Question WDYD?

brelza

So I was reading about the EH ane ERF car seats threads a lot today. I'm curious though. I think the highest RF seat in the U.S. is 35lbs. What do you do if you have a 35lb baby that is under 1 year? I'm just curious as I know a baby that was 21.5" and nearly 11lb at birth. She's now 4 mo, 26" and is 20+lbs now. I know babies tend to slow their growth some, but.....you never know. What would be an option if she doesn't?:scratcheshead:

ADS

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I think there was a thread about this very recently. You can find it if you do a search.:)

IMO this is a situation that just does not come up often at all. You just do not find many 12 mos old children over 35 lbs. If your child is over 35 lbs you have no choice but to flip them ff. If you have the funds and the way to get one, you can get a seat from Sweden that rf past 35 lbs.

Pepse

i was concerned about htis with dd too.

She was 8.10 at birth and 23lbs by 6 months.

At her 12 month appointment she was 23.6 and now at 14 months she is just under 26lbs.

Once she starts moving she will lose some weight and you don't have to worry about a huge baby that you have to lug around lol

skaterbabs

It's actually VERY rare for a child to reach 35 lbs before a year. My eldest son was 9 lbs 6 oz at birth and was "only" 30 lbs on his first birthday. He didn't reach 35 until around 18-20 months.

brelza

I think there was a thread about this very recently. You can find it if you do a search.:)

IMO this is a situation that just does not come up often at all. You just do not find many 12 mos old children over 35 lbs. If your child is over 35 lbs you have no choice but to flip them ff. If you have the funds and the way to get one, you can get a seat from Sweden that rf past 35 lbs.

I'll keep that in mind and let her father know if she continues to grow at this rate. Thanks!

my2kidsSafe

My son was born at 11 lbs 6 oz, and at almost 2 he is barely 28 lbs. He was big up until 5 or 6 months, then his weight slowed down. So i highly doubt the baby will get to 35 lbs prior to a year. My 4.5 year old is only 37 lbs.

Pixels

The reason that there are no RFing US seats past 35 pounds is because they don't have the crash test dummies for it. The US gov't sets standards for the (OK, I'll use the correct term) Anthropomorphic Test Devices. The one that they use for RF tests weighs 35 pounds with all the instrumentation on it. The next "size" is 50 pounds. That's a pretty big jump. Not that they couldn't make a 50 pound RFing seat, they just don't. I'm pretty sure that there isn't enough demand in the American market for the manufacturers to justify it.

A 35 pound 1 year old is completely off the percentile charts. 28.8 pounds is 99.9th percentile. (WHO data)

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC