Question Do you know what this carseat is?

Blondie87

Do you know what this carseat is?- UPDATE

I had 3 of them given to me like 2 years ago.. I gave one to a friend (this seat) and 2 to my SIL for my niece and nephew. I would really like to know the year it was made if possible to see if it's expired.. and the weight restrictions on it.

My 2 1/2 year old neice 4 1/2 year old nephew (5 in Jan) use it. He is a lil over 40 lbs and he still uses the harness. This has all just came to my attention since I have only been learning about all of this stuff a month ago. I am not that comfortable asking them about their seats because they act like they know everything and will get mad if I act like I know more about parenting when I don't even have any kids of my own. But they aren't carseat aware and probably don't even know carseats expired or that there was weight limits. I did tell her to check her DOM cuz they expire after 6 years... But forgot to mention the weight limit then.

A lil about the seat... It is FF only, converts to a booster. It has an adjustable headrest, and it has lil knobs at the bottom of the carseat on the sides that you tighten the straps. Someone on another board thought it might be an Evenflo Generation but I looked at the picture and it doesn't look exactly the same. Is it an older year of the generation? Anyone know what year? That would mean it only goes to 40 lbs harnessed right?

I don't see them often and can't look in their car at the seat.. so I am hoping that you ladies can help me so I don't upset them, but I will if I have to. Sorry about how he's buckled.. she always had her carseats straps all messed up and twisted. At least the clip is in the right spot..

andrecarseat.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

crunchierthanthou

It's an evenflo chest clip. I agree with the Generations/Bolero guess. That lines up with the arm rests and harness adjustment knobs.

you can see it on the bottom left of page 4 here.

Blondie87

Anyone happen to know what year? Dang.. they just spent $500 on a cat.. they are gonna hate having to buy a carseat for him! But hopefully they make the right decision...

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
They are still currently made. If you bought them two years ago and they had current dom, they are not close to expiring just yet. :)

ETA: They only came out in 2004... so none of them will expire before 2010.

scatterbunny

They've been made since 2004, and are a current seat.

Since your nephew is over 40#, though, it's time to convert the seat to booster mode and hope he is mature enough to sit properly at all times. I'd just gently explain that you learned most combo seats have 40# harnessed weight limits, and point out on the label sticker that the harnessed limit is 40#, so he needs to move to booster mode.

Blondie87

I didn't buy them, they were given to me a couple years ago by someone that had 4 year olds. Not sure when they bought them.. oh so much I didn't know then...

Blondie87

They've been made since 2004, and are a current seat.

Since your nephew is over 40#, though, it's time to convert the seat to booster mode and hope he is mature enough to sit properly at all times. I'd just gently explain that you learned most combo seats have 40# harnessed weight limits, and point out on the label sticker that the harnessed limit is 40#, so he needs to move to booster mode.

Okay, I will do that. Hopefully they take it okay. I have shared information with friends, but never had to really correct anyone IRL before.. Especially a family member! I guess there is a first time for everything! :)

scatterbunny

Okay, I will do that. Hopefully they take it okay. I have shared information with friends, but never had to really correct anyone IRL before.. Especially a family member! I guess there is a first time for everything! :)

It can be harder to approach family and friends about stuff like this than it is to talk to strangers; family and friends tend to get more defensive, or not take us seriously. Just be sure to stress that the harness is only tested to restrain 40#, and it may fail with a child over that weight, and make sure they know the booster mode can ONLY be used in seating positions with a shoulderbelt, not lapbelt-only spots. If he won't sit still after some "booster training", they'll need to get a higher weight limit harnessed seat.

Blondie87

I did tell my SIL about the carseat because he is over 40 lbs and still harnessed. I mentioned that if they get the Graco Nautilus he might be able to be harnessed for another couple years and then it turns into nice booster, cuz I don't really like the evenflo generation booster mode. She said "She'd look into it" Hopefully they do!! They just spent $500 on a CAT! Just think of the carseats she could have bought with that money! :)

scatterbunny

Hopefully she does at least switch him to booster mode. I'd rather he be in a less-than-perfect booster than a harness he's too heavy for. Hopefully she does get a Nautilus, that would be ideal! :thumbsup:

Off topic, but are you guys getting any cold weather in your neck of the woods yet? I've had ice on my windshield the last two mornings, but the afternoons have warmed up to about 60ish, mostly sunny, so to me, it still feels pretty nice overall; cold mornings, but I can deal with that.

Blondie87

Cold! Mornings it's like 40... Hasn't gotten above 60.. so around 50. That's pretty cold too me.. lol.

So when do you wanna check out my seats? If you get them to work in the middle row I may miss the ease of just sticking them in the trunk.. lol but whatever is safest! :)

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I want to do it tommorrow. DH is doing some volunteer work though. Maybe more trowards the afternoon/evening will work.

Blondie87

K. Where do I go?

I think I'm doing alot of things wrong. I tried my best and the seats barely budge. But I have a seat saver under each car seat. They are not the hard rubbberish ones. And this is the worst.. I THINK. Since they are RF in the 3rd row, I wanted to tether them so I just hooked the versa tether onto the anchor points in the back of the 2nd row seats. Would that be "borrowing tethers"? I didn't think anything of it then.. because it keeps the seats from moving front to back. Anyways.. I guess you can check it all out tomorrow! :)

Tyler'sMom1117

I love to see it when people are helped on these boards. That is great that Judi is going to check your seats.:2thumbsup:

Off topic and a bit nosey, I hope I don't offend...Are you 21 and a foster mom to two boys. AWESOME!!! I became a full time mother at 21 with a 6 year old stepson. My dh was a young Dad. People always looked at me funny, like they knew he couldn't be mine, but maybe he was. LOL He's now 24 and he turned out pretty great. I'm getting old!

You guys are lucky with 40 degree mornings. It was 25 this morning in MI.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC