No more booster? :(

NotJUSTamom

Im not sure if this is in the right place, but here we go!
Addison is 11. Shes in 6th grade. Basically shes not a little kid anymore.:( She does pass the 5 step test pretty well, and I'm wondering if she needs her booster anymore.I feel bad making her sit in a booster seat when none of her friends do, and honestly deep down I don't think she needs it anymore. I'm just a mom who is not letting her grow up lol! But, I just wanted to know what you all thought. Iv'e always had all my kids in car seats and I'm just paranoid :)

ADS

TerisBoys

You said she passes "pretty well" - is there any aspect that she's NOT passing? particularly belt fit?

If she's lacking in any area, I'd consider stepping down to a backless bpb.

FWIW - my 12yo is still in a booster (7th grade) backless. He doesn't have to use it in other vehicles, but my van has funky seats/seatbelts.

NotJUSTamom

When I say pretty well I mean the lap portion is slightly high on her stomach which makes me contemplate yes or no, but she’s ok in my car without it I just went out and checked. I might still make her use a bb in my husband’s car though the belts are funky in that car. Thanks! :)

TerisBoys

Just watch her for a while and make sure she's not slouchy in your car. Lap belt being on the hip is key for preventing internal injuries :)

U

Unregistered

I'm so glad to see moms that keep their kids in boosters even though the child thinks it "isn't cool!" My hub and his ex decided it was ok for my step son not to ride in a booster anymore when he was 6 which I totally disagreed on and they started letting him ride in the front seat at the age of 9 1/2 (our state law says at a certain height and being 12 or older qualifies it as ok for riding in the front, which he didn't meet either of those)! Oh, my Step son got mad because I told my hub that if he allowed him to ride in the front of our car and he got a ticket that I would not be responsible for paying for it or any of the costs like rise in insurance,etc.., so he couldn't ride in the front at our house until last year (he is now almost 13). My 6 yr old is still in a booster and will stay in it atleast until 8, I believe (unless his growth changes) he will be big enough to come out of it.

skaterbabs

Just watch her for a while and make sure she's not slouchy in your car. Lap belt being on the hip is key for preventing internal injuries :)

:yeahthat:

I second the suggestion to move to a backless rather than going to no booster at all at this stage. Especially with the study that came out a while back showing that until teh iliac crest is mature theycan still submarine out from under the lap belt even if it fits properly.

CrabbyBunchX3

When I say pretty well I mean the lap portion is slightly high on her stomach which makes me contemplate yes or no,

If the lap belt is on her stomach, then yes she still needs a booster.
I agree with the others who have suggested moving to a backless booster.

Last edited:

tiggercat

When I say pretty well I mean the lap portion is slightly high on her stomach which makes me contemplate yes or no, but she’s ok in my car without it I just went out and checked. I might still make her use a bb in my husband’s car though the belts are funky in that car. Thanks! :)

If the lap portion of the belt is not low and touching the top of her thighs, she doesn't pass all of the points of the 5 step test.
Could you take a photo for us (you can blur the face)?

NotJUSTamom

I would love to take a picture, but me and my grand Ideas took the camera to the beach this past summer, droped it in the sand, and now it will turn on, but then turn off 2 seconds later. Iv'e tried everything and now it's on it's way to Connecticut!:thumbsdown:

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
My 12yo still rides in a backless (he's petite). He can pass the 5-Step test in most vehicles, but I decided to make the decision about when to get rid of the booster based on which one provided the BETTER fit.

When he rides without a booster, I think "Yeah, okay, it's a good fit." But when he's in the booster, it's a GREAT fit.

My oldest is 14 and average-sized. He was a great example for me, because I got to watch him go from getting a better fit in the booster to actually getting a better fit without it - they do actually hit that point!

Anyway - my 12yo is at a transition stage. He rides without a booster in dh's car because that's a long story, and I'm okay with that. He rides without in my parents' truck, because the seat belt does actually fit better. In my car, he rides in a backless booster, because it's the best fit. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC