What's the scoop on the Frontier issues?

mommycat

Hi all,

I don't have a lot of time here lately, and I have someone asking me if there's anything new on the Frontier issues with harness, or any others. All I know right now is that there seemed to be an issue with the splitter plate.

We are in Canada and with the Nautilus not out yet, this friend is looking at options in case they need to get another seat before it gets here, but has concerns about getting a Frontier. What do I need to tell them?

Thanks!

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Some seats have had problems with the harness coming off the splitter plate. It seems to have almost always come out of the shell in the parents hand when tightening the harness, and is only an issue if the harness is loosened and tightened regularly. Not all seats seem to be prone to doing it - even amongst those that don't have the updated harness.

Britax has a new harness that they're using - they've added some stitching about 1/4" or so from the bottom of the loops that makes it impossible for it to fold in on itself. I'm sure if she had problems Britax would replace the harness.

I expect that Britax will have to release a recall on the harness, but don't know how long that will be. It may be worth her calling and seeing if they'll send a new harness out when she buys the seat and then she won't have to worry about it.

In the end it seems like the risk can be almost completely eliminated by not loosening & tightening the harness with every trip, loosening by pulling on both straps evenly when you do loosen, and checking on a regular basis to be sure the straps are still attached.

The Radian would be another option to provide plenty of height growing room and a 65lb weight limit if she isn't comfortable with the Frontier. It just doesn't convert to a booster...

If she'll never have use for a convertible seat, I'd be inclined to just get a Frontier if the Nautilus isn't here in time for her to have a chance to compare it, and then call about a replacement harness. If she's going to go that route, she may be best off buying the seat sooner rather than later so that she has time to receive the harness before needing the seat. Otherwise she could just not loosen and tighten it until Britax gets everything in order. Personally speaking, I'd rather spend $300 on a Frontier than $280 on a Radian if I wouldn't need the rf'ing capability at some point down the road, even if the issue isn't 100% resolved. (Assuming no other comparable choice of combo seat available at time of shopping. I'm guessing she's ruled out the Apex?) I would be inclined to not use it until the issue was resolved as long as her child has growing room in his/her current seat, just because that's my own personal comfort level, but if she needed it before then, and was careful with it, there's no inherent danger in using it if she follows the precautions given above.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Britax has a new harness that they're using - they've added some stitching about 1/4" or so from the bottom of the loops that makes it impossible for it to fold in on itself. I'm sure if she had problems Britax would replace the harness.

I expect that Britax will have to release a recall on the harness, but don't know how long that will be. It may be worth her calling and seeing if they'll send a new harness out when she buys the seat and then she won't have to worry about it.

That's good to know. Thanks Trudy :)

mommycat

Thank you Trudy, for typing out that answer! :thumbsup: They haven't ruled out the Apex, but I am waiting for kids stats and vehicle make etc before I jump right in. They have 2 kids and at least 1 MA, but beyond that I am not sure yet.

ETA: SORRY, just realized you weren't talking about the fraying harness issue!!!
Not necessarily! I am wondering in general if there is any other issues as well - what is the fraying harness issue?

I also seem to remember seeing someone saying the fabric was pilling/wearing after only 2 months of use.

Is that the 3 possible issues or are there any other complaints? :p

seamonkeys

Thank you Trudy, for typing out that answer! :thumbsup: They haven't ruled out the Apex, but I am waiting for kids stats and vehicle make etc before I jump right in. They have 2 kids and at least 1 MA, but beyond that I am not sure yet.

Not necessarily! I am wondering in general if there is any other issues as well - what is the fraying harness issue?

I also seem to remember seeing someone saying the fabric was pilling/wearing after only 2 months of use.

Is that the 3 possible issues or are there any other complaints? :p

Yes, there have been fraying on the harness strap by the buckle tongues (see this thread). And the pilling on the fabric others have found - I haven't had that issue, yet. :rolleyes:

Mama's Girls

so what date should I look for on the box to know I'm getting a new harness? What if I'm ordering online? After all this I am seriously considering getting a Nautilus. Ugh.

bubbaray

so what date should I look for on the box to know I'm getting a new harness? What if I'm ordering online? After all this I am seriously considering getting a Nautilus. Ugh.

Are you in the US? Someone here posted that they got a new harness/plate cover on a new US seat with a late-September 2008 DOM.

I don't believe anyone in Canada has seen/posted about Canadian spec'd seats with the new harness/plate cover.

If I lived in the US and couldn't find a retailer willing to open a box and show me that I was able to buy the "updated" Frontier, I'd buy a Nautilus. Heck, I'd probably buy a Nautilus anyway -- I'm pretty jazzed about that seat and DD#1 loves the soft Reece cover at Target.

If you live in Canada, the options are currently limited. The Frontier is the highest harness until we get the Nautilus (when???). Radian is next highest.

Mama's Girls

Are you in the US? Someone here posted that they got a new harness/plate cover on a new US seat with a late-September 2008 DOM.

I don't believe anyone in Canada has seen/posted about Canadian spec'd seats with the new harness/plate cover.

If I lived in the US and couldn't find a retailer willing to open a box and show me that I was able to buy the "updated" Frontier, I'd buy a Nautilus. Heck, I'd probably buy a Nautilus anyway -- I'm pretty jazzed about that seat and DD#1 loves the soft Reece cover at Target.

If you live in Canada, the options are currently limited. The Frontier is the highest harness until we get the Nautilus (when???). Radian is next highest.

I'm in the US. I didn't know the new cover was out yet for the GN. Off to check Target!

ginny4

what's the best bet with getting a frontier with the issues solved? is there a site that sends the current ones that i should order from. should i just try to find a new one in an actual store so i can be sure its a new one?

Mama's Girls

what's the best bet with getting a frontier with the issues solved? is there a site that sends the current ones that i should order from. should i just try to find a new one in an actual store so i can be sure its a new one?

I'm wondering the same thing....hope someone knows.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor

I think your best bet is to look for one with a new DOM. It may be easiest to go in to a store, but many online stores are willing to check the DOM of their seats for you. You could also PM the person who received the Sept DOM seat with the updates and ask where she bought hers - pretty good bet all the seats from that store would have a similar or newer DOM. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC