, but no deer, yet (though it's just a matter of time around here). I've also been in a vehicle (twice) that hit deer. Both times the deer literally jumped off the side of the road, out of the brush, right into the side of the vehicle. The first one was critically injured and had to be put down by a neighbor. :( The second one just ran off, so hopefully not hurt too badly; and luckily, no one in either vehicle was hurt. I think it was because they were young/small deer. Around here, I worry more about hitting an elk (as far as what it will do to my car and people within it), but deer seem to be more brazen about crossing the road.

MomToEliEm

A big problem by our house is wild hogs. They can be pretty big and can do a lot of damage to the cars. There was a fatal accident a couple years ago right in front of my house where a motorcyclist tried to avoid a hog and hit a tree.

Jeanum

Staff member
Elk and wild hogs, yikes. :eek: The deer are big and bad enough around here. I've had a couple of near misses with deer, including once last spring when I driving on the outskirts of a downtown area rather than a more rural setting. Bambi and friends were crossing the road near sunset, a prime time of day when deer tend to be more active. DH joked the deer were headed downtown to go clubbing. :rolleyes: One of the first things I learned about deer, courtesy of some more rural dwelling relatives who have hit deer with their cars, is that if you see one deer crossing the road, expect to see more very soon because they're often in a group or chasing each other.

scatterbunny

Yes, they are definitely more active at dusk, and usually are not alone.

Wild hogs, WOW! That would freak me out.

I almost hit a COW once, a huge dairy cow. It was after dark, too, I came around a corner on a 55mph highway and the cow was just RIGHT THERE in the middle of the road.

Jeanum

Staff member
Cows would be scary, too, scary and big. My cousin hit a horse and totaled her car. The horse belonged to a neighbor and it figured out how to open the gate and took off running. My cousin was fine and she replaced her totaled Cavalier with a Dodge Ram pickup. The horse didn't make it. :(

scatterbunny

WOW, a Cavalier vs. horse, and human was okay? Amazing. Poor horse. :(

I hit a beaver once, on the same highway where I almost hit the cow. I am 99% sure it was already dead. I saw brake lights ahead of me in the dark, but thought they were just slowing to round the corner. Well, I got to the corner and BUMP hit something big. I pulled over to get out and see what I hit, and make sure my car was okay, and there was a huge beaver. I had never seen one so close before, and was surprised at how large it was.

Jeanum

Staff member
Yep, my cousin was lucky that she wasn't hurt. IIRC, it was more of an offset crash and affected mainly the passenger side (and no passenger in the car, thank goodness). I've had near misses but the only thing I've actually hit (well, besides being in several collisions with other cars :eek:) was a groundhog/woodchuck. I had no time to react when it ran right in front of my car. I was dating DH at the time, and he had just started to say something lovey-dovey to me from the passenger seat when when I screamed because of the woodchuck and the sickening thunk-thunk sound of the tires. Poor DH-to-be thought I was upset and screaming at him for a moment. We laugh about it now, but it was pretty upsetting at the time and the poor woodchuck didn't stand a chance.

Last edited:

scatterbunny

:ROTFLMAO: Funny story! Is a groundhog and woodchuck the same thing? I had no idea. :eek: Are they bigger or smaller than a beaver? Just curious. I have never seen one.

scatterbunny

Okay, I had to look up beaver/woodchuck comparisons, and here's what I found:

Woodchucks are 17-26 inches long (including tail) and between 4.5-9 pounds.

Beavers are 35-46 inches and 30-70 pounds. :eek: No wonder it felt like I hit a child, not a small animal!

Oh, and I thought it was cool when I did my search for beaver info, the first site that popped up was the University of Michigan Museum of Zoology. :)

Jeanum

Staff member
Ah, so the woodchuck is considerably smaller in comparison, thanks for looking up their respective stats.

scatterbunny

LOL, I kind of dragged the thread off topic pretty far, but then again, it's nice to know how big different animals are, isn't it, if we're talking about hitting them? :p

Jeanum

Staff member
LOL! I appreciated the zoology discussion, learn something new every day. And everyone drive carefully, those pesky varmints are out there every where. We're the pesky vehicle driving invaders of their habitats for the most part, actually. :eek:

keri1292

I've had 4 cars.

3 cars have hit deer.

The 4th is my current vehicle.

Please, please, please stay FAR, FAR away from me, Bambi. :eek:

MomToEliEm

Has anyone ever used a deer whistle on your car? Just wondering if they are really effective, or a scam.

Here is an excerpt from an article talking about deer whistles:

http://www.usroads.com/journals/rmj/9705/rm970503.htm
Whistles and Other Noisemakers

Ultrasonic whistles mounted on vehicle bumpers emit a shrill tone when air passes through them as the vehicle travels over thirty miles per hour. Manufacturers claim these whistles are audible to deer (but not to humans) and effective in frightening deer from the roadway. The whistle is about two inches long and bullet shaped. In 1990, according to The New York Times NATIONAL, deer whistles cost about $25, and such groups as the California, Iowa, and Kansas state police were using them on their patrol cars.

While manufacturers contend deer can hear the whistle up to a quarter mile away, no published research verifies the device's effectiveness. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety presented evidence refuting claims promoting the whistles:

Georgia's Game and Fish Department, for example, found that in hundreds of observations from vehicles equipped with deer whistles, deer didn't respond. Whistles on vehicles going 25-30 mph produced no ultrasonic sound, although some ultrasonic and lower frequencies were produced when the whistles were blown by mouth. According to wildlife biologists at the University of Georgia, neither deer nor humans can hear ultrasonic sound. Whistles blown by mouth near captive deer produce no response.

A University of Wisconsin study found that three types of whistle did produce low-pitched and ultrasonic sounds at speeds of 30 to 70 miles per hour; however, researchers were unable to verify that deer responded to the sounds, even at distances well below the distances from which manufacturers claim the whistles are heard. Moreover, deer would only be able to hear the whistles if there were a straight shot between the deer and the whistle. If curves, trees, or other obstacles came between the deer and the whistle, the device would be ineffective.

According to an article called "Blowing the Whistle on Deer Scare Devices" in the Mid-February 1993 Farm Journal, the Ohio State Police installed deer whistles on their patrol vehicles; however, they reported finding no significant decrease in collisions between patrol cars and deer. The same article indicated that a panel of the World Society for the Protection of Animals could find no data proving "that such a device can actually stop an animal crossing the road, which is the main purpose of the device." Finally, Washington State University researcher Leonard Askham felt the evidence tended to favor a conclusion that deer whistles do not work. "Even if the devices were effective," Askham warned, "they would soon become clogged with insects and dirt and stop working."

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC