Using a pool noodle and graco seat no base...

mykidsmylife

Have you ever come across a situation where you didn't have to use a pool noodle or tightly rolled towell under the front of the carseat with no base?

Just curious. I was reading my manual and it said the only time to use one is when the carseat cannot be angled properly.
I have installed carseats w/o bases in about 8 different vehicles and have ALWAYS needed a towell or pool noodle.

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I know some people squish it into the seat. I just always use a towel or noodles.

BW1426

I didn't use a pool noodle with Bubby's snugride in my car. There was never an issue.

Nisha

I've never used a noodle/towle with no base. There is a gap in there but no need to fill it since the car seat pushes in to the seat back and the seat bottom and the seatbelt keeps it tight there.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I always use a towel. I've tried squishing it into the seat, but it's way too easy to tip the CR down and mess up the angle. I hate using buckets without the base, in fact I shlepped the base down to AZ with me so I would avoid having to install without it.

tiggercat

I hardly ever use a towel/noodle. As long as the vehicle seat is squishy, and you use your thighs to push it down and back as you tighten, it's usually not necessary. I have had to use a noodle pyramid in a vehicle with hard seats that had very little/no squish to them, because the angle could be changed with a push on the top of the restraint.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I never used a towel or pool noodle with the infant seats my kids had - that was back before any of them came with bases.

mykidsmylife

Wow... Even Johnathons old Century Noah Print pattern had to have a pool noodle in my Grand Am and Trans Sport. LOL.

I know in my moms 2008 Mercedes we had to use a towell for my nephew and in my Neon I had to use a towell. Also in my MIL town and coutry and the front seat in my FIL Ford.

So basically every time I have used an infant seat w/o the base I needed something under it.

I havent tired it in my van yet but will probably always have the base. Out of curiosity I will have to go try later today. After I have my u/s and know the baby is okay....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC