I feel soooo bad... :(

Blondie87

I feel soooo bad... :(- UPDATE

My 2 year old foster son's grandma just picked him up because he is going to spend the weekend with her. I was doing something else when she was buckling him in.. but when I turn to say goodbye to him I then noticed the carseat. It was horrible. It kind of looked like one of the cosco hbb with the harness.. I'm not sure if it was expired or not. Sure looked old.. and the straps were soooo twisted, and his crotch buckle was twisted backwards, and the harness wasn't the buckle kind.

I didn't even say anything! I just froze in shock of the carseat and the next thing I knew that grandma was saying bye and pulling away! I have a Boulevard in my car for him but Judi and her husband just spent like 2 hours installing his RF with the tether, so I wasn't about to take it out. I do have an extra carseat that I forgot about that expires in about a year, but I spaced out.

When she comes to drop him off Sunday I will definately ask her if I can see the carseat, if it's expired I will ask her if we can trade carseats, if she takes my extra and I dipose of hers.. If it's not I will just rethread her harness and untwist it. She is taking him next weekend also. I just feel so bad.. I should have said something, instead I just let her drive off with him in that thing.. :(

Am I horrible?

Last edited:
ADS

Andie

You are not horrible. I've done the same thing. Sometimes, you are just too in shock to act quickly enough. Could you call her and say something about the twisted straps? I wouldn't know how to word it well though.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
No one is perfect, you are not horrible. :eek::love: It's a really sticky situation to deal with all of a sudden -- I'm guessing you gave yourself a few days if not weeks to process the new information before making an appointment for yourself.... At least, that seems to be how it is for most here ;)

Maybe you could simply share with Grandma that you're so relieved to have recently learned how to keep kiddo safe from a CPST & would love to help schedule an appointment for her, too? Or hopefully at least trading carseats would work well :) GOOD LUCK

Blondie87

Okay I just called her and had a long talk with her. She said that she knows her carseat is over 6 years and that she had no idea that they expire. She also has an 11 month old granddaughter in another foster home (I was full) and she is still in an infant seat and she is a chunker.. probably 25-30 lbs. She didn't know they had a weight limit, or that they grow it when there is less than 1 inch above their head. She says that she has definately outgrown it.

So I told her that I'll give her my carseat, and I also told her about the Scenera. She says she can't afford alot but she can spend $50 on a carseat. She is trying to get custody of both of the kids so she says that she is glad I told her all of this, that she was out of date on it all! I also told her about Joel and she gasped and couldn't belive it. I feel alot better now. I wish I could help her buy a 2nd scenera so both kids can RF. I think my seat on RF to 30 lbs, then harnesses to 40 lbs.

It drives me crazy how DHS doesn't check these things. My caseworker came to get one of my kids in an expired carseat. Ahhh..

Andie

Okay I just called her and had a long talk with her. She said that she knows her carseat is over 6 years and that she had no idea that they expire. She also has an 11 month old granddaughter in another foster home (I was full) and she is still in an infant seat and she is a chunker.. probably 25-30 lbs. She didn't know they had a weight limit, or that they grow it when there is less than 1 inch above their head. She says that she has definately outgrown it.

So I told her that I'll give her my carseat, and I also told her about the Scenera. She says she can't afford alot but she can spend $50 on a carseat. She is trying to get custody of both of the kids so she says that she is glad I told her all of this, that she was out of date on it all! I also told her about Joel and she gasped and couldn't belive it. I feel alot better now. I wish I could help her buy a 2nd scenera so both kids can RF. I think my seat on RF to 30 lbs, then harnesses to 40 lbs.

It drives me crazy how DHS doesn't check these things. My caseworker came to get one of my kids in an expired carseat. Ahhh..

That's great! The DHS here has horrible car seat usage. You'd think they'd want to do their best about it, since they are all about saving children.

scatterbunny

Good for you!!! :thumbsup: It warms my heart to have another Oregonian "CPS convert" :p

I've dealt with the local DHS on expired/poorly installed seats, and not using boosters for kids who still (legally!) need to be in them. One worker took the 8 hour "beginner" CPS course and seemed very interested, but I don't think much has really changed.

Blondie87

How much longer do you think the 28 month old could fit in the carseat I'm giving them? It's a Safety First made in 03 and it RF to 35 lbs and FF to 40 lbs. Right now he is 30 lbs. I'm not sure if he will be able to RF in it because of the shell height, I will have to check him in it tomorrow. But the Scenera's shell height is about the same as my safety first so I'm not sure if he will be able to RF in either. He will probably have to be FF.

Anyways.. the 28 month old boy will use my seat that I'm giving to her. Then I am meeting her at Wal-Mart tomorrow to show her the Scenera, so she'll probably get the pink girly one for the chunky 11 month old girl. I'm just hoping the 28 month old can last awhile in the carseat I'm giving her. 10 lbs is alot to gain right?

I told her that just a year ago I was using carseats soooo wrong.. well, even like 3/4 months ago! I had kiddos over the weight limit in seats, straps twisted, having a tiny 18 month old weighing 21 lbs FF. I always had the chest clips and the harnesses in the right spots though. I still can't believe the things I did! lol I am just glad I know alot better now and I can teach her! :)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
How much longer do you think the 28 month old could fit in the carseat I'm giving them? It's a Safety First made in 03 and it RF to 35 lbs and FF to 40 lbs. Right now he is 30 lbs. I'm not sure if he will be able to RF in it because of the shell height, I will have to check him in it tomorrow. But the Scenera's shell height is about the same as my safety first so I'm not sure if he will be able to RF in either. He will probably have to be FF.
I would be surprised if a 28 month old at 30# doesn't have at least 6 months left in the Scenera RF -- my daughter still just barely fit her Scenera RF at 4 years old: she is >90th percentile for height, but she's also mostly legs....

Regardless after 24 months I wouldn't worry much at all about having to FF as long as the seat can be top tethered :)

I am meeting her at Wal-Mart tomorrow to show her the Scenera, so she'll probably get the pink girly one for the chunky 11 month old girl.
Yay! :thumbsup:

I am just glad I know alot better now and I can teach her!
That's what it's all about :love: & believe me, even the best of us made our fair share of frightening mistakes in our time :eek:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Crap Codi. Don't feel bad about taking the car seat out. I feel so bad now! You can totally do what we did, I know that. Still waiting for an answer about the tether. I sent the pics. I have been dreaming tethers, I swear! Oh, and today, I did 6 more seats, in two cars.

Blondie87

I didn't take the Boulevard out cuz his is the one that's tethered lol.. I'm sure I could have easily unhooked it and then reinstalled easily since you already got the D ring (that's what it's called right?) on. But I don't think DH would have wanted her to take our carseat either since we don't know her at all, it's only the 2nd time I have met/talked to her. Ya never know.

But I will be giving her our extra seat tomorrow and then helping her pick out a Scenera. Not sure what kid will go in what but we'll figure it out tomorrow. I told her I would help her install it and everything.

Do you or anyone in our area pick up old carseats and take them to the recycle place? Cuz she may have 1 or 2 to give me tomorrow..

I think I should just buy a Scenera as an extra seat for when DHS has to transport my kiddos. J gets picked up every other month by a DHS transporter to go to wilsonville... and I have no idea how old those carseats are. DHS never has nice carseats. The lady is always running late but I should check the DOM of J's seat next time she comes. He rides FF in her van too.. :(

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Yeah, pass them on to me. I will take care of them.

I don't blame you, not wanting to lend your car seat though. I am very careful who borrows mine.

Blondie87

Oh- Judi- I wanted to tell you that when I was putting my middle guy in today I noticed the locking clip popped open.. ?? The seat belts are still locked so it's not a big deal.. but I can't close the locking clip at all.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Yeah, sorry, I did that when I was changing the recline. Ok, so I guess I am not the one dreaming of tethers. DH say he is too. We both agree that if we can't tether, we still like the idea of both being in the center. Maybe we can start a thread about that, with the pic you have of the back window?

Blondie87

About whether they should be in the 3rd row or the 2nd? I gotta tell you.. it was alot easier putting the kids in the 3rd row then it is in the 2nd.. lol. 25 lbs is alot to lift to the middle! Either way I'm okay. But I would like them to be tethered. It just feels more sturdy and safe. Especially cuz in the middle row I would like to have mirrors.. but in the 3rd row I don't care if they do or not. Hmm... should I start a thread and see what people think I should do?

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Ok, DH talking: yeah, that's true, it would be easier, but middle row is safer.

Ok, me talking: Maybe start a poll. Middle row, no tether, or third row tethered. Seriously, whatever you choose. They will be safer than 87% of all kids in our area. I can't wait to see what comes of the pics I sent. I think it will be a no though.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm jumping in before the poll is started, but I'd go middle row no tether every day of the week. I don't view rf tethering as a necessity, and I think the benefit gained by being in the middle vs. the 3rd row has potential to be exponential in a severe rear impact collision - certainly much more of a difference than the minimal improvement seen with a rf'ing tether... Since you have the choice, I'd go middle row.:twocents:

Blondie87

So I just talked to Grandma cuz she is picking him up for the weekend again. And she went and bought 2 new Cosco High Back Boosters/Harness- http://www.walmart.com/catalog/allReviews.do?product_id=1943168 One in blue for M and pink for her granddaughter, M. I told her that the lil girl, who is 11 months, can't use it for another month, but even then it's not reccomended to FF until she is at least 2. I told her she can either use my extra or return it and get the girly Scenera. She is going to return it for the Scenera.

I am just worried she is going to use that thing as a booster! I am sure it'll fit M for at least a year or more cuz he is little. 29 lbs and 34.5 in. But when he hits 40 lbs he obviously won't be ready for a booster, especially that one. When she comes to get him I will show her the Joel story and also the kyle and belle videos. I will also show her the Graco Nautilus and that maybe she could save up for it or get it with taxes, since it really will be the last seat she will need, even tho she thinks her new Cosco one will be the last one. Why do they make those carseats again?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC