Day 3

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Today we went over misuse of carseats and did our hands-on training. One thing that came up today was when I had to install a rf infant seat in a single cab pickup with a locking clip. Well the recline wasn't right so I had to use three noodles and I knew that the instructors NEVER told the class that if you use noodles you can't use the recline level on the actual carseat base. So I asked 2 instructors who were standing nearby if that was correct and they got kind of huffy since they knew I knew the answer and was only asking to show that they forgot to teach the class. For the majority of the day we were in the vehicles installing carseats and then went inside to do a quick review of cps in other vehicles like buses, police cars, and pickup beds.
Tomorrow is our 2 hour written test and then we have our seat checkup from 2pm-4pm. Wish me luck! And I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Oh fun!!! sounds like you're having a blast and it's going really well for you. And what a great way to extend to the rest of the class the knowledge they should have gotten.

This is another area where I feel I'm going to be lacking. I never used an infant seat other than renting when my DD was 10 weeks old, and those didn't have bases. So I have NO idea how to install one (I'm sure I could figure it out) or how to get it in or out. I've never used a noodle. I've used Britaxes since my daughter's birth and if the angle wasn't good I just pulled harder on the tether. :) So compared to you guys I feel pretty stupid about such things. Probably compared to the other 12 or so people registered so far I'll know more.

Wendy

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Jenny~ I finally PM'ed you! Sorry I had to figure out how to do that and find the time that I could stay awake long enough to figure it out!

Wendy~ You will do outstanding!! Infant bases are relatively easy and TRUST ME you will definitely be more knowledgeable then the other students in class! I also pretty much only know Britax seats...my daughter had an Alpha Omega until she was 2 (over 3 years ago) and since then it has been Britax only or my Peg Perego infant bases.

Today we had our test (I missed 2 out of 100 questions and they were the 2 I second guessed myself) and then did a check up. The first lady had a Britax Marathon and had her 17 month old (over 20lbs but can't remember how much) daughter rear facing and knew her stuff. She said at Segals (local store with tech's) they told her it was time to turn her around because her feet hit the seatback but she said she knew that wasn't correct! She also said she had seen the videos of the rear facing versus forward facing...I was so impressed by her!!! I seriously would have given her a hug for being so safety minded about her daughter had it not be totally weird and inappropriate! ;)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
thefosters.2 said:
Jenny~ I finally PM'ed you! Sorry I had to figure out how to do that and find the time that I could stay awake long enough to figure it out!

Wendy~ You will do outstanding!! Infant bases are relatively easy and TRUST ME you will definitely be more knowledgeable then the other students in class! I also pretty much only know Britax seats...my daughter had an Alpha Omega until she was 2 (over 3 years ago) and since then it has been Britax only or my Peg Perego infant bases.

Today we had our test (I missed 2 out of 100 questions and they were the 2 I second guessed myself) and then did a check up. The first lady had a Britax Marathon and had her 17 month old (over 20lbs but can't remember how much) daughter rear facing and knew her stuff. She said at Segals (local store with tech's) they told her it was time to turn her around because her feet hit the seatback but she said she knew that wasn't correct! She also said she had seen the videos of the rear facing versus forward facing...I was so impressed by her!!! I seriously would have given her a hug for being so safety minded about her daughter had it not be totally weird and inappropriate! ;)

I hope so! I'm excited, but I still feel stupid about it. Two weeks from Monday! (in addition to the class my best friend is coming in two days before for a concert, then she leaves on Sunday and my mom and stepdad are coming in to watch Piper while I'm at class all week, so I get houseguests and people I love here with us too! )

Out of curiousity, what were the two questions?

I would have told that lady exactly what you told us. "I could HUG you for knowing your stuff, if it wasn't all weird!" LOL In my next breath I probably would have recommended she become a tech so that way she could officially spread her knowledge and make the world a safer place, one baby at a time.

You know the first thing I'm going to do when I pass? Going to get at least one sticker for my car that says I'm a CPST. Probably two or three. LOL

Wendy

scatterbunny

thefosters.2 said:
The first lady had a Britax Marathon and had her 17 month old (over 20lbs but can't remember how much) daughter rear facing and knew her stuff. She said at Segals (local store with tech's) they told her it was time to turn her around because her feet hit the seatback but she said she knew that wasn't correct!

OMG! I can't believe that. :( That's the second comment on this board about BAD advice from Segal's techs. We bought our first Britax (Husky) from them, but didn't get it installed because I didn't have a tether anchor yet and they refused to install it without it being tethered (even though dd was under 50 pounds).

I'm glad the mom knew what she was doing, regardless.

scatterbunny

I know you'll do great, Wendy. :) I can't imagine anyone who frequents this board on a regular basis who WOULDN'T do a good job.

rachel3612

Senior Community Member
Wendy you will do great! Just think, it all started because I said something about a picture of Piper. LOL You thought I was crazy for suggesting a higher weight seat too! So it took a few years but now you are just as crazy as me. LOL It helped that Piper is built just like Hannah was, tall and thin. On a side note, Hannah just got a one peice bathing suit, its a little tight and its a size 7/8! Tall and thin is hard to shop for. She is 6 years and 47lbs.

Rachel

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC