Question How many kids can sit to a seat to be considered safe?

ADS

BW1426

I believe the seats are designed to fit 3 people, but I remember them cramming more of us in a seat. I'm just positive the person on the outside with their knees in the aisle would have been safe :rolleyes:

As a tangent---I was in a bus accident in I believe 4th grade. It was a snow storm and the driver ran into a telephone pole. It was very scary and some kids ended up with neck problems. Thankfully I was fine. And, thankfully we were part of the way done with the route so everyone had adequate seating. The worst part was that everyone had to sit on the bus until they were able to get another bus which meant after the first person's route was over. It took forever and it was freezing cold.

beeman

Manufacturers say 3. Some bus garages recommend only 2 for older/larger kids. Anything more than that is definitely unsafe.

remken

Oh good. Since that is how many were to a seat today when we went to the pumpkin patch.

I do know Remy will never ride on a bus without me though after today. 23 kids and 8 parent volunteers and the kids were still standing up when the bus was moving, sitting backwards in the seat, laying down in the seat.

tiggercat

As long as they are completely in the seat (i.e. no legs hanging into the aisle), it is acceptable to have 3 to a seat.
IME, the kids just don't sit properly on busses, and there is very little encouragement to do so. Greg rides home on the bus (very short ride, low speed), and sometimes there are kids jumping all over the back, climbing the seats, etc. I'm actually thinking I might start picking him up at school rather than worry about him.

remken

IME, the kids just don't sit properly on busses, and there is very little encouragement to do so.

I totally agree with this. I had Remy and 3 other kids that were in my group that
I was responsible and they all sat properly for the most part. With occasional reminders. All the other parents didn't care how the kids were sitting.

ctbcleveland

My mom is a school bus driver - she's always considered the "mean" one because all kids have assigned seats (even middle and high-school) - they must sit and face forward at all times. She's tough.

all together ooky

My mom is a school bus driver - she's always considered the "mean" one because all kids have assigned seats (even middle and high-school) - they must sit and face forward at all times. She's tough.

My 4-year-old rides the bus home from school (only 4-year-olds on the bus) and all the kids have assigned seating. And they always sit properly. :thumbsup: Nothing wrong with a "mean" bus driver. Still wish there were restraints since they're so little.

courtfrog2

My 4 year old rides the bus and I had to fight to have the school get her a harness. One day I overheard her talking to my 8 year old about not being in one in the morning. I asked Hannah and she said it was a sub and new bus... then stella got mad because Hannah told me. Apparently a 4 year old is embarrassed being harnessed. LOL.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC