Question car crash and seat

U

Unregistered

My ex was in a car accident- he says he was rear-ended. I don't know the extent of the damage. The child was not in the car at the time. Does his car seat need to be replaced? (I'm pretty sure I had read on here somewhere before that the seat needs to be replaced even if the child was not in it.) Where can I get accurate information about if/when a car seat needs to be replaced after a crash? Thanks a lot!

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Most carseat manufacturers say to replace after any crash, occupied or unoccupied. This article about crashed seats and insurance has links to many of the manufacturer's crashed seat FAQs and also some tips for dealing with the insurance company about replacing crashed seats:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=9575

scatterbunny

Most manufacturers do require the carseat to be replaced after any crash, regardless of severity, regardless of whether or not the child was in the seat during the crash.

What seat do you have?

Haha, edited to add that Jeanum and I are sharing a brain today. :p

MomToEliEm

You may want to read this post as it talks about when seats need to be replaced after a crash and also how to deal with insurance companies to reimburse you for the seats.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=9575

Depending on the brand of carseat you had and the severity of the crash, it may or may not be replaced.

If you tell us some info about the carseat and how severe the crash was, maybe we can help you figure out what to do.

Edited to add: I guess I was a little late in my posting speed. There weren't any replies when I started typing.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the information. The seat is a Britax Boulevard. I don't know the extent of the damage so I can't answer the questions as to whether or not the seat should be replaced. Even after that- he has decided to change my son to FF in his car (he is 26 lbs.)-ugh!! I will of course be keeping him RF until 33 lbs-the limit of my Marathon!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC