Backless booster for 7yo (46", 53#) okay?

InTheWoods

Would you let your 7-year old, who's 46" tall and 53 lbs., use a backless booster for carpool/play dates of no more than 2-3 miles distance on two-lane roads with maximum speed limits of 45 MPH where someone other than the parent is driving?

I'm uncomfortable with it. But maybe I need to ease up?

Parents have offered, for a play date, to pick up my DS from school, along with their child, and one today offered the use of her DS's former backless booster so that I wouldn't need to provide DS's HBB (Recaro Vivo). These parents' children use no car seats at all.

This is my first foray into anyone besides myself or DH driving our child anywhere, so I'm sure part of my discomfort stems from this.

Thoughts appreciated.

ADS

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
He does definitely meet the minimums, but *I* would personally not be ok with that for *my* child, but would sign off on a child that age/size at a seat check with no problem as long as there was adequate head support.

MissAllyLou

I just sold 3 of my carseats to fund a taller booster to keep my NANNY kid in a highback booster :whistle: because there's no space between my door and the kid. It's not something I'M comfortable with, but if there's adequate head protection, it's fine.

christineka

I wouldn't either. When I let my kids be babysat I insisted the mom use my boosters because I just knew that hers would be backless. My dds are 50 inches tall too. I try to avoid having my kids in other people's vehicles just so my kids aren't embarrassed by using boosters when their friends have been in just a seatbelt for 4+ years.

BW1426

Frankly, it would depend on what they drive. If they're driving a newer car (read: safer) I'd be much more comfortable with a lbb. If the car was older, I wouldn't feel so great about it.

And, I'm the type that would actually go look at the side impact crash ratings before making my decision.

I don't feel inherently bad about a 7 year old in a lbb if the seatbelt fits them correctly.

Chrissy

Do you trust the random crazies that are driving down the road in the opposite direction (oncoming traffic) at speeds of 45MPH or more if speeding? I don't.

Would it be possible for you to leave your Recaro Vivo in the school office for her to pick up on play dates? (This is assuming that you drive DS to school and could drop it off the morning of the play date.) And of course after you have showed her how it is to be used in her car.

InTheWoods

Okay, thanks, everyone for the wonderful validation.

The mom's vehicle today was newer, an SUV crossover; don't know if it has side-impact airbags. Might be comfortable with LBB here.

Another friend's older vehicle has no head restraints. Definitely would use a HBB there.

DS is going on a parent-driven field trip Thursday. I can't be there, so he'll be in someone else's car in his HBB--the only kid in the class in a HBB. A handful of others are in LBB and the majority in just a seatbelt.

I've rattled on, but I needed to get that out there! This will be DS's first field trip w/o me. :crying:

InTheWoods

...Would it be possible for you to leave your Recaro Vivo in the school office for her to pick up on play dates? (This is assuming that you drive DS to school and could drop it off the morning of the play date.) And of course after you have showed her how it is to be used in her car.

I've seen booster seats left outside of classrooms, never in the office. And while I'd prefer the office, as it's indoors and the seat wouldn't get dirty or rained on, I'm concerned it would get forgotten--out of sight, out of mind.

Also, it's heavy and the mom who drove the boys on the play date today was carrying a baby on her hip. Carrying the seat in the other hand and walking the block to her car isn't something, I'm sure, she'd relish doing.

I'll ask DS's teacher if it's okay for me to put his HBB inside the classroom on those days when we have a play date scheduled. Today's play date was totally impromptu, which, I guess, was good, since I didn't have time to get wiggy about the whole driving thing. Still, I felt out of sorts w/o DS for the afternoon. I missed him.

BW1426

If you're dropping him off at school, couldn't you just put it straight into the other car then?

InTheWoods

If you're dropping him off at school, couldn't you just put it straight into the other car then?

I suppose I could! Such logic I hadn't thought of. :rolleyes: :p Thanks for the suggestion. :) It would make me feel better to know the seat's in correctly, with the shoulder bed threaded through the positioner.

The only hitch would be calling this particular mom first to find out where she's parked--street parking on the blocks around school, folks can get pretty spread out. But totally do-able.

jsta1005

What if you dropped him off at his friends house? I know this is not convenient, but then your DS can stay in his seat with you driving.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
He does definitely meet the minimums, but *I* would personally not be ok with that for *my* child, but would sign off on a child that age/size at a seat check with no problem as long as there was adequate head support.

I completely agree with this.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
As with the others, it's legal and not the most horrible thing I've ever heard of, but I wouldn't be comfortable with it (my daughter is not that far off from the child in the OP) unless it was a situation far more emergent than "just" a playdate.

Kat_Momof3

it's not the worst thing, but since he is still on the smaller side to fit easily into highbacks, unless a car were incompatible (fixed immoveable headrest that interfered), I would simply have him take his own booster or drive him myself.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
So, when do you think it's a good time to change from a hbb to a nbb? When the hbb is outgrown?

Yep, when it's outgrown, and then, only if there is adequate head support- if not, a taller HBB is needed.

There is really no difference in safety between a properly fitting backless booster and a properly fitting seatbelt. However a high back booster is 70% safer in side impact crashes which are the most fatal. I'm going to get that extra SIP for as long as possible.

In an emergency a week ago...my son had to ride in a lbb in my friend's car(newer 2008 town and country)... I felt ok with it... But....If he could of had his HBB I would of felt 100% better. If you could get another HBB for this I would do that.

InTheWoods

DS actually has three HBB, and a Regent, too. So he's covered. :p

Following up: DS rode in another mom's car today on a school field trip to a pumpkin farm. There was one other classmate in the car (the mom's son) who is 6 or 7 years old and rode with just the car's seat belt, no booster. I was uneasy most of the day, thinking too much about the possibilities of.....

So this brings up another, semi-related question: do you let your kid(s) ride in someone else's car when there are other young children as passengers who are only restrained via the vehicle's seat belt(s)? In the event of an accident, aren't those other children projectile hazards for a properly/safely restrained child?

The class has a field trip mid-March 2009 to an aquarium 1.25 hours away on a 2-lane freeway w/ no center barrier and lots of fog. I'm already planning ahead for DH to take a vacation day that day to watch DD so I can drive on that field trip.

BW1426

So this brings up another, semi-related question: do you let your kid(s) ride in someone else's car when there are other young children as passengers who are only restrained via the vehicle's seat belt(s)? In the event of an accident, aren't those other children projectile hazards for a properly/safely restrained child?

They should not become a projectile if they are restrained by a seat belt. I wouldn't think that they would be a harm to your child, though they are definitely in danger of serious internal injuries of their own. At the very least, I would never want my child to witness the horror of the aftermath of improperly restrained children in the case of a serious crash.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC