Question Flying with Boulevard

U

Unregistered

We are flying with our 16mo old DD and want to use her Boulevard on board. How does it fit in and should I install it rear or front facing? She is still rear facing on car. We really can not get another carseat for travel as we live in an apartment (and have absolutely no space to store an extra seat) so we have to be able to use the Boulevard.

ADS

MomToEliEm

As long as your child still fits within the rearfacing limits of the Boulevard, it would be best to install it that way on the plane. The carseat may be a little more upright then you are used to since there isn't a whole lot of space on the plane, but it should be safe. I prefer rearfacing on the plane because my child is able to look at me so I can entertain her during the flight. If your child is still under 20 pounds, your child must still be rearfacing since your seat doesn't allow forward facing before that weight.

Print off these FAA documents on using a seat according the the manufacturer instructions and store it in your diaper bag. These documents may help you if you happen to get a flight attendant who insists that you forward face, even when your daughter still fits rearfacing.
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/60d70126cf679d5a8625723b007841e7/$FILE/AC%20120-87A.pdf

Prior to your flight, make sure that you bring along your carseat manual and locate the "FAA Approved for airplane use" sticker on the carseat.

If you were to move the child to forward facing, you would also probably have to change the straps since they would have to be at or above the shoulders, when you currently have it setup for at or below the shoudlers since your child is still rearfacing.

All the above information applies only if you bought a ticket for your child on the plane. If you are just hoping to get an extra seat on the plane and brining your seat along just in case, there is a chance that you will not be allowed to use your carseat as you want it to be installed.

U

Unregistered

Thank you for your answer. She is just above 20lbs so don't have to have her rearfacing it might be nicer though like you said. Any ideas for a tray she could use to draw and eat if rear facing?

We are flying to Europe and I'm worried we might run into problems there with the car seat. The carrier we'll take says you can only use seat front facing at the plain so you never know if they let us to use it rear facing :(

skipspin

Are you flying on a US Airline? If not, I'd research the airline's policies. Some practically prohibit all car seats. Oh, and if you do really have to use your seat forward facing because of a true rule (and not just the flight attendant's whim) remember it's still much, much, safer than no seat at all!

MomToEliEm

Thank you for your answer. She is just above 20lbs so don't have to have her rearfacing it might be nicer though like you said. Any ideas for a tray she could use to draw and eat if rear facing?

We are flying to Europe and I'm worried we might run into problems there with the car seat. The carrier we'll take says you can only use seat front facing at the plain so you never know if they let us to use it rear facing :(

Since you have looked into your airline's policy, you probably better be prepared to forward face. International airlines often are more strict on their policies of carseats so you may face some big obstacles with the flight attendants if you try to rearface. You can always ask and see what they say, but be prepared with the forward facing install.

Please note that whenever installing the boulevard forward facing, try to ask for a seatbelt extender to get that buckle out from the tight area right in the middle of the carseat. If you can't get an extender, flip the buckle backwards so that it opens up down towards the seat back. This way, it will give you more ability to unlatch it where the release isn't pushed so tight against the carseat's shell.

Just so you are prepared, even forward facing, you probably will not be able to utilize the tray since the boulevard sits too high on the pedestal. We have a soft tray that we have in our carseats that might work well for you on your trip (http://www.amazon.com/Star-Kids-Products-LLC-Travel/dp/B000KJBFC8) for when we go on long trips in our car. It is soft and lightweight so I think it would be safe in an accident.

tomski12

go to seatguru.com and check the dimensions of the seat for your airline. we recently flew on Aer Lingus to Ireland with a roundabout and it was tight. They would only allow forward facing and, if the person in front chose to recline their seat, they would have nailed my son's feet.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC