When did you put your dc in a booster full time?

MyLittleTyke

Senior Community Member
My 7 year old is 50 lbs and still fits very well in the regent. I ended up buying him a parkway to use for school trips. He never rode in a booster until last month. He loves his booster and sits in it very well. He would much prefer to use his booster full time. I feel guilty strapping him into his regent when I pick him up from school. He is definately the only child in his school still in a five pt. harness. Many of the kids don't even use boosters. So, I'm wondering if I should just move him into the booster. He does sit in it well, and I feel that he is safe. I just feel the regent is safer. And then I feel like such a sell out, because at checks when parents say their children are happier forward facing, I give them the whole, "it's not about keeping them happy it's about keeping them safe" speech.

So, all that to say, when did you move your dc into a booster full time? I was thinking of either putting him in a booster full time when he turns 8 in June, or getting an Oobr when they come out and putting him in it full time in January or whenever it's released. I love the parkway. I do. It's an awesome seat, and pretty much fool-proof for his teachers, but for a full time seat in my van, I want a booster that latches.

Thank you. :)

ADS

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I do not have a child his age yet! Mine is only 5. However, I would feel 100% perfectly fine with a 7 year old in a booster full time if he can sit in it properly.

I do not think that going from a harness to a booster at 7 years of age is anything close to parents flipping a child ff early. A 7 year old is safe in a booster if he sits properly.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
My dd was a little over 6 and 50 pounds when she moved to a booster full time.

I was rear ended and her Husky was replaced with a Regent, but I sold it instead of keeping it because dd really was perfectly fine in a booster.

She has always been really mature, I could have trusted her in a booster at 3 years old - seriously.

At 7, if he is mature enough to sit properly, I'd have no hesitations about full-time booster use.

CandCfam

My oldest was 5 years and 9 months and just a hair under 48 lbs.

She sits perfectly in her booster - if she didn't, I wouldn't have moved her to a booster.

skaterbabs

At 7, if he is mature enough to sit properly, I'd have no hesitations about full-time booster use.

I agree. I really want to keep my daughter harnessed in her primary ride until she's 6, but I have no problem with a 7 yo in a booster as long as he can sit properly.

Which isn't to say I wouldn't pull out the harnessed seat for vacations. ;) There's something about the freedom of knowing the kid can be out cold asleep and I don't have to worry about "sleep slump". :whistle:

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
My oldest is the exact same age & weight as your son. She just moved to a PW full time about 2 months ago. Like your ds she was still in a Regent with plenty of growing room but was begging to move to a booster. She has been great in it with very little corrections from me.

The one thing I do when I know she is tired and could possibly fall a sleep in the vehicle. I lock her seatbelt just to give her more upper body support while sleeping. She is alway very much aware if we are to go on a long road trip she will be placed back in her Regent no exceptions.

Michael will be 6 on Nov. 7th, he is 51 pounds and 50 inches tall.
He was harnessed, but always getting carsick...for some odd reason being in a booster has helped him not get carsick at all.
He sits PERFECT in a booster now..... Though I would rather have him harnessed, but having my child puke non-stop in the car was getting quite old and he was really starting to hate the car.

He is in a High back booster.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
As long as he sits well, I'd probably move him too. I'm planning on moving AJ when Ilana can go ffing, so he has at least another year in a harness, he's 5.5yo. Originally I said 6, but w/ #4 coming I fit harnessed seats in the back better so he has to stay in one for now, plus he's still kinda wiggly now that he realized he can actually move around in a booster!

MomToEliEm

My DD is not yet full-time in a booster at age 6, but since she is nearing the limits on her regent, she will be full-time soon.

I know I can move her anytime to a booster in my car and she will be fine, but I really want to get as much use out of her regent as possible. Once she is out of it, I don't have another child to utilize it (DD#2 already has a regent and the regent won't fit into the truck). I hate the thought of the regent just sitting around not being used.

christineka

I will be fine with ds in a booster at age 7. I'm just not sure because he has a nautilus. The next younger child will be 6.5 before she outgrows a 40 pound seat. That is in 2.5 years. Ds will be 8 then. The child even younger will be rfing for at least 2 more years. Maybe he can have the nautilus. I know dd will not go for switching to a boring colored seat and I'd rather not invest in the pink cover just for her to be in the seat for a tiny amount of time.

Anyway, I'd say 7. If I couldn't pass the seat down to a younger sibling I might consider harnessing longer or selling the seat to finance a great booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC