Ooooo, I am so mad right now!

Ann W

My sister and I just had an argument about kids needing to be in booster seats. Our cousins are coming from Norway to visit, and I told her that I have an extra booster for the little girl to use (she's 7 but tiny). She said she didn't need it, it would take up too much room in her car, and "it's such a hassle!!" (how is a backless booster a hassle??)

She doesn't understand why I'm so adamant about Matt being in a booster (he's 8 and 58 lbs, so he needs to be in some kind of child restraint). She told me that it's just another way for safety seat companies to make money and that I'm getting RIPPED OFF!!!!

I remember when her 2 oldest girls were little, they would climb all over the van. They were never belted in. The baby was in a shielded car seat and couldn't even see over the shield! This was in the early 90's, but still.

Has anybody run into this issue with anybody? Can anybody direct me to some good references - state laws, examples of fatalities related to improper use of seats (or not using seats at all)?

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Thanks Ladies!

Ann

ADS

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
Does your cousin want the booster seat? Who cares what your sis says! Talk to your cousin! Sounds like not much is going to convince your sister.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I was sort of under the impression that Norway has the same child restraint laws as Sweden. (I could be completely wrong about that.) If that's true, it's possible that your cousin is very safety-conscious when it comes to cars, and might really appreciate the booster seat.

Like the PP said, it's up to your cousin, not your sister. When are they coming? Do you have time to drop them an email letting them know you have the seat if they want it?

bubbaray

Not sure if car seat use in Norway is like that in Sweden, but it might be -- your cousin might assume that your sister will have a booster. They booster children until 12 or something in Sweden.... Maybe PM AdventureDad??

Ann W

I'm in Minnesota. Here's what the MN state law says:

Minnesota state law requires that children under age 4 be restrained in an appropriate, federally approved car seat or booster seat. Car seats must be installed and used according to manufacturer's instructions. Minnesota law also requires that infants under one year of age and weighing less than 20 pounds must ride in a rear-facing car seat. The state of Minnesota suggests that compliance with car seat safety law is a minimum safety standard, and suggests that children remain in a booster seat to 80 pounds and remain in the back seat until age 13.

So, legally, she doesn't have to be in a seat. I'll offer the seat to her mom, if she doesn't use it I'll pray extra hard for no accidents.

Ann W

I was sort of under the impression that Norway has the same child restraint laws as Sweden. (I could be completely wrong about that.) If that's true, it's possible that your cousin is very safety-conscious when it comes to cars, and might really appreciate the booster seat.

Like the PP said, it's up to your cousin, not your sister. When are they coming? Do you have time to drop them an email letting them know you have the seat if they want it?

I'm going to call her tomorrow. I'll PM AdventureDad, too.

Does anybody have any references to injury and fatality stats? Or stories?

Thanks!

April

Google: "Seat belt syndrome" or "Submarining+seat+belt" and you'll find lots of stuff related to injuries to children not big enough for an adult seatbelt who were using no booster, and how if they had a booster, they would've been better off.

Good luck!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
They are much more booster-conscious in Scandinavia. I bet your cousin, if you talk directly to her, will appreciate the offer of a booster!

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician

Ann W

Update!

I asked mom if she wanted to borrow the booster and she said yes - she does use a booster in Norway.

My sister picked them up from the airport (before I got the booster to them), and she said the shoulder belt came across Benedicte's face! Scary.

So I got to say, "See? I told ya so!" :p

I think she understands the reason for a booster seat now.

Thanks for your help and all the links!

Ann

Ann W

Maybe your cousin will convert your sister! Are her kids still booster age (by our standards)?

Yes, Benedikte (isn't that cute? We call her Benny) just turned 7 yestereday, but she is tall. She sits in a backless booster at home. Oscar is 3 and uses a 5 point car seat. I'll have to ask Anny what the name brands are ~ I'll let you know when I find out!

It would also be interesting to see what their view are with RSF and FSF. Benny fit perfectly in Matt's Monterey and she was very comfortable when sleeping.

Ann
Matt, 8 years old, FF Monterey
KIA Rondo

Kat_Momof3

RSF and FSF??? not sure what that means.

But I'm thrilled she's more safety concious.

I hope she was thoroughly upset that your sister hadn't brought a booster.

if she likes the Monterey, encourage her to buy one to take back with her!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC