Regent-- short and long belt path

BW1426

Can someone explain to me the technical reason for the long and short belt path. I always thought that the long belt patch could be used if you couldn't get a decent install with the short belt path. But, I've learned that's not the case. I would think that one way, either long or short, would get better results period. I don't understand why one is better for 22-40 lbs and the other is better for 40-80 lbs.

:scratcheshead:

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Can someone explain to me the technical reason for the long and short belt path. I always thought that the long belt patch could be used if you couldn't get a decent install with the short belt path.

That used to be the case--you could use either one, regardless of weight.

Then Britax discovered that the seat performed better for kids under 40 lbs LBP and over 40 lbs SBP. I'm not sure we ever got more of an explanation than that. I'm of the mind that it's pretty much hooey, but at the same time, I'm not going to go against their instructions.

BW1426

Which belt path is better for which weight group?

My understanding is that long must be used for 22-40lbs and short must be used for 40-80lbs.

I guess I really don't deal with any regents :eek: I need to brush up on the manual again.

my2kidsSafe

I hope i'm not hijacking this post, but i am wondering something myself somewhat similar. My dd i around 38 lbs, when would you feel comfortable making the switch to to short belt path.

NannyMom

My understanding is that long must be used for 22-40lbs and short must be used for 40-80lbs.

I guess I really don't deal with any regents :eek: I need to brush up on the manual again.

The instructor at my CPST class didn't know either :rolleyes: We had a Husky as a demo seat, and couldn't see anything in the manual. Maybe it's just a Regent thing? I don't remember the size of the fake child, but we did it SBP because the seatbelt was too short :eek: I personally get a better install w/ LBP.

BW1426

The instructor at my CPST class didn't know either :rolleyes: We had a Husky as a demo seat, and couldn't see anything in the manual. Maybe it's just a Regent thing? I don't remember the size of the fake child, but we did it SBP because the seatbelt was too short :eek: I personally get a better install w/ LBP.

I don't believe the same rules apply to the Husky. I've never really looked at the Husky manual.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I don't believe the same rules apply to the Husky. I've never really looked at the Husky manual.

Yeah, I think it's just the Regent, and just the post-advisory Regents at that. (They recommend the new rules for older ones, but you can still go by the old rules.) I think the advisory was around June of 2007?

To the poster who wanted to know about the 38-lb kid: at that point, I'd be fine using either path. The child is close enough to the "cut-off" that it shouldn't make a difference, especially since until recently it didn't matter.

Lys

Senior Community Member
Yeah, I think it's just the Regent, and just the post-advisory Regents at that. (They recommend the new rules for older ones, but you can still go by the old rules.) I think the advisory was around June of 2007?

To the poster who wanted to know about the 38-lb kid: at that point, I'd be fine using either path. The child is close enough to the "cut-off" that it shouldn't make a difference, especially since until recently it didn't matter.

Yup, it's just post advisory Regents. IIRC, the Newer Regent's shell is somewhat different.
I have a pre=advisory Regent and use it LBP with the recline bar and tether for my 48lb son.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
No, the Frontier doesn't require a LBP vs. SBP installation based on the child's weight. Only the post-advisory Regents do.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
They recommend the new rules for older ones, but you can still go by the old rules.

Just wanted to clarify that per Britax, with a pre-advisory Regent (the cutoff date was 6/17/07, I believe) you can use the old rules ONLY if you didn't install any part of the recall kit that Britax sent out. The kit included a longer LATCH strap (to allow LBP LATCH installations) and some grip strips to stick on the bottom of the seat. Oh, and new instructions, of course. :) If you installed any part of the recall kit, Britax says you must follow the new installation instructions.

twom

I have a couple of Huskies, and they can use long or short belt path regardless of the child's weight, when installing with a lap/shoulder belt. There is only one LATCH path, which is like the short path, and only a short path install is allowed when installing with a lap-only belt.

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member

Did you take your class in Rockville? That's where I took my class and we had a Husky. Everyone was very impressed that I already knew how to install it. :D

NannyMom

Did you take your class in Rockville? That's where I took my class and we had a Husky. Everyone was very impressed that I already knew how to install it. :D

LOL, no. I took it in Carroll County. It was a class done by Carroll and Fredrick counties. They were impressed I knew the LBP too. LOL, infact they were impressed at how much I knew about almost all of the seats (thanks to this site!).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC