Question Boulevard, EF Symphony or FY True Fit

S

SammiGabbi Mom

I have 18 month old twin girls who are about 32" and 22lbs. They are still rear facing in their Graco SafeSeat but are at the height limit and I need to purchase new seats. I am looking at the Britax Boulevard, the Evenflo symphony and the First Years True Fit. I have looked at the Boulevard and Symphony so far and these are my concerns:

The Boulevard has a metal flap like adjuster for adjusting the straps instead of a button like most and I have read that a child can reach down and pull the flap, therefore loosening the straps.

Do the straps on the Sympony twist easily?

Both seats have the True Side Impact Protection, but will that block the window views for the child? Kind of petty, but if they can't see out the window they might not be happy.

I still need to find a True Fit in store as BRU didn't have one.

Any comments you can provide will be extremely helpful and appreciated. Or if you can lead me to where these questions might have already been answered.

ADS

jewlsvern

If you like the Symphony I would actually go with the Evenflo Triumph Advance. They are very similar seats, but the Triumph harnesses to 50 lbs and the Symphony only to 40 lbs. The Advance will last you much longer than the symphony. Plus the Triumph is cheaper. I never have a problem with the straps twisting and I love the infinite harness.
I have one for my 19 month old and she loves her seat. She is about the same size as your DC, just a little shorter. My DD never has a problem seeing out the window even with the "wings" and RF. In fact she knows right where we are. The seat sits up high so she can see out very well.
The Boulevard and Tru Fit are also great seats. I think the Tru Fit lasts longer than the Boulevard. I have only "played" with them in the store.
Also I think BRU has a twin discount if you buy 2 of the same seat (you have to ask). I have seen the Tru Fit at Target.

S

SammiGabbi's Mom

Thank you. Is the infinite harness on the EFTA the knobs on the side that adjust the harness? Also, I am new at these chats, what does DC and DD mean?

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Out of those you pickes, I would choose the True Fit first (more leg room RFing), then the BLVD. Symphony last. It only goes to 40 lbs, and I found the harnesses to twist very easily. The install with latch is not a easy as they say in all cars.

featherhead

Thank you. Is the infinite harness on the EFTA the knobs on the side that adjust the harness? Also, I am new at these chats, what does DC and DD mean?

DC - darling child/children
DD - darling daughter

The True Fit and the Triumph Advance both have about the same harness height, which is a bit higher than the Boulevard. If you can, go to the store and try them out. There might be something you either love or hate about the seat that you can't tell just from reading about it.

Kat_Momof3

actually, it's more common to see those metal levers than a button. The only seats with buttons are the Britax Roundabout, Britax Diplomat and the (I think discontinued) Britax Decathalon.

and the first two of those aren't worth the price, as they are pretty small and only harness to 40lbs (unless you will have kids to pass them down to... then they're such great seats it makes it worth it)

The only other harness adjusters that don't use metal levers are rear harness adjusters (not found on toddler seats anymore, and being phased out of infant seats) and the knobs on some of the Evenflo seats (Triumph, Triumph Advance, Generations/Bolero)

Anyway... infinite harness adjustment refers to the red tabs that allow you to fit the straps AT the child's shoulders every time... and raise and lower them to any position in the available space, without rethreading.

It also refers to the knobs that do the same thing, though not as much of a custom fitted way, on the Boulevard.

If it were me, depending on your budget, I'd get the Truefit or the EFTA.

both have taller top slot positions than the BV, so since they can't pass seats down to each other, I would get seats that will last as long as possible.

the Truefit and EFTA (in that order) will maximize your chance of not needing to buy another harnessed seat before they go to boosters (at age 5-7)

Now I like both about equally, but some prefer one or the other.

If money is enough of an issue to make the twin discount a deciding factor, though, I'd just make sure to order from an online store that offers free shipping and will also give you the twin discount (call their toll free numbers to get it... I know most will)

Since you have girls, I should also add that the Truefit has a gorgeous girly pattern (Monet, I believe)

BW1426

I would go with the True Fit. I like it best out of those seats. And, yes, the Monet pattern is very pretty.

S

SammiGabbi's Mom

Thank you to everyone who has posted a reply for me. I have mostly been drawn to the Boulevard because it is "a Britax and expensive and therefore the best" you know we are being breed to think they are the best. Oh and also because they have prettty patterns.

However, money is certainly an issue and I am thrilled that a lot of you recommended the Tru Fit. I'll have to go to Target to give it a try because it is the only one I haven't seen yet. I wasn't crazy about the adjustment knobs on the sides of the EFTA so that one might be out. Unless I looked at it wrong those are what tightend the straps ... right?

Anyway thanks again and other seat suggestions are certainly welcome.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Out of those, i love the truefit..I personally wouldnt consider the symphony since it only harnesses to 40...and since the booster is built-in, chances are you wil find a reason not to buy another harnessed seat and just switch teh kids to boosters when they hit 40 pounds..which *might* be way earlier than is best. the blvd is too expensive for me, although a great seat.
Please go and try the seats out...target has a truefit and an evenflo triumph advance, you could see them side by side. Also a marathon, which is a britax like the blbd, but without the sidewings. People either hate or love the knob adjuster on the triumph..so play with it to see how you are going to feel. Play with the truefit also.... note the difference in the ways the seats sit, how your kids like them, etc. Please play with the infinite adjust harness in the triumph..put a kid in the seat..some kids find they rub their neck and hate it, my dd HATES it. Others dont care at all.

Another thing i want to ask, in an honest, not judgemental way. do you have a rear facing goal in mind?
Of course, rear facing for as long as possible is the safest choice, but in reality, many parents decide for whatever reason NOT to rearface until the absolute limit. and with smallish twins like yours, the limit could easily wind up being 3-4 years old. Are you hoping to get to 4? 3? 2?
If you honestly don't intend to rearface much longer, then there are some forward facing only seats we might recommend to you. Again, I hope you are planning and do keep your kids RFing for much longer..but if you are not going to do that, there are some other options for good seats we might be able to suggest for you.

Rosey

Oh man, with twin girls it would be VERY hard for me not to buy these: http://www.amazon.com/Britax-Marath...ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1225507751&sr=8-1
(and another $15 off in Brooke pattern of course). I so wish I were in the market and LOVE my Marathons. It is a good option and does offer some side impact.

Anyway, the symphony is kind of a waste with the 40 lbs like others said. So looking at the True Fit and Britax Boulevard/Marathon is really the way to go. Try them out. I dislike the knob adjust and have never had a problem with my kids doing the lever. (I had heard they did the lever cause the push button was too accessible). The TrueFit's harness adjustment sits lower than the Britax so rear facing it can be difficult to reach so see if the employees will allow you to try the seat in the car. I had a similar situation with the EFTA knobs. Try them out, there really isn't a bad choice amongst those seats. I also think the Trufit is an inch wider than the boulevard/marathon so you would lose 2" in the back seat if that is ever important to you for a middle passenger. It would be no problem at all in captains chairs.

And if you end up wanting a Boulevard after all you can get them cheaper online. Albeebaby.com has some patterns for $249 and Tiny Ride has some for $274 both have free shipping and no tax.

S

SammiGabbi's Mom

Well, I believe everyone has officially talked me out of the Symphony, although my girls are small and probably won't reach 40lbs until 4 or so anyway. I don't like the cover anyway.

Yes I do plan on keeping them rearfacing, especially after reading all of the threads on this site. I did want them forward facing because our van has the DVD entertainment system which would be very convenient on trips back and forth (6 hours) to the inlaws. So
because of that I am a little conflicted....however safety is first!

I do really like the Marathon's with the exception of the harness adjustments. I really like the infinite adjustment system in the EFTA, but don't like the side knobs as it seams they would be hard to adjust rear facging. And the EFTA and TF seem so wide I was concerned they would block the "isle" to the 3rd row of the mini van. This is just a really hard decision to make. My Mom thinks I am crazy asking all of these questions and taking so long to decide. Aren't they all the same she asks....no they are not!

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
another option you werent looking at but might meet your neess is the NEW alpha omega elite. It has infinite adjusting harness, rear faces to 35 pounds, forward faces to 50 pounds and has new higher slots so most kids can actually get to 50 pounds in this seat...your kids, if they stay petite, will likely reach well over 5 in this seat. It is a 3-in-1 seat, menaing not only does it rear face and forward face, it alsobecomes a booster..the problem is, it males a really bad booster, incorrectly placing yhe seatbelt over many chiuldrens stomachs. SO..you have to resist the urge to use it as a booster. But, that aside, it is a really nice RF and FF seat.
The issue is...you HAVE to get one of the new ones. thety just came out. My local TRU has them, but some do not. If you are looking, any seat priced under $150 is almosr certainly NOT the new version (but be careful, because being priced over $150 doesnt necesarily mean it is a new version, someof the old versions were WAY overpriced...) The old version only went to 40 lbs FFing, whereas the new version goes to 50 pounds. Just make sure you get a 50 pound one, and you wil be fine. The 50 pound ones also has 1 higher harness slot, but that wont be as easily apparent when looking for them.
Be careful..i know the signage in my local TRU doesn tmatch the actual seats...in one place, the sign says they are the new ones, but the actual boxes are older versions....we only have the new versions in pink right now....

Just wanted to throw that out there. i LOVE my old style AOE, but it was despised by many because it is bigish and heavy, and used to have only a 40 lb limit with low slots...which they have fixed. Also, because parents buy it thinking it will be a 3-in1, when in fact, the booster portion is very unsafe......but anyway...not to confuse you..i just LOVE this seat, and feel you should consider it, LOL..

jewlsvern

I really like the infinite adjustment system in the EFTA, but don't like the side knobs as it seams they would be hard to adjust rear facging. And the EFTA and TF seem so wide I was concerned they would block the "isle" to the 3rd row of the mini van.

I have the EFTA and I can still get 3 across in my SUV. They are wider in the back area.
I actually really love the knobs on mine and I don't have a problem reaching the button to adjust it. I also have an Avenue with a front adjust pull strap and I dislike it so much compared to the turn knob. Just a quick turn and its tight and it never tightens unevenly. I would encourage you to try them out in your car because in some cars it can be hard to get to the turn knob because of the contouring of the seats, but in others they work great. You might be surprised at how easy they are to use.
The TF is also a great seat. They carry them at Target if you want to check them out.

Kat_Momof3

Thank you to everyone who has posted a reply for me. I have mostly been drawn to the Boulevard because it is "a Britax and expensive and therefore the best" you know we are being breed to think they are the best. Oh and also because they have prettty patterns.

However, money is certainly an issue and I am thrilled that a lot of you recommended the Tru Fit. I'll have to go to Target to give it a try because it is the only one I haven't seen yet. I wasn't crazy about the adjustment knobs on the sides of the EFTA so that one might be out. Unless I looked at it wrong those are what tightend the straps ... right?

Anyway thanks again and other seat suggestions are certainly welcome.

yes, those are what adjust the straps. People either love them or hate them.

jess71903

Ambassador
Actually, I think someone on here measured and they aren't any wider than the Marathon...they just look like it because they are so deep. I'll see if I can find the link.

Ok, I found a mention that the TF might be 1" wider than the Marathon, but I can't find the one that compares measurements. Maybe I'm dreaming...anyway, when I was shopping I liked looking at Hipmaman's album.
http://picasaweb.google.ca/hipmaman/Carseats2008#

Kat_Momof3

Well, I believe everyone has officially talked me out of the Symphony, although my girls are small and probably won't reach 40lbs until 4 or so anyway. I don't like the cover anyway.

Yes I do plan on keeping them rearfacing, especially after reading all of the threads on this site. I did want them forward facing because our van has the DVD entertainment system which would be very convenient on trips back and forth (6 hours) to the inlaws. So
because of that I am a little conflicted....however safety is first!

I do really like the Marathon's with the exception of the harness adjustments. I really like the infinite adjustment system in the EFTA, but don't like the side knobs as it seams they would be hard to adjust rear facging. And the EFTA and TF seem so wide I was concerned they would block the "isle" to the 3rd row of the mini van. This is just a really hard decision to make. My Mom thinks I am crazy asking all of these questions and taking so long to decide. Aren't they all the same she asks....no they are not!

Remember that 4yrs old, we would still want them in a harnessed seat.

We really don't recommend boosters until 5-7yrs old (6 being the ideal minimum, but every kid being built differently, we have to concede defeat for some 5yr olds)

Remember your mom is from an age where there wasn't so much to choose from in the way of child safety seats.

Take her with you and show her the limits of each seat and what differences there are in terms of comfort, weight and height limits, and price range.

Not only will it teach her that this really is not a simple decision (especially for a first time mom), but it will give you someone to keep the babies busy while you are thinking and deciding.

Now, remember that the babies will not care as much as you think about the dvd player. They haven't seen it, so they can't miss what they've never had.

But more interesting is that many parents here have found that babies will turn their head to one side and then tilt it up (like if they were looking at the sky in a stroller) and watch it that way.

Otherwise, a VERY soft and easily secured (and very securely secured) mirror on the back of the vehicle seat angled correctly would allow them to watch it (yes, left and right would be reversed, but babies don't mind) if you have VERY long trip and really want that.

Otherwise, I would think that music would work better, anyway.

Many of us don't even have dvd players in our vehicles and find that we're still fine on long road trips.

when Ruthie, my youngest, was still rf, we drove 8-10hrs to and from PA (we live in VA) to spend Superbowl Weekend with my ILs (the steelers were playing, so we wanted to be with the family AND have better access to post game merchandise if our team won,which they did)

With planning ahead, she just slept the whole way up and then slept part of the way down and was just content to look out the back hatch (we had my bil and sil with us so we had all 3 kids in the back row) and play with soft toys.

We did take longer coming down because we stopped every couple of hours when they were awake (though I swear the pee breaks before the kids nodded off going up were more inconvenient, since it was so dark... we went up during the night and came back in the wee hours of morning)

I just made sure to have drinks, snacks, toys that they hadn't seen ever or at least in a long time (we rotate batches of toys) and we played the radio.

NannyMom

The True Fit won't block the isle in your van. I installed on outboard in my van with no problem.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC