Please help...

djma

I am so torn...

My main set up is in a 2002 Toyota Highlander (no 3rd row)

DS1 behind passenger in a regent
DS2 behind driver rfng in an EFTA

Problem...(bear with me)
I take another 2yo to preschool on Tues/Thursdays - oddly enough, he needs the same harness slot on the regent as my 5yo DS1. So I was thinking to let him ride in the regent.

I cannot fit 3 across without flipping DS2 ff'ng.

Would you flip DS2 ffng in order to get 3 across and keep DS1 in the back OR would you allow DS1 to ride in a Nauti in the front seat pushed all the way back to keep DS2 rfng?

This is only on Tuesdays and Thursdays one way. (DS1 is not with me when I take the 2yo home after school)

I cannot turn the airbag off for the front passenger.

DS1 is 5yrs 8mo and 49 pounds.

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
What are the stats on the other 2-year-old? Is this a temporary situation, or a long-term one? What is the third seat you're working with?

Can you put the Regent in the center? If it puzzles with the EFTA (not sure if it will), you might have room outboard for a booster.

I'd be perfectly fine with the 5-year-old in a booster, but you might need to swap out the Regent with something narrower that will fit the other child.

djma

What are the stats on the other 2-year-old? Is this a temporary situation, or a long-term one? What is the third seat you're working with?

Can you put the Regent in the center? If it puzzles with the EFTA (not sure if it will), you might have room outboard for a booster.

I'd be perfectly fine with the 5-year-old in a booster, but you might need to swap out the Regent with something narrower that will fit the other child.

The 2yo that I take is 36-37 pounds and I'm not sure on his height. He is all torso and is above the 2nd slots on the Regent.

I would prefer DS1 not be in a booster - he does not sit still at all.

My problem is, I am just having an extremely hard time turning DS2. I am a "what if" kind of person and it's going to drive me insane. :eek:

amyg530

what are DS2s stats?

have you tried the EFTA RF in the middle?

do you have any other seats available besides the EFTA, GN and regent?

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
Have you tried locking the seat belt while the 5 year old sits in a booster? I'd much rather see your 5 year old ina booster seat than in the front seat in any type of seat. I'd also rather see 5 year old in a booster and 2 year old rf than 5 year old harnessed and 2 year old ff. Can you try working with him and see if perhaps he can handle a booster for the short ride? I'm in no way pushing to get him out of a harness but at 5 it is a safe option if you can work with him to sit properly. You could squeeze the booster in the center if you have a l/s in the center and put the other 2 year old in the Regent.

Would you be flipping the seat back and forth for the 2 year old? I'm thinking that would get old very fast!

MissAllyLou

Could you afford a Radian? I'm pretty sure you could fit a GN, EFTA, and RN in the middle row, and then everyone would be snug as a bug. You might even be able to fit a RN, EFTA, and Regent, but I'm not sure.

BW1426

Personally, I'd see if you could get a scenera to work for three across and put DS2 in the scenera.

Are you installing with LATCH or seatbelt?

djma

I'm getting a Radian from Arly today - but when we played around we could only get ffng seats in the back row. I may play around again when I get back.

The seats I have are a nauti, efta, radian, turbo booster, signo, and regent

I have tried locking the seatbelt with ds1. It tends to work for the most part.

DS2's stats are unsure right now. I need to get to an accurate scale - b/c that may solve all my problems. I just don't want to turn him...dang it when are they going to have 40lb rfng seats here?!?!?!?!

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If my only choices are 2-year-old FFing or 5-year-old in front seat, I would forward-face the 2-year-old if he meets the weight limit. (I would, of course, try to make other arrangements, but I'm answering the hypothetical in the OP.)

amyg530

i would try the GN, the signo and the radian. the regent is really big so i would probably rule it out, same for the EFTA. of course i know nothing of your car (or the signo) so i'm just throwing out ideas that sound good in my head :D

maybe the GN (DS1) RN (RF ds2) signo (other kid)

OR

GN, FF RN, RF signo

how 2 is your DS2?

djma

Ok - my hands hurt! :p

But - problem solved! I got a nauti, ff radian, and rf efta (all l/s belt installs). As cold and windy as it is here today and I broke a major sweat!!

Thanks for all the input!!

Last edited:

arly1983

OMG! That looks AWESOME!!!!

Good Job! I wish I could have been there to help.

Now all your problems are solved.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC