School bus vs gasoline tanker (no fatalities)

MonsterMom6

NHTSA recommends that any "preschooler" be harnessed when riding on a school bus. They define a preschooler as any child that is under 50lbs.

Even though my child will technically be in kindergarten and no longer a preschooler, she will still need to be harnessed on the bus to be considered safe. She is only 30-32lbs.

Wow, I'd say most of the Kindy's on our buses should be harnessed. My 4 only weigh 35#, 40#, 43#, and 46# and they are among the oldest. Judging from the looks of the others, I think most would be under 50#.

I rode on the bus on a field trip with 2 classes of Kindys. YIKES, they needed so many reminders to sit back, legs in, etc.

Lovinwaves, could you point me to a link to that recommendation???? ALL of our K students are bussed, regardless of how close they live to the school. Even the ones that live across the street from the school get on a bus.

ADS

Evolily

I would never send a child in a car when there was a school bus available. The safety difference is just too profound :twocents: .

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I would never send a child in a car when there was a school bus available. The safety difference is just too profound :twocents: .

In the case of a child under 50 lbs. and under the height needed for compartmentalization to be safe? On a bus with no harnesses? I'd choose the car.

I remember being taught how to "brace" in case we had time/warning before a crash in elementary school. (We only rode buses for field trips.)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Ditto, but IRL it's just not going to happen. Maybe when they are young but could a picture a bus load of middle school students with seat belts? And our buses rarely have a monitor on board, it is just the driver. I remember how awful my bus rides in school were with out seat belts (in regards to how the kids acted). In that bus they would have been weapons. Then you add in who is going to adjust them to go from the 175 lbs foot ball player that rode in the bus from game last night to the 50 lb first grader this morning? Then you add the number of families that are NOT teaching their kids proper car safety, they are not going to sit well in them...

I could go on and on and on... :whistle:

I've heard that 'argument' about how seatbelts would just become weapons. I really just don't think it's going to happen. Kids know what seatbelts are for these days, they wonder why they DON'T have them on buses, I just don't think they are going to be whipping latchplates around and strangling other kids with them. I know I won't convince you, so I won't try, but I just can't imagine it (and yes, I rode plenty of buses in public school, I remember :eek:)

AtTheSouthDam

I've heard that 'argument' about how seatbelts would just become weapons. I really just don't think it's going to happen. Kids know what seatbelts are for these days, they wonder why they DON'T have them on buses, I just don't think they are going to be whipping latchplates around and strangling other kids with them. I know I won't convince you, so I won't try, but I just can't imagine it (and yes, I rode plenty of buses in public school, I remember :eek:)

My biggest fears with it are selfish, I'll admit. I wanted to know who was going to make sure my daughter's belt was adjusted properly, if it COULD be adjusted properly and I found nothing but evidence that they she was safer without. I realize there is little studying done. Without info to support the safer in a bus with seat belt, and a plan for implementing, my mind goes for all the way they are safer with out (that, and my brothers DID whip each other with the latch plates growing up).

So, PLEASE, convince me! This is in no way sarcastic. I came on here earlier asking about this when the bill was proposed. Tell me some success stories! Tell me how the seat belts adjust (my biggest worry, those seat backs are so high that I imagine the belts coming from the top and just being so high on the child they all put them behind their backs!) Tell me they do make sure all the kids use the seat belts. Do the schools bother with anything for smaller grade schoolers? Etc.

My mind is open and does change for a persuasive argument :D

Murphy's Law

NHTSA recommends that any "preschooler" be harnessed when riding on a school bus. They define a preschooler as any child that is under 50lbs.

Even though my child will technically be in kindergarten and no longer a preschooler, she will still need to be harnessed on the bus to be considered safe. She is only 30-32lbs.

I've been wondering about this. My dd is 4 and has one more year of Pre-K (I will drive her). So in about 17 months she will be in Kindergarten and I assumed I'd put her on the bus. But I highly doubt she'll be 50 pounds by then, I'm not even sure she'll be 40. She gains so slowly. She is just 34/35 now at 4y3m. So if she's under 50, she'd be safer if I drove her? She's a regular ed student who (I'm almost sure) won't be entitled to restraints on the bus as she's not on an IEP that says that.

Would you guys still drive her til she hits 50?

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Would you guys still drive her til she hits 50?

For me, it would depend on how heavy she is and whether she can sit still on the bus. My DS was about 40 lbs in kindergarten and rode the bus to the district's after-school care four days a week. I felt comfortable with that for several reasons: I knew he could stay seated properly (we talked about it a lot); there were only a handful of kids who rode that particular route, so not a lot of distraction for him; and it was a very short trip - only 5-10 minutes - on low-traffic roads (so, no gasoline tankers to worry about).

Now that he's 8 (tomorrow!) and 48 lbs., I feel very comfortable letting him ride the bus for field trips. Unfortunately, since he goes to a charter school, there is no bus to/from school - DD and I drive a total of 28 miles per day to pick him up/drop him off, and I'd much rather be able to put him on the bus than subject both kids to that much car driving.

zeo2ski

In high school (late 90's-02) our busses had lap belts which we were not allowed to use and there was a lot of "stop playing with the seat belts" but I never heard of any one getting hurt. I do remember everyone thinking it was stupid to not be able to wear seat belts when they were right there--of course we didn't know anything about l/s vs lap vs compartmentalization, but we knew seat belts are good. If they did put l/s belts on busses, sure there'd be a break in period but then it would become the norm and I doubt there would be that many problems.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
My daughter was 42 pounds when she started kindergarten, and she rode the bus. I am personally scared of dropoff/pickup lines -- they seem like crashes waiting to happen.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
My biggest fears with it are selfish, I'll admit. I wanted to know who was going to make sure my daughter's belt was adjusted properly, if it COULD be adjusted properly and I found nothing but evidence that they she was safer without. I realize there is little studying done. Without info to support the safer in a bus with seat belt, and a plan for implementing, my mind goes for all the way they are safer with out (that, and my brothers DID whip each other with the latch plates growing up).

So, PLEASE, convince me! This is in no way sarcastic. I came on here earlier asking about this when the bill was proposed. Tell me some success stories! Tell me how the seat belts adjust (my biggest worry, those seat backs are so high that I imagine the belts coming from the top and just being so high on the child they all put them behind their backs!) Tell me they do make sure all the kids use the seat belts. Do the schools bother with anything for smaller grade schoolers? Etc.

My mind is open and does change for a persuasive argument :D

LOL, well, alright then... check out what bus seatbelts look like nowadays.. http://www.safeguardseat.com/bus/products_flex.htm :love: (no, the lapbelts aren't ideally low on all the kids, but remember the odds of a bus actually being in a crash are near zero, and the fit isn't 'too' bad, as long as the upper body belt is worn, the odds of abdominal injury should be infintisimal)

mygirlkat74

As a former bus driver, whom bus held over 60 kids at one time to school and to home. I would rather not have seat belts. One, if there is a fire on a bus. You only have a window of 3 minutes to get the kids out of the bus before it is enveloped in flames. Think of getting 60 + kids out of seat belts in a hurry. It can't happen. We practiced escape out of the bus 6 times a year. If your bus failed to get the kids out in that 3 minutes. Then you had to keep practicing every morning till it worked.

I have seen bus fires. I have seen bus accidents. I worked for The school district where the one driver had an accident a few years back because it was found she used drugs. A few kids got hurt. No one died. Plus then two years later a county near us had a child die just because some stupid truck driver was speeding on a country road and a poll came out from his truck, came through the glass window and struck a child in the head. Even if there was seat belts that boy would have still died.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC