What year was LATCH in all cars

kmcenery

The tech I took my cars to for my car seats said that our 2000 truck does not have them but at a certian year (he said what year I forgot) all cars had to have LATCH just wandering what year that was.

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Top Tethers were mandatory September 1, 1999 on all child restraints and passenger vehicles.

They were mandatory in all vehicles (so trucks, suvs and minivans added) by September 1, 2001.

kmcenery

Ok thank you. Our 2000 ford does not but our 2003 ford does so was just wandering what year between that they were made thank you agian.

crunchierthanthou

So pretty much, all vehicles (except those exempt) had LATCH by the 2002 model year (and some had it earlier).

There are actually quite a few 2002 MYs without LATCH. September is well into the next MY production run (as evidenced by 2009s available now). Almost all had it by 2003, but I think there are even a few holdouts that finished their production for certain models before the deadline and lower anchors didn't show up until the 2004 MY.

Last edited:

scatterbunny

There are actually quite a few 2002 MYs without LATCH. September is well into the next MY production run (as evidenced by 2009s available now). Almost all had it by 2003, but I think there are even a few holdouts that finished their production for certain models before the deadline and lower anchors didn't show up until the 2004 MY.

Goes to show how much I know about when vehicle manufacturers roll out new models. :eek:

If new models years come out early (2009s already available now), and LATCH was mandated to be in all vehicles made after 9/2002, all 2003 models should have it, shouldn't they? :confused: I don't understand how it didn't show up in some vehicles until 2004 MY.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If they finished manufacturing their 2003s by Aug. 31, 2002, they didn't have to have them. But I am thinking that is very few MY 2003s.

scatterbunny

Okay, I can wrap my brain around how some 2003 models wouldn't have lower anchors, but not how any 2004 MY wouldn't, unless it is a vehicle that's exempt.

crunchierthanthou

If new models years come out early (2009s already available now), and LATCH was mandated to be in all vehicles made after 9/2002, all 2003 models should have it, shouldn't they? :confused: I don't understand how it didn't show up in some vehicles until 2004 MY.

If the manufacturers were making 2003s to be on car lots in fall 2002 they could finish the 2003 production run of certain models before September 1, 2002. That would allow them to squeak in under the cut-off and push introduction of LATCH to the 2004 MY. There aren't a whole lot of vehicles that fit this scenario. Without going through the whole LATCH manual, the only ones I know for sure are Audis- so not real high demand over here and made in a foreign factory. They were probably able to beat the deadline because they didn't make all that many and likely did the ones for the North American market first so they could be shipped over for fall.

I can't imagine any non-exempt 2004s not having it.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
"Light Trucks" (SUV's) were on a different phase in schedule, so some of them got them later than cars, too. (and didn't have the usual required number of top tethers till later years...like the CR-V not having a center tether anchor for a couple years there)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC