Overseas carseats and prescriptions?

whitejerabias

I've read a lot of talk about people importing a higher rf limit seats with a prescription. Can someone tell me more about how that is done? Where (country) do you get the seats from, where do you order them from, etc...

Thanks!

ADS

Adventuredad

I think most who do import seats choose the Swedish rear facing heigh weight seats which go to 55 lbs. US has a good selection of seats but the rf weight limit is on the low side IMHO. 55 lbs limit rear facing until 4-5 years of age instead of 2 or 3. I think it's difficult and some work to obtain an prescription, most (all?) import seats without it.

whitejerabias

Thanks for your answer. How do people find specs about international car seats. Also, if one has decided that they want to import a seat, where would you get it from (ie what website do you go to etc)? Do Swedish seats have the highest rf weight and height limit?

Adventuredad

Importing a seat is not difficult, you can count on help on this board from many members. The Swedish seats have the highest rear facing limits, 55 lbs., but there might be seats with higher seat shells.

Most common rear facing 55 lbs seats are Britax Multi Tech, Hi-Way or Two-Way, Brio Zento, or Maxi-Cosi Mobi. The seat shell for most seats is quite high, it's common for the Swedish kids to rear face until 4-5 years of age. Multi Tech and Two-Way have the highest seats shells by about two inches.

whitejerabias

How much does it cost usually? And also, can they be used as a FF facing seat once you reach the limit?

ETA: What about installation? Do international seats install the same way as American seats?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
What age and size child are you concerned about, and is there a special medical need for a seat that rear-faces beyond 35 pounds?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm curious about the idea of doctors writing prescriptions for foreign seats. I know they can write prescriptions for US special needs seats, likely so insurance will cover the cost.

But is a doctor's prescription sufficient to import what is essentially an illegal seat? Don't you need to get a waiver from NHTSA for that? It seems like it would be similar to a doctor prescribing medical marijuana in a city/state where it's illegal--the doc can prescribe it, but that doesn't mean you won't be busted if you're caught with it.

OP, I believe (and I'm sure AdventureDad or someone else will correct me if I'm wrong) that Swedish seats actually have higher RFing weight limits than FFing. (So in other words, the RFing limit might be 55 lbs, whereas FF is 40 lbs.) In Sweden they RF until 4, then go straight to booster seats. So you'd likely use a Swedish seat to the limits RF, then get a new seat for FF harnessing.

kmcenery

I'm curious about the idea of doctors writing prescriptions for foreign seats. I know they can write prescriptions for US special needs seats, likely so insurance will cover the cost.

But is a doctor's prescription sufficient to import what is essentially an illegal seat? Don't you need to get a waiver from NHTSA for that? It seems like it would be similar to a doctor prescribing medical marijuana in a city/state where it's illegal--the doc can prescribe it, but that doesn't mean you won't be busted if you're caught with it.

OP, I believe (and I'm sure AdventureDad or someone else will correct me if I'm wrong) that Swedish seats actually have higher RFing weight limits than FFing. (So in other words, the RFing limit might be 55 lbs, whereas FF is 40 lbs.) In Sweden they RF until 4, then go straight to booster seats. So you'd likely use a Swedish seat to the limits RF, then get a new seat for FF harnessing.

From what I have read on here (im not a tech) is that the doctor would write the prescription then you would have to file stuff with the NHTSA and they would have to approve it. Which I have heard is impossible even with a medcial problem. But I do belive the child has to have a medcial problem.
This info is just from past posts I have seen here. So do quote me on it all.

Adventuredad

Good points, I think it's tough to get "official approval" for importing a seat. Most Swedish seats rear face until 55 lbs and harness can only be used until 40 lbs. One exception is the Britax Two-Way which can be harnessed until 55 lbs. That's the only exception I know about. Some of the seats can be used past 40 lbs forward facing but with the seat belt. The seat then basically becomes a belt positioning booster.

We don't recommend using the Two-Way harness and instead use the seat belt since researchers feel it's safer. I know many disagree but that's how we use the seat here.

NannyMom

Good points, I think it's tough to get "official approval" for importing a seat. Most Swedish seats rear face until 55 lbs and harness can only be used until 40 lbs. One exception is the Britax Two-Way which can be harnessed until 55 lbs. That's the only exception I know about. Some of the seats can be used past 40 lbs forward facing but with the seat belt. The seat then basically becomes a belt positioning booster.

We don't recommend using the Two-Way harness and instead use the seat belt since researchers feel it's safer. I know many disagree but that's how we use the seat here.

AD,
So what it looks like you're saying is the harness is only good to 40 pounds, and then it's a BPB to 55 pounds RF? How do you have a BPB RFing? Unless, I'm misunderstanding you :)

BookMama

Senior Community Member
AD,
So what it looks like you're saying is the harness is only good to 40 pounds, and then it's a BPB to 55 pounds RF? How do you have a BPB RFing? Unless, I'm misunderstanding you :)

The seat is used RF, with the harness, up to 55 lbs. As FF seat, it is approved up to only 40 lbs. So basically once you turn a child FF in one of these seats, you would use it as a booster rather than as a harnessed seat.

NannyMom

Thanks for the clarifications.

Now for my POV :)

Since I know so much about what can happen to a child's neck when FF in a crash, I would have to say the benefits outweigh the risk for me. If I had a 1 year old that was 35 pounds, I think it would be better to import an illegal seat. This is me, making the parental decision of my family and my child. Not me telling others they should do this. How often do cops (at least around here) not ticket for non-carseat use? It's very rare. So if the parents that aren't using a carsat when leagally they should be, why should I worry about getting a ticket for using a carseat?

However, as a tech, if I had a 35 pound 1 year old come to me in a seat check, I would tell them to turn him forward facing. I can not advocate that someone else break the law.

Adventuredad

Apologies for not being clear, I blame it on the wine:whistle: Almsot all Swedish toddler seats rear face until 55 lbs. A few of them can be used as combination seats, but still rear face until 55 lbs. In Europe, it's very uncommon to have seats forward face with a harness above 40 lbs. The Two-Way is one of those seats, I don't know of another one.

The combination seats are usually used rear facing longest possible time, about 4-5 years, and then forward facing as a BPB. A good example of this would be the new and awesome Multi Tech. Rear facing until child grows out of the seat, usually by height, and then used as BPB until 55 lbs. That usually means 7-9 years of age. There are no seats here which harness children for higher weights since experts here believe it's less safe.

Rear facing a 12 month old instead of forward facing is about 500% safer. That's a a pretty large number, it makes a difference and saves lives. For me, it would be a no brainer. My son sat rfing until 4 years of age and I hope my daughter makes it until 5 (she's 2 now). I would use a Swedish seat regardless of location but that's a personal preference. Everyone makes their own decision and I totally understand those using other solutions.

fyrfightermomma

. A good example of this would be the new and awesome Multi Tech. Rear facing until child grows out of the seat, usually by height, and then used as BPB until 55 lbs. .

Probably a dumb question, but the seats only booster to 55 lbs? What do you do after 55 lbs if they still need a booster? Or do you buy a "dedicated" booster after that? Unless I"m just not understanding you right.

So the seat rear faces to 55 lbs, forward faces to maybe a lesser or same weight, and then is a BPB also only until 55 lbs. So 55 lbs is just the max for everything? Rear facing harness and booster?

I'm so confused LOL

Adventuredad

The seat maximum limit is 55 lbs. regardless if rear facing or as a BPB. The MT is a new car seat and also the most expensive one. Not many parents are using it yet. It's very popular with foreigners but not here.

The "default" parent uses a cheaper, but still great, rear facing seat such as a Maxi-Cosi Mobi, Britax Hi-Way or Two-Way, or a Brio Zento. They rear face until 4-5 years and then switch to a BPB. Usually something similar to a Britax Monarch. The BPB's are relatively cheap and offer good protection. Unfortunately, there are also parents who only use a booster cushion from 4-5 years.

A 8-year old boy who weighs 55 lbs is in the 50th percentile for growth so quite a few would be able to use a MT for many years. Using a seat from 6 months to 8 years is pretty good I think. Over here we must protect our kids in some way in the car until a child is taller than 135 cm. It's ironic that the law is lax here since car seat safety is so great. For me it says car seat safety is up to parents, responsible parents means safe kids.

minismom

From what I understand most kids outgrow the seat RF by height before they reach 55lbs, so those are the kids who would continue to use the seat as a booster until 55lbs.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm in CA. Here our law (like many laws) states that exceptions to the carseat law can be made "with a letter from a doctor for a child with a medical condition."

So by "prescription" what I'm really meaning when I say that is, I'm going to import the seat whether I can get a waiver or not, and then get a letter from my doc to cover me for the illegal use if a cop says anything (but they wouldn't...)

minismom

I'm in CA. Here our law (like many laws) states that exceptions to the carseat law can be made "with a letter from a doctor for a child with a medical condition."

So by "prescription" what I'm really meaning when I say that is, I'm going to import the seat whether I can get a waiver or not, and then get a letter from my doc to cover me for the illegal use if a cop says anything (but they wouldn't...)

Can you send me a link or something to where you found that law? Thanks!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm not familiar with that exemption. You can get medical permission to have a child ride in the front seat (I take that to mean a FF child under 6), but I don't see anything about doctor's permission to import a seat or go against manufacturer instructions.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27360.htm

There might be some other clause somewhere, but I'm pretty sure that's the entirety of California's child restraint law.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC