Vent Booster for 20m old???!!

NotJUSTamom

Alright..this is something that makes me NUTS! I was in the parking lot the other day and I saw this mom, with this adorable little toddler who was no more than 1.5. She was carefully placed into her GRACO HIGH BACK BOOSTER SEAT!Sadly, this is not the first time i have seen this.. I wanted to just go up and say " What are you DOING" that baby DOES NOT belong in a BOOSTER SEAT. So, when I got home I went on targets website to see if they had any good deals on an HBTB for my 7yo when her friends take her places. Anyway, I was reading the reviews and there was one that said "great seat, but not for my 20 month old" UM, DUH they are NOT for babies.." Geeze..then I saw one about a lady using it for her 22 month old..and it was reccomended by her DOCTOR! :mad:Now, i realize that docs have a lot of medical news to keep up on, but honestly..everyone knows 22m olds do NOT belong in booster seats! My 25 month old takes naps, in a crib, with a paci, wearing a diaper, and sits rear-facing in her Britax Boulevard..lol shes still very much a baby..I would never ever put her in a booster seat at this age! I'm sorry if this is over dramatic, but honestly..babies/tots in boosters are NOT a good idea..:thumbsdown:

ADS

rodentranger

You'd be surprised at the "knowledge" in some ped's offices.
At my DS's 18 mo WBC, the nurse asked if he was still in a carseat. I told her that he was still rfing too. She looked at me rather confused and said, "Did he just gain a bunch of weight? He's 27 lbs. He can be turned around."
"No, he hit 20 lbs right about at a year. It's safer for them to be rf'ing until they reach the limit of their seat. His seat's limit is 33 lbs."
"Well if he stays on his current growth curve, that won't be until after he's three! You can turn him around now."
"I'm aware of the age at which he's likely to reach 33 lbs. I'm also aware of the statistics showing that he's safer facing the rear of the car. I plan on keeping him that way until I need to turn him around, but thank you for your concern."
I had pretty much the same convo with the ped too.

MissAllyLou

A friend and I were at BRU tonight, and she put her not-quite 2 year old into a Turbo Booster, and she fit amazingly well! So, I think that confuses people... I mean, she really looked comfy and, to the untrained eye, safe, in the Turbo! Good thing her mommy is a tech, and she's on this board, and the little one is still rear-facing in her MA :).

natysr

My 25 month old takes naps, in a crib, with a paci, wearing a diaper, and sits rear-facing in her Britax Boulevard..lol shes still very much a baby..I would never ever put her in a booster seat at this age! I'm sorry if this is over dramatic, but honestly..babies/tots in boosters are NOT a good idea..:thumbsdown:

This made me giggle. You are so right.

My son is fully potty trained (even at night), reads at almost a first grade level, and rides a two-wheeler with no training wheels...and he is still rearfacing in his carseat. :)

xxluckychicxx

The other day I was shocked to see a mom putting a baby who had turned 1 year the day before in a HBB. He went from a KF30 to a TB :thumbsdown:

Avery'sMama

CPST Instructor
I was buckling my DS, 21 months, into his rear-facing seat and noticed through my DD's open slider opposite me, the mom in the next car over buckling her child of approx. my DS's age into a HBB, incorrectly also, I might add. She looked over at my DS, 4.5 in a Regent, and my DD in his rear facing Marathon and looked shocked. I smiled back :) I just hope I made her think, at least a little, about what she was doing!

Kat_Momof3

I think comparing the baby characteristics to the seat they are in is a great point.

Seriously... anyone who needs a crib, a pacifier, bottles/boob (heck, even a sippy cup unless it is solely to preserve the car... my nephew had one until he was 7 in long trips) and can't tell me in detail the importance of that booster seat they ride in does NOT belong in said booster seat.

I remember reading that when you put a child in a booster, you are changing the safety of that child from your power to theirs. I think it is very true and that no child who isn't able to handle that responsibility should be in anything less than a 5-point harness.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I had a mom come in, wondering why the police kept pulling her over. She had her 3 month old in a booster.

mhmom

Maybe I just so new to all of this but when you talk about improper use of a booster, do you mean with a seatbelt or the boosters that still have a 5 point harness?

brelza

but honestly..babies/tots in boosters are NOT a good idea..:thumbsdown:

ITA w/this and that is why our house has become car seat/booster seat central. We've bought so many seats over the years and replace some seats and had extras lying around that we've supplied Grammy and Great Nana and his cousin with seats for kids they tote around. Great Nana wanted to put Chris' cousin's little girl who was only 2 at the time in a cosco protek. I was like well tell you what I just got Erin a new seat you can use her seat til Hannah is bigger THEN you can put her in it. I walked it up to her house (she lives 2 blocks away) and installed it for her and I checked every so often to see if the seat needs to be adjusted for her. Now she's 3yrs so they've moved her to the booster though :(

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Did she listen to you and buy a proper seat?

:eek: That is INSANE!!

Were you able to get the baby into an appropriate seat?

My other tech at work was "helping" her. She would come back and ask for my opinion once in a while. She refused to buy a RFing seat. Didn't buy anything. I assume she went to Walmart for something horrible. On a good note. I had parents yesterday that said that in their class, they were told that when the feet hit the seat, they had to switch. I finally got them on "my side". They had a SS1. Baby was 6 months old. I actually got to check their install. They had three mistakes (deadly) and are much happier now.

Ok, highjack over...sorry.

Kat_Momof3

I'm curious about how baby could be strapped in, too.

Plus, what person would not see that the booster was for 30lbs and up.

Horrid a minimum as it is, it is definitely higher than a 3mo old's weight.

did she say why she wouldn't buy a seat from you guys?

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
She was not interested in a RFing seat. The other tech told her the baby could not forward face. We should have snuck outside for a look, but we didn't. Someone here saw a baby in a RFing TB once too.

xxluckychicxx

She was not interested in a RFing seat. The other tech told her the baby could not forward face. We should have snuck outside for a look, but we didn't. Someone here saw a baby in a RFing TB once too.

:confused: Geez how would that even work?

People never cease to amaze me.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Geeze..then I saw one about a lady using it for her 22 month old..and it was reccomended by her DOCTOR! :mad:

I bet she misinterpreted what her doctor said.

Maybe I just so new to all of this but when you talk about improper use of a booster, do you mean with a seatbelt or the boosters that still have a 5 point harness?

And this illustrates why I think she misinterpreted what her doctor said. I bet that doctor said "booster" meaning combination seat, but she heard "booster" meaning BPB. I think this kind of confusion happens all the time.

:twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC