No coats in carseat - includes pics

my2kidsSafe

I took these to email to a friend i figured i would add it here also to help anyone else.

Here is dd in a bulky varsity jacket. Harness pulled as tight as possible.

DSC04990-1.jpg

Here she is once i took her out of the coat and did not tighten the harness. Check out the slack.

DSC04993.jpg

DSC04992.jpg

Now here she is with a llbean 3-1 coat with all 3 pieces

DSC04995.jpg

Once i removed the outer layer and kept her in the fleece
DSC05000.jpg

DSC04999.jpg

I did take one of her without the fleece on and harness in same position but its not on my camera i will update it later but there was no slack

And here she is with fleece on normally and then outcoat on backwards after carseat is snapped

DSC05002.jpg

ADS

kaysmom

Thanks for the pics!! I don't think you can ever have too many reminders about coats and car seats! Not in Minnesota anyway where it's so tempting to do;)

Wife&MomX3

Can guests view this? I have some ppl I coudl e-mail this link to, help illustrate my reason for saying coats R not allowed in the carseats.
And the one finger U can fit in there in the 1st pic, is that considered as loose as it should be without coats (like when I hear ppl say "one or two fingers" for tightness? I cant even get my fingers in when my kids R just in one layer of clothes, I have them really tight. If I left it so I could fit a finger in, they could easily wear jackets, maybe even thin coats. (I really squeeze them in, but they dont complain and dont get marks)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Yes, guests/lurkers can view this thread here in the Carseat Chat forum without a login. The only portions of the forum that require logins are the ones you can't see when you're not logged into your account, such as swap and the more private community or technician only forums.

stacim

So, can someone spell out what is okay and what is not for me and others who may take a look at this thread. The no coat thing was actually new to me before I started to visit this forum.

Thanks!
Staci

CarSeatPoncho

Great pix! One thing a lot of people forget is that there is bulk on the BACK of the coat, not just the front. If one were to do a cross section of all the layers, there would be:

car seat
back of jacket
child
front of jacket

If the back and the front of the jacket are each 1/2", right there is your extra inch of slack.

Thanks for the visuals.

Citrine

So is it okay to just wear a fleece coat? Or should I put my daughter in a thiner coat while in car seat? Right now she is wearing LL bean Fleece Lined Hoodie.

Olivia 4.26.04 37lb 44in Regant/GN
Makayla 9.16.06 27lb 3oin RF Wizard

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Here is a video I did of K1 last year with typical winter coat.
deleted

A side picture of the harnesses "after" we removed the coat but hadn't adjusted the harnesses.
IMG_6422.jpg

Please don't make fun of me as I did this to show a friend and make a point. Also do not copy or save this as I will remove it shortly b/c I don't like having my child's pic on the internet.

Last edited:

NannyMom

Thanks for the video link. I like the idea of keeping the coat on, but unzipped. I'll have to actually try it and see how it works with my kiddos.

I also wanted to add, that even if you just use a polar fleece, you need to make sure it's not too big. MomBoss bought the kids some Lands End fleece jackets. I put J in his GN with the jacket, then w/o. THere was an inch or 2 of loose harness. His jacket is too big, it'll still fit him next year (and maybe the one after that, lol).

Kat_Momof3

the video linked to is mine... lol!

I'm glad you guys like it!

I'm going to make another this year... one to kind of act as a follow up... showing harnesses and a booster.

I agree... it is important to not assume fleece will work... which is why I did my video in the order I did... showing how you can tell if a coat is too thick... then showing the thinner options, and last the option for if you can't afford one of those or if the one you bought isn't thin enough.

Kaycee, I'm jealous.... normally it's still in the 60s-70s here in VA until January... but we're already having 36 or lower temps in the morning and highs in the low 50s... I think we're going to have a cold winter.

I would love a warm Cali winter.

brooklynsmommy

I don't ever loosen my harness unless it's been a while and she's grown. So when somone asks me about wearing coats, I basically tell them- If they don't fit without loosening it, take it off. It's too thick. If you can buckle them up without it being too tight, then you're fine.

NannyMom

I bought my DD a 3-in-1 coat from Target this year (much less expensive then Lands ENd). Then I realized the inner fleece is too thick :( I've been unzipping and pulling the sides out of the harness like in Kat's video. I feel much better with that :) Thanks for making the video Kat!

K

Kearah's Mom

I personally don't like the thought of wearing any jacket for a younger child. My daughter is 20 months old, only 21 pounds, and I am sure she would not "flatten" her coat enough to be able to be safe. Plus for younger children they are usually bought jackets that are extra big, so to keep for the winter. I think the 'testing' (puting the jacket on then strap the child in, then taking the child out without loosening the straps, then putting the child in without the jacket) should be bolded in this thread. IMO

It's a great idea, but I don't feel safe with doing this. Reminds me of the reason why you should not use a snugli bunting bag. I would opt for a sleeper with feet that I bought DD from Zellers and maybe the poncho (never knew about that one) or the blanket.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC