I fixed my babysitter's install today - should have done it sooner....

morninglori

It's a bit of a story....

My DS stays with a wonderful person during the day while I am at work, I provide an EFT DLX for DS for them to go to story time every Monday and occasional in town errands. She has 2 kids 3yo(30lb) and 16mo (21lb). She has a GN for the 3yo and an EFT LX for her 16mo. Just like me.

I noticed the other day that the harness straps on both of her kids were WAY off. the GN was too low and the EFT was too high. I told her I would help her fix them if she wanted since I have the same seats.

So this morning when I dropped DS off, I asked her if she wanted me to adjust her kids harnesses. It was a good time for her so she opened her car- Honda Oddessy. I started with the GN since I knew I would have to un Latch it to get to the straps. She has her kids in the captains chairs in the middle. I was very surprised to see that the tether wasn't hooked up, looked over at her EFT (which is FF- I have already talked to her about ERF, especially since her 16mo is so tiny. She turned him RF, but her DH turned him back around because the 16mo's legs looked uncomfortable.- I tried...) OK back to the story...the EFT was untethered as well.

So I made the adjustment on the GN, then showed her where the tether attachment was and attached it. I moved next to the EFT and had to loosen the seat to get to the tether, re-tightened the seat, attached the tether, and then adjusted the harness height.

I then looked at my DS's seat which was in the rear passenger seat. I noticed that it was strapped in with the shoulder belt, but it looked weird. it only moved about an inch so I was OK with the install, but when I looked a closely at where the strap was, it was through the back of the seat, where the belt goes for a FF install. Needless to say I was very surprised and the babysitter told me that her DH put it like that because they weren't able to get the seat tight enough going through the other belt path. I told her I understood and then I proceeded to install the seat correctly and tightened up the belt as tight as I could. the seat still moved about an inch, but it was the tightest I could get it.

I think she was a bit embarassed, and told me that they just put the seats in and didn't read the manuals. I told her that all was good and that now her kids will be more comfortable and to not worry.

I am glad I did this, I just wish I had done it sooner.

If you got through all this, I so appreciate you listening...I just had to get it off my chest. I can't really talk to my DH since he thinks I am the car seat gazpacho with my wanting to get the solid install. I am by no means an expert, but I have tried to learn as much about the GN and EFT/EFTA which we have.

LH

ADS

scatterbunny

:eek: I was LOL at that, to, Anna.

Gazpacho

Gestapo (I think what the OP probably meant)

OP, I'm glad you were able to help her fix her own seats, and especially, your ds's seat! :eek: I hope she'll be more diligent now and read manuals and do the installs herself, since her dh can't be trusted to do it right. As a babysitter/daycare provider/nanny, I'd be seriously concerned about liability issues of not reading manuals/installing seats properly.

Kat_Momof3

well, even though she had some errors, she was doing better than most, so I'd make sure she knows how well she was doing to begin with.... just give her that pat on the back so she's not feeling guilty about not having it perfect.

a tip for the third row... try reclining the bench... then installing... get it snug... then pop the bench back into upright.

morninglori

Oh yes, I definitely want to make sure that she doesn't feel guilty.

Thanks for the tip on the thirdrow install. I will pass it on.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC