Call to Graco re- SR32

NannyMom

So I haven't seen the SR 32 here yet. I haven't checked Baby Depot, that'll be tomorrow maybe. So I got tired of waiting and called Graco. THe woman said the SR32 and SS1 carriers and bases are not interchangable. She said they won't fit. However, she also thought the SR32 did not have a knob like the SS1 for the foot, but then she looked and said she was wrong about the knob. She also said they will not be discontinuing the SS1, they will have 3 infant seats (SS1, SR32, SR22).

Has anyone heard differently, or tried the SS1 with the SR32??

ADS

Maedze

Good grief, WHY?!?!

Why not just discontinue the snugride and safeseat and have just the SR32? Having three infant seats is crazy talk :thumbsdown:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
This is what Safe Ride News says about it:

"The Safe Seat line is being remarketed under new names. The Infant SafeSeat will become the SungRide 32."

and

"The SnugRide 32 will replace the SafeSeat Step 1.... It uses the same base, including the lock-off feature..."

Sounds to me like it's the same seat with a different name.

scatterbunny

Sounds like another case of Graco CS not knowing what they're talking about (referencing Graco CSR Patty telling AndieW that the Nautilus does NOT need to be 100% on the vehicle seat in harnessed mode, and other CSRs telling everyone else the opposite). :thumbsdown:

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Good grief, WHY?!?!

Why not just discontinue the snugride and safeseat and have just the SR32? Having three infant seats is crazy talk :thumbsdown:

I wouldn't want the Snugride discontinued. I wouldn't want a 30-pound infant seat.

Maedze

I wouldn't want the Snugride discontinued. I wouldn't want a 30-pound infant seat.

Why not? I mean, if you don't use it to the weight limit I understand, but what's wrong with the seat itself?

I like the Keyfit30 better...it seems to fit little babies as well as a regular sized infant carrier would.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Why not? I mean, if you don't use it to the weight limit I understand, but what's wrong with the seat itself?

I like the Keyfit30 better...it seems to fit little babies as well as a regular sized infant carrier would.

It weighs more, is more expensive, and takes up more room in the car. I wouldn't want to see the snugride 22lb disappear completely all together either. I absolutely love the SS1, and bought one for my super tall torso'ed ds when he was 5.5mos and outgrowing the snugride, but the snugride has it's place - and for parents who don't plan to use an infant seat for that long, it's overkill to get a bigger seat & pay more money. If my ds hadn't had such a tall torso and had made it another 2 months in the snugride - basically get out of the cold weather where it was easier to bundle him up in a carrier then with a convertible, I wouldn't have bought the SS1 since I was planning to go to a convertible anyways. :twocents:

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
It's heavier. I would only want to use an infant seat in the very beginning until baby fits into a convertible, but the "very beginning" includes the immediately postpartum period, and the less to lug, the better (I know I could just leave the seat in the car). It's also more expensive, and if I don't want the extra capacity, I don't want to pay for it.

Disclaimer that this is all hypothetical anyhow, because if I suddenly find myself planning for another baby, the infant seat will probably be the least of my concerns!

Maedze

Well then you need to read my design for a rear-facing only seat that goes up to 55 lbs and tell me your opinion of it :p

ShumNum

Senior Community Member
I agree that the snugride has its place, but ONLY if they make a built-in lock off on the base for installing it with a seatbelt. I work with a lot of low-income families who don't have LATCH and when they can afford a carseat they usually but the Discovery or the Snugride and neither of those seats (in my opinion) can be installed well with a lap-shoulder belt by a novice user who doesn't read/understand the manual and how to use a locking clip. I was kind of hoping they were going to do away with the 22lb snugride and lower the price of the SR32... :thumbsdown:

Andie

When Darren blogged about the ABC Expo, here is what was said about Graco:
Graco is introducing the Snugride 32. It’s the evolution of the Safe Seat Step 1. The Safe Seat lineup will be phased out, though the models may remain with small revisions and new product names. The current Snugride models will also remain alongside the SnugRide 32, with all the variations found from retailer to retailer.
From here:
http://carseatblog.com/?p=189

I take that as eventually, there will be no more SS1s. I just don't think that they'd keep 2 seats that are essentially the same (SS1 and SR32). Looks like they'll keep the original SR, like the Chicco did with the Keyfit-22 and 30. :twocents:

MySillyKids

This is what Safe Ride News says about it:

"The Safe Seat line is being remarketed under new names. The Infant SafeSeat will become the SungRide 32."

and

"The SnugRide 32 will replace the SafeSeat Step 1.... It uses the same base, including the lock-off feature..."

Sounds to me like it's the same seat with a different name.

but the base of the ss1 is supposedly only supposed to hold the 30lb weight limit of the 32 lb weight limit of the new seat?

cpsaddict

Well, shoot! I cannot get the SR32 if it won't fit the Safeseat base. I already have several Safeseat bases, but I just love the patterns on the SR32. BUMMER.

mimieliza

So, I have a SS1 I am planning to re-use when we have another baby. But I will need another base. Do you think I'll be able to find one?

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
So, I have a SS1 I am planning to re-use when we have another baby. But I will need another base. Do you think I'll be able to find one?
I read the stickers on the Snugride 32 base when I was at BRU a couple of days ago. The stickers on the brand new SR32 bases say that they can be used with the Safeseat 1 as well as the SR32. So, you should be able to get another base to use with your SS1.
Renee

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
So I got tired of waiting and called Graco. THe woman said the SR32 and SS1 carriers and bases are not interchangable.

I called Graco on Friday. I was told the SR32 could be used with either base. SS1 could only use the SS1 base.

They are the same base, of course they fit!

cpsaddict

I called Graco on Friday. I was told the SR32 could be used with either base. SS1 could only use the SS1 base.

They are the same base, of course they fit!

Sweet! Hey, Judi, what is the name of the pattern on the one at Baby Depot? I want that one.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC