Awesome, busy carseat clinic today

scatterbunny

AndieW and I went to a carseat clinic today at a hospital about 2 hours away. Yes, we spent 4 hours in the car to attend a 4 hour event. :thumbsup: It was totally worth it, of course. :D

Judi and Judi's DH were there, as well as one of Judi's Baby Depot employees, and two other techs, plus Andie and two other greeters. It was probably the busiest checks I've worked so far, and it was awesome.

Some highlights I can remember now:

• Dad in a 1991 Nissan pickup with 10mo, 16# baby (not with him), in an Evenflo On My Way infant seat from 1998 that he bought at a garage sale. I tried to convince him that he needed to replace that seat ASAP, and since his family is on state-sponsored insurance, he qualified to get one of our distribution seats, but he balked at it. He called mom, who was supposed to be arriving shortly with her car, and seat, and baby, but he couldn't get through. He pondered for about 45 minutes before deciding to just go ahead and get one of our Sceneras. Thank goodness! Mom arrived in a really old Mercedes with a 3yo Evenflo bucket and decided to get a Scenera for her car, too. Both were receptive to ERF, loved the front adjuster, but seemed confused by the five point harness.
  • Family in older Pontiac Bonneville, older child only 55 inches, but 110 pounds, in a seatbelt, younger child (7yo), 65 pounds, also in just a seatbelt (illegal in my state). The 7yo arrived in just the lapbelt, but both were out of the car by the time I got to them. When I had the get back in and buckle up, both chose outboard spots with shoulderbelts, but buckled them very loosely. I explained the need for the belts to be tight. The darn shoulderbelt was SO high on their necks, and the boy was too heavy for all but the Monterey (price prohibitive for this family) and Britax boosters (price prohibitive and way too narrow). Mom said 7yo had a booster at home (ugh, why not use it, then?), and that she would use it from now on. I stressed the importance of not placing the shoulderbelt behind their backs, even if it felt uncomfortable, and dad made it clear to the kids, after I explained the risks and "whys", that they better listen. This family also got one of our Sceneras for baby-to-be, and dad installed it GREAT in the middle lapbelt spot.
  • This is probably the most interesting part of the check: a Jeep Patriot with North Carolina plates came in, with three kids. The 6yo was in a Fisher Price Safe Voyage booster, 4yo in an Alpha Omega, 18mo in a Safe Seat 1. I commented to mom that I had the same booster, and that it was uncommon to see them. She said she had a "carseat tech friend" back east. I said "cool" and we moved on. Later she mentioned that her friend was from Massachusetts and had three kids, and she told me her name. Small world, her friend is ThreeBeans. :p

I'm sure Andrea and Judi will be on soon to add their two cents. :) Judi had to leave the clinic and go to work until 10PM (Pacific time).

ADS

Andie

I'm sure Andrea and Judi will be on soon to add their two cents. :) Judi had to leave the clinic and go to work until 10PM (Pacific time).

I went to bed at 9 pm last night, I was SO tired!

My job was to follow Judi and get evaluation forms and donations. I got to see all the parents after they were done, but I did get to help in a couple of the installations.

~I speak broken Spanish, so I helped with one lady who didn't speak much English, her friend w/her spoke pretty good English, I just think she was uncomfortable, afraid she'd say something wrong. I'm definitely going to start taking Spanish courses when I go back to college this term, I think I'm going to need it.

~I was able to explain internal decapitation to a mother of a 13 month old, not sure of weight but he was pretty chubby (I love chubby babies!). Her eyes got real big when I explained it. She decided to keep him RF. :)

I was really thankful that Judi and the other techs there didn't mind if I put my :twocents: in from time to time. I get nervous, thinking they'll be mad if I do, even though I do know my stuff for the most part.

It was really fun, and is really making me want to get certified ASAP. I've learned so much from everyone here, and these checks that I'm helping at are helping me not to be too shy around people. :love:

I can't wait for the next one.

emandbri

How cool! I think it would be fun to spend 2 hours in a car with someone taking about car seats! :D

MissAllyLou

I was really thankful that Judi and the other techs there didn't mind if I put my :twocents: in from time to time. I get nervous, thinking they'll be mad if I do, even though I do know my stuff for the most part.

Back before I was a tech, but still interning with SafeKids Minnesota, I was always nervous that the techs were going to be mad when I stuck my nose in. But I found the opposite was true; they appreciated my input, and were relieved when I knew the answer to some odd-ball questions that they had no reason to know (like how long to use the infant padding on a Decathalon, etc.)

scatterbunny

How cool! I think it would be fun to spend 2 hours in a car with someone taking about car seats! :D

It really WAS fun. :D I had another friend along for the ride, she spent the day visiting family in the city while Andie and I did the carseat clinic. That friend was pretty bored listening to 2 hours of carseat talk, LOL! She kept teasing us. And, the whole way home was even worse (for my other friend), with Andie and I rehashing every car/carseat situation we dealt with. :p

Was my OP too long for anyone to notice that I met a mom who's friends with ThreeBeans? :whistle:

Starlight

Senior Community Member
I caught that - it *is* a small world. threebeans found me on another, totally different (like, way, way, way different topic) board a few months back. She thought I was AnAurora. LOL

:D

Sounds like you had a great time! :D

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
That family, with the old on my why drove me insane! Jenny was the best person for that car, lol. I forgot my good camera again, so I took a few pics with my purse camera.
For our area, it was a slightly slower check. The ones at the hospital tend to be busier than the other locations. We were down three techs, but also up two "new" ones. I had one tech that was so proud she did the versa tether all by herself. (I usually have to come show how). Well, she attached to a moving piece, so we still had to move it. Mom had bought the Roundabout off of craigslist. The baby was 9 months old and was about an inch from outgrowing the seat RFing. I talked about how to get a more upright install. She thought the baby could RF until the ears were even with the top of the seat shell! I talked to her about buying an Uptown to RF longer.

Jenny:
100_0473.jpg

Andie:
100_0471-1.jpg

DH:
100_0469-1.jpg

DH asked, after taking the pic. "Are you trying to prove I exist?"

scatterbunny

HA, I was the best person for that car? I felt like banging my head against the wall with that one. :( It all turned out fine, in the end, but I felt like there was so much wasted time.

This was the first time I've done a "city" check, so it felt busy for me. Andie and I did about 20 seats in 4 hours last month, but I wasn't keeping track yesterday, so I have no idea how many seats we did. Judi, do you know/will you be able to find out?

Working a check like this is really good for my anxiety. :thumbsup: As long as I'm talking carseat, I don't get nervous. :p The only time I'd get a little stressed was looking at our waiting line; checks in my neck of the woods aren't nearly as busy.

That RF until ears are even with the top of the shell used to be okay in the RA; Britax changed it a couple years ago, though (I might be way off on the time, I'm bad about things like that :eek:).

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
yep, you were the best. If not you, then I would have thrown DH in that car. We did 44 seats, and 11 new seats were distributed.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Do you remember any of the grandmas name, that we were talk Nautilus to? I emailed her.

Last edited:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
When I got to work, I ended up doing two more seats. Two MAs. Mom is planning on ERFing and asked if her seats were 33 or 35 lbers. She said to DOM was LESS than a month ago! She bought that military sale. A Marisopa and a cowmoo in a brand new Ody. I hate the Ody of the lack of a nice versa tether spot!

Andie

When I got to work, I ended up doing two more seats. Two MAs. Mom is planning on ERFing and asked if her seats were 33 or 35 lbers. She said to DOM was LESS than a month ago! She bought that military sale. A Marisopa and a cowmoo in a brand new Ody. I hate the Ody of the lack of a nice versa tether spot!

The versa tether spot is where you tether in RF mode, right? :eek: I haven't installed any Britax seats.

scatterbunny

Good idea Judi. I need to practice RF tethering, too. I've never done it; all the Britax seats I've been seeing lately around here haven't had the d-ring, so we couldn't tether RF. You showed me how to do it with the Radian in my car, but I'd like to practice myself. :)

Andie

I was looking at the course list, and I only see 1 in the state available? In Roseburg. :( Am I looking in the right place?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC