Secondary Car Seat Shopping

bourriquet76

Well, DH wrecked his car today after dropping our little guy off at school. We're still waiting to hear the drill from the insurance, but he'll need two more car seats.

The kids:
DD, age 6, 47 inches tall, but right around 40lbs
DS, age 3, 40 inches tall, around 33lbs

The old seats:
Safety First Biltmore/Apex for the 6 year old (supposed to be for the 3 year old, but the big one fit in it!)
Cosco Five Point Booster for the 3 year old (couldn't pass up a $25 on sale spare seat)

The kids are in Regents in my car, which we bought after we totalled my car last year. Those replaced Marathons. These are their primary seats as they are with me most of the time.

From prior experience, the insurance company will replace the seats but they will not spend more than replacing those seats cost. So in theory, I'm looking around $130ish for the Apex and $45-50 for the Cosco seat. I'd like to not spend too much more than the insurance money.

What would you buy?

ADS

Maedze

I'd get an Apex for the three year old and a booster for the 6 year old. Unless you think the 6 year old absolutely must remain harnessed, then I'd probably just go with the combination you have now.

Niea

I'd probably get a Nautilus for the 3yo and a decent high-back booster for the 6yo if he can stay in position.

brelza

Well, DH wrecked his car today after dropping our little guy off at school. We're still waiting to hear the drill from the insurance, but he'll need two more car seats.

The kids:
DD, age 6, 47 inches tall, but right around 40lbs
DS, age 3, 40 inches tall, around 33lbs

The old seats:
Safety First Biltmore/Apex for the 6 year old (supposed to be for the 3 year old, but the big one fit in it!)
Cosco Five Point Booster for the 3 year old (couldn't pass up a $25 on sale spare seat)

The kids are in Regents in my car, which we bought after we totalled my car last year. Those replaced Marathons. These are their primary seats as they are with me most of the time.

From prior experience, the insurance company will replace the seats but they will not spend more than replacing those seats cost. So in theory, I'm looking around $130ish for the Apex and $45-50 for the Cosco seat. I'd like to not spend too much more than the insurance money.

What would you buy?

I would most likely replace the apex if your 6y/o son still has growing room in it. Not sure about any other higher slotted booster that is lower cost if he's outgrowing it. If not probably purchase an apex for the 3y/o and get a high back booster for the 6y/o.

Your kids sound a lot like mine tall and thin. I am having a MAJORLY hard time putting my 6y/o into a HBB because he's 48" and 42lbs. I just purchased 4 FPSVB from albeebaby.com($40 each and free ship). Three for my boys to use now as secondary seats in my s/o car and 1 for Erin to grow into. I feel as if my 6y/o will slide out of many HBB that are currently on the market. They both have regents in my van which is where they spend MOST of their time which makes me feel better but I understand where you are coming from if you want both of them harnessed.

MissAllyLou

I would get a Nautilus for your youngest, and a decent highback booster for your 6-year old, if you are comfortable with it. Otherwise, I would get 2 Nautilus' and hopefully be done buying seats for that car.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You could also get 2 Apex and spend $20-ish out of pocket, if both will fit properly in your car. BabyAge has them for $100 right now.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC